Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-04-2010   #1041
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official TexansTalk NFL 2010 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I guess I come at this from a different perspective than you.

I just finished a first round mock with Beerlover. In that mock the two of us worked together to build the best first round mock we could. We shared out big boards and then meticulously went through and made picks. We wrestled over picks, discussed them, and came up with a consensus between the two of us.

In my mind, this is not what is happening here. People are assigned a team or two and make the picks for that team. The purpose is to do the best job you can FOR YOUR team. In my case I am the Bills and Cardinals GM. So I am trying to make the best possible picks for those two teams. I am not trying to help anyone else out, since my focus is on MY teams.

In my mind the purpose is to see how various people evaluate talent and give us a fun exercise to do beyond a solo or small group mock. I signed up for what I have described. If the intention was to make this a more collaborative consensus mock, then I misunderstood the purpose and honestly would not have signed up to do it.

See, I see this like I do the Historical Figures Draft or the Bad Ass Character Draft. Build the best team you can and then compare notes afterwards.

I don't think we disagree on what this is supposed to be. I think we disagree on what we require from people time-wise to get it done.

This is NOT supposed to be a consensus mock. But we can't expect everyone to always be on the MB every day and we can't expect everyone to check this thread every hour or so. This is a very casual setting.

To me, that means we're better served waiting until the people who are up get their pick rather than forcing something down their throats. And it makes more sense to me to have people wait to make their picks until everyone ahead of them have made theirs.

To me, the "perfect" situation would be to block out an afternoon, get 32 guys, each with one team that they've researched, and then knock the whole 7 rounds out with everyone getting a few minutes to make each pick. Bam, bam, bam, and it's over.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1042
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't think we disagree on what this is supposed to be. I think we disagree on what we require from people time-wise to get it done.

This is NOT supposed to be a consensus mock. But we can't expect everyone to always be on the MB every day and we can't expect everyone to check this thread every hour or so. This is a very casual setting.

To me, that means we're better served waiting until the people who are up get their pick rather than forcing something down their throats. And it makes more sense to me to have people wait to make their picks until everyone ahead of them have made theirs.

To me, the "perfect" situation would be to block out an afternoon, get 32 guys, each with one team that they've researched, and then knock the whole 7 rounds out with everyone getting a few minutes to make each pick. Bam, bam, bam, and it's over.
Ok, I hear you, but during the week people work. Sometimes people cannot make picks and the draft lingers. It also seems(I might be wrong) but more leeway is given on weekends than on weekdays. On weekdays it seems that people are given less leeway and if a pick is not forthcoming the consensus is done much quicker. In contrast, (last weekend I think) was a good example of how a team was given basically 24+ hours to make a pick and even then it did not occur.

I think IF this is done again VERY specific rules need to be in place. The more people have to wait, the less interested they become. We had a whole group of fired up people at the beginning but then lost several becuase it was taking too long. This HAS to get done ASAP becuase people begin to lose interest after awhile.

To be honest, I am teetering on the losing interest precipice myself. I committed to 2 teams for 4 rounds, so I will do it, but I am becoming frustrated with the length of time its taking. I am the Draft Guru and LOVE draft stuff, but the slowness of this process has really sucked the life out of it for me.

Sorry to dump, but I wanted to respond and let you know my thoughts on the situation.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1043
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 262799 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, I hear you, but during the week people work. Sometimes people cannot make picks and the draft lingers. It also seems(I might be wrong) but more leeway is given on weekends than on weekdays. On weekdays it seems that people are given less leeway and if a pick is not forthcoming the consensus is done much quicker. In contrast, (last weekend I think) was a good example of how a team was given basically 24+ hours to make a pick and even then it did not occur.

I think IF this is done again VERY specific rules need to be in place. The more people have to wait, the less interested they become. We had a whole group of fired up people at the beginning but then lost several becuase it was taking too long. This HAS to get done ASAP becuase people begin to lose interest after awhile.

To be honest, I am teetering on the losing interest precipice myself. I committed to 2 teams for 4 rounds, so I will do it, but I am becoming frustrated with the length of time its taking. I am the Draft Guru and LOVE draft stuff, but the slowness of this process has really sucked the life out of it for me.

Sorry to dump, but I wanted to respond and let you know my thoughts on the situation.
Surprisingly, I think fewer people log in during the weekends.

Personally, I'm looking at this mock as like Chess By Mail or something. I check the thread whenever there's something new on it but I'm not expecting it to move quickly. I wish it WAS moving quicker but with a fairly open sign-up policy like we had, we're going to get some people involved who aren't as motivated as others.

I like the idea I had put in my post where we treat it like a Fantasy Football draft. Get some guys and have them research their teams and then show up at a particular time and knock a full one out. That would be fun. There would be more intensity when someone drafts your guy and you've got to scramble for a second option.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1044
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Surprisingly, I think fewer people log in during the weekends.

Personally, I'm looking at this mock as like Chess By Mail or something. I check the thread whenever there's something new on it but I'm not expecting it to move quickly. I wish it WAS moving quicker but with a fairly open sign-up policy like we had, we're going to get some people involved who aren't as motivated as others.

