Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2005   #1
tacoman_j
Veteran

Lightbulb Who is Rocky Bernard?? Who? Rocky Bernard!!!

Who is Rocky Bernard?? He visited the texans yesterday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...10_hawk05.html
tacoman_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #2
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

It's this guy.
He's 6'3" 293 lbs... sounds like a DE for us. He had 4 sacks and 39 tackles in 14 games last year. He also is only 25 yrs old. Sounds intriguing as quality rotation.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

They say he is from Baytown. Someone around here knows him.
Quote:
DT Rocky Bernard, a restricted free agent who has been tendered for 2005 by the Seahawks, visited with the Houston Texans yesterday. Bernard is from nearby Baytown, Texas. The New York Jets are also interested, but the Seahawks have the right to match any offer for him or get draft-pick compensation.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #4
Alex
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman_j
Who is Rocky Bernard?? He visited the texans yesterday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...10_hawk05.html
Rocky Bernard is a defensive tackle and a former Aggies (Texas A&M). He played the last four years with the Seahawks. Last year in 14 games he collected 39 tackles and 3.5 sacks.

If the Texans sign him, Seattle have one week to match offer and if they don't Houston must give to the Seahawks a 5th round pick.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #5
pskinny
Veteran

Didn't know him personally, but I remember when he got injured his junior season. There was speculation whether he'd be back the next year. That summer my roomates and I threw this party at our house. That night, I see Rocky Bernard sitting at my kitchen table, I remember talking with him about whether he was going to be able to play the upcoming season or not. Nice guy, seemed a bit shy. I didn't want to bug him too much. Anyways, he played the next year, got drafted, and now he's in the NFL and our party got busted before 1:00 am! Damn....

Nice young player, had a good rookie year, besides, walker, payne, and smith, he's better than any one else we have on the DL.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #6
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4741 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I went to high school with Rocky. Actually, I played behind him as a DT and I think we had an english class together lol. Of course I hardly ever played. He's quick for a big guy, he'd be a good fit for defensive end in our system. I have been saying for the past couple of years he gets absolutely no love in seattle, even though Holmgren initially really liked him coming out of A&M. I always thought he'd be a great fit for DE here, but never gave it much thought. That would be nice, though, if he ended up back at home.
JDizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Sounds like a good fit for us, beside greenwood and this guy have anyone else visited the texans this off season?
Old 03-05-2005   #8
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

This would be a very good acquisition IMO, and we wouldn't have to draft a D-lineman in the first round out of need even though the Texans plan on drafting the BPA.
Old 03-05-2005   #9
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Rocky and I went to the same high school... only ran into each other a few times, dont know him personally. I did catch all of his games, though. I think he'd be a good pickup, even if he was just here to improve depth. Moving to DE in a 3-4 may help him blossum as a player. Apparently, JackDizzle and I also went to Sterling together.
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #10
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

sounds like he could be a good pick up, to bad we signed walker to a fat contract, and we got R. Smith who will only get better in our system, well having depth will help though !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #11
Rovator
Veteran

Another positive is he has 3-4 experience playing in college.
Rovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #12
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

when you look at our backup lineman which includes sears, ioane, and deloach if he re-signs it would make since to atleast spend the 5th round pick on this guy...he'll obviously be better than anyone we could get in the 5th round...plus he would be a quality rotational guy
Old 03-06-2005   #13
Cashmoney
Rookie

Rocky played DE in the 3-4 at Texas A&M. He tore his ACL at the begining of his senior year. He came back the next year and had a dominate senior year. He would be a nice fit for the Texans. He must have gotten in the dog house in Seattle because during his rookie year he tore it up. Haven't heard much from him since. He played Dt for for Seattle in the 4-3.
Cashmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #14
Chawky1
Veteran

I'm rather indifferent on Rocky....if we (seahawks) keep him, he is our 4th DT, and being a fourth DT on the Seahawks with a bad DL isn't saying much. Were some of you saying DE, he plays DT not DE. He has shown flashes of promise, but no consistency. Either way the Seahawks win....keep him and we have young veteran depth, lose him we get an extra draft pick to fill more pressing holes. Keep in mind he cannot beat out Marcus Tubbs, Cedric Woodard, or Rashad Moore. He had a decent second half of a rookie season with the Seahawks, then pretty much took a big dump since.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #15
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
I'm rather indifferent on Rocky....if we (seahawks) keep him, he is our 4th DT, and being a fourth DT on the Seahawks with a bad DL isn't saying much. Were some of you saying DE, he plays DT not DE. He has shown flashes of promise, but no consistency. Either way the Seahawks win....keep him and we have young veteran depth, lose him we get an extra draft pick to fill more pressing holes. Keep in mind he cannot beat out Marcus Tubbs, Cedric Woodard, or Rashad Moore. He had a decent second half of a rookie season with the Seahawks, then pretty much took a big dump since.
In the Texans system from what we can tell, he would be a DE. 4-3 DT= 3-4 DLman.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #16
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
We (Texans) believe almost anybody would be an improvement over the old, injured, and overpaid Gary Walker. So it would still be a win for the Texans also
Old 03-06-2005   #17
Dionysus22
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge
Rocky and I went to the same high school... only ran into each other a few times, dont know him personally. I did catch all of his games, though. I think he'd be a good pickup, even if he was just here to improve depth. Moving to DE in a 3-4 may help him blossum as a player. Apparently, JackDizzle and I also went to Sterling together.
When did he play at Sterling? I played at Elkins and I remember stomping Sterling pretty bad my senior year.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #18
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
In the Texans system from what we can tell, he would be a DE. 4-3 DT= 3-4 DLman.
Good point, my bad, he is wayyyyy too small to be a 3-4 NT.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #19
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
When did he play at Sterling? I played at Elkins and I remember stomping Sterling pretty bad my senior year.
If I remember correctly, he graduated a year after I did, maybe two... which would make him class of '97 or possibly '98
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #20
TexanFanInCC
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to TexanFanInCC Send a message via Yahoo to TexanFanInCC

i dont think our d-line did much of anything last yr. granted seth payne was stilrecovering from the acl injury. gary walker was virtually nonexistant, and robaire smith didnt make enough big plays to be noticed either. the problem i see is, gary walker is aging quickly and has a big contract on his head, so it is virtually impossible to put him on second string. seth payne got a big contract and will likely start at NT, and robaire....well, hes going to be a starter too. there is no place for rocky other than second string....but i would like to see us upgrade the speed at the d-line somehow. that is probably our weakness in the pass-rushing department. theres nobody with enough speed up front to cause enough havok to allow the OLB's to get to the QB easier.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read