Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-16-2010   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Duane Brown Live Chat 1PM Tuesday

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

Looks like I got the first question answered.

Blake - San Antonio, TX, US: Duane, What are the Texans planning to do to run the ball better this season? Draft better guards/center, a bigger running back, what?

Duane Brown (12:56:59 PM):
Hey fans, thanks for joining me. I look forward to answering your questions.
I think a lot of what we have to do to run the ball better comes from us up front. I think we have the guys we need. We've already added one guy extra, but I think it's more of a mentality for us than anything else that's going to help us improve. We just have to know in our minds that we can run the ball and then go out and do it.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #2
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Re: Duane Brown Live Chat 1PM Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

Looks like I got the first question answered.

Blake - San Antonio, TX, US: Duane, What are the Texans planning to do to run the ball better this season? Draft better guards/center, a bigger running back, what?

Duane Brown (12:56:59 PM):
Hey fans, thanks for joining me. I look forward to answering your questions.
I think a lot of what we have to do to run the ball better comes from us up front. I think we have the guys we need. We've already added one guy extra, but I think it's more of a mentality for us than anything else that's going to help us improve. We just have to know in our minds that we can run the ball and then go out and do it.
Oh ok, so the "I think we can...I think we can...I think we can" strategy who would of thought that would solve our answers in the run game, new nickname for our OLine..."The little engine that could."
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see, we currently don't have three of our OLinemen from last year signed, Pitts, Salaam and Pittman. One of those was a starter for sure, the other two were backups. We signed one guy, who even the coach said would not be a guaranteed starter.

Yeah.... I think they still have some work to do on that line, and they can start by re-signing Pitts.
Old 03-16-2010   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Let's see, we currently don't have three of our OLinemen from last year signed, Pitts, Salaam and Pittman. One of those was a starter for sure, the other two were backups. We signed one guy, who even the coach said would not be a guaranteed starter.

Yeah.... I think they still have some work to do on that line, and they can start by re-signing Pitts.
Does re-signing Pitts solve anything, though? With that microfracture surgery, he's probably lucky if he's PUP'd and can come back halfway through the season. And if he's not lucky, his career is over. I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury. If we sign him, it has to be for something really low that acknowledges the distinct possibility that his career is over.

To me, re-signing Pitts doesn't do anything to improve our line this next season.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #5
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Does re-signing Pitts solve anything, though? With that microfracture surgery, he's probably lucky if he's PUP'd and can come back halfway through the season. And if he's not lucky, his career is over. I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury. If we sign him, it has to be for something really low that acknowledges the distinct possibility that his career is over.

To me, re-signing Pitts doesn't do anything to improve our line this next season.
do we have more career ending injuries than anyone or is it just me?
Old 03-16-2010   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
I think everyone gets their share.

When you're a fan of a particular team, you're just more sensitive and knowledgeable about your own team's players and injuries.
Old 03-16-2010   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't expect Pitts to start, but he should be a good backup who is familiar with the system and the team. I would expect him to be signed for a 1 year deal that is near vet minimum, but in an uncapped year, who cares if he gets 2 mill? Honestly, this guy played his heart out for years for the Texans, and now they aren't even going to sign him to a 1 year deal so he can prove himself to the league? C'mon, he's worth taking a chance. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt again, gets cut and the team is out a million or two in an uncapped year. It's not like he would prevent them from signing some great guard in free agency.
Old 03-16-2010   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
Here is some info on it:

2009 NFL Players on IR

Quote:
Buffalo by far used the list most, placing such starters as linebacker Kawika Mitchell, tackle Brad Butler, safety Jairus Byrd and guard Eric Wood on IR. The latter two were key rookies for the Bills, who finished 6-10 and released their coaching staff earlier this week.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had the second-highest number of players on IR with 15, followed by the New Orleans Saints with 14, and five teams with 13: the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Texans and St. Louis Rams. Obviously, the Saints and Ravens managed to succeed despite the health issues, with New Orleans the top-seeded team in the NFC and Baltimore an AFC wild-card team.

The least-damaged teams were the Minnesota Vikings (1), Dallas Cowboys (2), Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets (4 each). All of those teams made the playoffs.
We tied 4 other teams for 4th most IR players in 2009 (pre-playoffs).
Old 03-16-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Oh ok, so the "I think we can...I think we can...I think we can" strategy who would of thought that would solve our answers in the run game, new nickname for our OLine..."The little engine that could."
So true. I dont wanna hear this "its all in our heads" crap. Either you have the power to push the other team, or you dont. If you dont then we need to bring in some hogs that do.

But I get it. He doesnt want to say that his crew cant run the pigskin.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I didn't expect him to say up front, "Yeah, we need a new center and guard cause' Myers sucks ass." LOL...that would be friggin LOL funny if he did.

Its nice to chat with players but its tough to get a good response.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't expect Pitts to start, but he should be a good backup who is familiar with the system and the team. I would expect him to be signed for a 1 year deal that is near vet minimum, but in an uncapped year, who cares if he gets 2 mill? Honestly, this guy played his heart out for years for the Texans, and now they aren't even going to sign him to a 1 year deal so he can prove himself to the league? C'mon, he's worth taking a chance. Worst case scenario, he gets hurt again, gets cut and the team is out a million or two in an uncapped year. It's not like he would prevent them from signing some great guard in free agency.
Chester isn't going to be wanting a near vet minimum contract and he's not wanting a 1 year deal. He's wanting a multi-year deal. We've already offered him a 1 year, near vet minimum deal and he wants more.

If we sign him to a multi-year deal, then his deal is probably going to count against the cap when the cap comes back. All the owners and gms are operating under that assumption. You're not seeing a bunch of guys going hog-wild offering crazy contracts because of that. So don't expect management to act very different because of the uncapped year.
Old 03-18-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We can sign Pitts any time we want so why not give him time to heal to see if he can actually contribute? If he is offered a deal from another team, he can bring that back to McNair to match before he signs.

I really have no problem with the approach Ric Smith has taken with our free agents. It's a business when a player goes elsewhere to get more $ and it is business when management uses CBA or lack of one to get better deal for team.
Old 03-18-2010   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Pitts was already challenged to fit athletically in Gibbs ZBS, coming off his injury he would really be stretched.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Pitts was already challenged to fit athletically in Gibbs ZBS, coming off his injury he would really be stretched.
Agreed but if we draft Mathews a RB that can go between the tackles, Pitts straight ahead push could be just the thing and easier on his knee. Your thoughts?
Old 03-18-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Agreed but if we draft Mathews a RB that can go between the tackles, Pitts straight ahead push could be just the thing and easier on his knee. Your thoughts?
they coveted Wade Smith because he is more athletic & a better fit (ZBS). Pitts might still retain his core strength with good leverage straight ahead but Texans want to improve the running game using redirection & cut-back lanes they achieve this through added quickness (enter Wade Smith).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #16
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd love to have him back but he chose the wrong time to have a really bad injury.
That selfish jerk.
Old 03-18-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaad View Post
That selfish jerk.

What the heck was he thinking?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read