Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-16-2010   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans working out RB, Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

This article, from the AJC, that talks about Burnett and Dwyer's pro-day, makes mention of an upcoming work-out with Houston for Dwyer.
Quote:
Dwyer is projected as a borderline first-round pick among mock drafts and has more workouts scheduled with San Diego and Houston.
It also talks about why Dwyer didn't perform as well as he'd have liked at the combine.
Quote:
Dwyer said a toe injury sustained in the season-ending Orange Bowl limited his training for the combine. By the time the toe healed, he had just two weeks to prepare, two less than the other players. Now fully healthy, Dwyer has also slimmed down. He weighed in at 225 pounds, four less than at the combine and 17 less than his playing weight at Tech. Mostly gone was the paunch that some scouts saw and caused some analysts to question his work ethic.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans working out RB, Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

I like Dwyer. But I think he is about the 30-40 range Which means we will have to reach or buy up for him. So say bye bye.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would be pissed if the Texans took him. Pissed. There are better backs in the draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My RB's are ranked

1.Hardesty
2.Spiller
3.Mathews
4.Dwyer
5.Tate
6.Gerhart

One of those should be available in rd. 2

I hope the Texans dont try to out smart themselves and wait until rds 3/4 to pick a RB and miss out on the real talent at the position.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 03-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From what I can tell, it seems like Ben Tate is the ideal back for us. 2nd/3rd round range. I think he'd be able to jump in and go right away. I like what I've seen from Dwyer but probably not near as good in pass protection... doesn't mean he can't learn though. I think Tate or Charles Scott would be the best picks for us at RB.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224716 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Mayock and the folks on NFLNetwork put a 3rd round grade this morning.
Old 03-16-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw the info about him on NFL Network and after Tashard Choice stated that they were in a pro style offense (a Chan Gailey pro style offense) that changed my mind a bit on this kid. His ability to pass protect is what seperates him IMO. I too believe that you reach on him if you get him in the second but after seeing how our FO is having interest in Matthews in the 1st, I don't see why they wouldn't go RB in the second.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-16-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My RB's are ranked

1.Hardesty
2.Spiller
3.Dwyer
4.Tate
5.Gerhart

One of those should be available in rd. 2

I hope the Texans dont try to out smart themselves and wait until rds 3/4 to pick a RB and miss out on the real talent at the position.
sometimes I think your stealing a peek @ my notes but not this time.

1 Ryan Mathews
2 C.J. Spiller
3 Jahvid Best
4 Montario Hardesty
5 Dexter McCluster
6 Toby Gerhart
7 Ben Tate
8 Anthony Dixon
9 Joique Bell
10 Jonathan Dwyer
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will edit

3. Mathews

BTW That's a great compliment because I know that you put in alot of time preparing your mocks.
Old 03-16-2010   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
sometimes I think your stealing a peek @ my notes but not this time.

1 Ryan Mathews
2 C.J. Spiller
3 Jahvid Best
4 Montario Hardesty
5 Dexter McCluster
6 Toby Gerhart
7 Ben Tate
8 Anthony Dixon
9 Joique Bell
10 Jonathan Dwyer
Thats pretty close to what I got, but I am still on the Gerhart bandwagon.

1) Matthews
2) Spiller
3) Gerhart
4) Tate
5) Best
6) Hardesty
7) Dixon
8) Blount
9) Bell
10) Dwyer

I dont like McCluster, I dont see him as a RB. He is a Bush-type player, slot receiver, 3rd down back and returner.
Old 03-16-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

1) Matthews
2) Spiller
3) Gerhart
4) Tate
5) Best
6) Hardesty
7) Dixon
8) Blount
9) Bell
10) Dwyer

I dont like McCluster, I dont see him as a RB. He is a Bush-type player, slot receiver, 3rd down back and returner.
yeah I know but he is going to create mis-match problems for teams up the wazoo, he plucks the ball better than Bush then transitions in space seamlessly
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #12
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1) Matthews
2) Spiller
3) Gerhart
4) Tate
5) Best
6) Hardesty
7) Dixon
8) Blount
9) Bell
10) Dwyer

#10? Man that is shocking to me. The dude played in a pro syle offense, has a 2nd gear to break the long runs. Can catch out of the backfield. Can shed blocks, and never missed a game in his GT carrer.

If we took him in the 2nd I would be doing backflips. I think he will be a great #1 tailback for someone. Especially someone who has a change of pace back to pair with him.

1) Matthews
2) Spiller
3) Dwyer
4) Hardesty
5) Best
6) Gerhart
7) Dixon
8) Tate
9) Blount
Old 03-16-2010   #13
Blake
MMQB

Oh, and over his 3-year period at Tech, he touched the ball 554 times and only fumbled the ball five times.
Old 03-16-2010   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
#10? Man that is shocking to me. The dude played in a pro syle offense, has a 2nd gear to break the long runs. Can catch out of the backfield. Can shed blocks, and never missed a game in his GT carrer.

If we took him in the 2nd I would be doing backflips. I think he will be a great #1 tailback for someone. Especially someone who has a change of pace back to pair with him.

1) Matthews
2) Spiller
3) Dwyer
4) Hardesty
5) Best
6) Gerhart
7) Dixon
8) Tate
9) Blount
Pro style? What about GT's offense is pro style? They run the triple option, no NFL teams run that.
Old 03-16-2010   #15
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Pro style? What about GT's offense is pro style? They run the triple option, no NFL teams run that.
They line up in a pro-set or I formation with QB under center. The tripple option is one of their formations. Not all of them.

Oh and tell VY that no teams use the option in the NFL. Cause he burned the **** out of us with it last season.
Old 03-16-2010   #16
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
They line up in a pro-set or I formation with QB under center. The tripple option is one of their formations. Not all of them.

Oh and tell VY that no teams use the option in the NFL. Cause he burned the **** out of us with it last season.
They run the option 90% of the time. They dont drop back to throw. Nesbitt chucks it up maybe 11 times a game. What pro team does that?

Let me amend my statement; No team primarily uses the option. And I doubt we see much of the option from the Titans this year, teams will be better at defending it.
Old 03-16-2010   #17
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
They run the option 90% of the time. They dont drop back to throw. Nesbitt chucks it up maybe 11 times a game. What pro team does that?

Let me amend my statement; No team primarily uses the option. And I doubt we see much of the option from the Titans this year, teams will be better at defending it.
Why do you care how many times they throw it? We are talking about the run game and Dwyer. He has good vision and hits the hole fast.

He does need to work on his pass protection skills, so it would be vital that he get into camp sooner rather than later.
Old 03-16-2010   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Why do you care how many times they throw it? We are talking about the run game and Dwyer. He has good vision and hits the hole fast.

He does need to work on his pass protection skills, so it would be vital that he get into camp sooner rather than later.
Pro style offenses throw the ball. GT did not throw the ball. They ran the triple option. It was not just a formation, it was their entire offense.
Old 03-16-2010   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Tech primarily uses the 3O.

But, Dwyer's freshman year was under Chan Gailey and his pro-style offense. He was Tashard Choice's back-up and ran for 5.3YPC and 9 TD.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Tech primarily uses the 3O.

But, Dwyer's freshman year was under Chan Gailey and his pro-style offense. He was Tashard Choice's back-up and ran for 5.3YPC and 9 TD.
This

Dwyer would do fine in the Texans offense.

He reminds me of Shonn Greene.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read