I like the idea I had put in my post where we treat it like a Fantasy Football draft. Get some guys and have them research their teams and then show up at a particular time and knock a full one out. That would be fun. There would be more intensity when someone drafts your guy and you've got to scramble for a second option.
Maybe its a generational thing. I would hate to play chess by mail. I do not have the patience for that kind of thing. I guess becuase the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Drafts moved pretty quickly, I was expecting this one to move fast as well.
Oh well.

But yeah, your idea of having a blocked out time and doing it in one afternoon would be awesome!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #1045
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Pats select Anthony McCoy, TE, USC

Picks have been updated here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70325

121) Philadelphia Eagles - Shaft75

122) Green Bay Packers - The Pencil Neck

123) Arizona Cardinals (Via/BAL) - awtysst

124) New York Jets (Via/ARI) - The Pencil Neck

125) Dallas Cowboys - Honoring Earl 34

126) San Diego Chargers - Shaft75
You guys know I took TE Aaron Hernandez from Florida in the second round for the Pats.

If your going to consensus pick, at least look at what the team has already done.

Either way, I don't really care. Just thought I would drop that bit of info in here. Sorry I wasn't here to make the pick but I have been working my life away for the past week.

To awt, a mock draft like this is always going to take a long time and is always going to have picks run out of time. People have stuff going on and sometimes they either forget or just get busy. People will always lose interest, it's just the nature of doing something that takes several weeks.

I like the idea of a consensus pick, having a team pick because the other team ran out of time kills the fun that is the mock. It becomes unrealistic. But if you are going to do a consensus pick, look at what the teams have already accomplished in the draft. The Pats have alot of needs, picking another TE would not be very wise IMO. They have needs along the defensive and offensive line.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1046
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Final Denver Broncos Draft:

1.) Joe Haden, CB
2.) Brandon LaFell, WR
3.) Matt Tennant, C
4.) Montario Hardesty, RB
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1047
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Final Pittsburgh Steelers Draft:

1.) Murkice Pouncey, C
2.) Brandon Ghee, CB
3.) Alex Carrington, DE/OLB
4.) Mike Neal, DT
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2010   #1048
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
You guys know I took TE Aaron Hernandez from Florida in the second round for the Pats.

If your going to consensus pick, at least look at what the team has already done.
Do you wish to change it?

SM
Old 04-04-2010   #1049
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Either way, I don't really care. Just thought I would drop that bit of info in here. Sorry I wasn't here to make the pick but I have been working my life away for the past week.

To awt, a mock draft like this is always going to take a long time and is always going to have picks run out of time. People have stuff going on and sometimes they either forget or just get busy. People will always lose interest, it's just the nature of doing something that takes several weeks.

I like the idea of a consensus pick, having a team pick because the other team ran out of time kills the fun that is the mock. It becomes unrealistic. But if you are going to do a consensus pick, look at what the teams have already accomplished in the draft. The Pats have alot of needs, picking another TE would not be very wise IMO. They have needs along the defensive and offensive line.
Sorry I suggested the TE. I was in a hurry when I threw the name out and didn't check to see what you had already picked.
Old 04-04-2010   #1050
Blake
MMQB

Looks like the Skins 2nd round pick went to Philly in the McNabb trade. So in our draft the Eagles get Golden Tate.
Old 04-04-2010   #1051
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you wish to change it?

SM
It's all good. Texans picked 2 TEs last year, I guess it isn't unrealistic.
Old 04-04-2010   #1052
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:

To my recollection the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Character Drafts did not linger and there were no missed picks. We went 10 rounds and gave each person ample time to make the pick, but each pick was made in the precise time. I did notice that people lost enthusiasm as the mock but we were able to keep it going at a nice clip.

Sure, I know people have stuff going on, but plan ahead and get your picks into the two main guys. Plus, if you are going to participate you should check twice daily(once in the morning and once in the night) just to see where you may be and how far it may be to your pick.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #1053
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
To my recollection the Historical Figures and Bad Ass Character Drafts did not linger and there were no missed picks. We went 10 rounds and gave each person ample time to make the pick, but each pick was made in the precise time. I did notice that people lost enthusiasm as the mock but we were able to keep it going at a nice clip.

Sure, I know people have stuff going on, but plan ahead and get your picks into the two main guys. Plus, if you are going to participate you should check twice daily(once in the morning and once in the night) just to see where you may be and how far it may be to your pick.
Rep. +1
Old 04-04-2010   #1054
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't disagree with you but people are going to miss picks regardless. Last year alot of people missed picks and if I recall correctly people were taking teams from others to continue on to go all 7 rounds. I think we stopped after round 3 and continued on in a different thread.

It's only April 4th though. We could probably go all 7 rounds before the draft starts if enough people actually wanted to do it, there is plenty of time.
Old 04-04-2010   #1055
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If we could get 16 guys to take 2 teams each and have them dedicate to this over a 3-4 day period we could do a 7 rd mock. I would be up for this.

The afternoon thing sounds good too.

The key is knowing whenyou're going to be up and PM your pick ahead. Wolf 6151 PM'ed me with a list of his picks. He was out and I made his pick. The draft rolled along without all of the down time.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1056
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rep. +1
Ditto
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1057
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles select Rodrick Muckelroy, OLB, Texas.

Final Eagles Draft:
Round 1 - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
Round 2 - Everson Griffen, DE, USC
Round 3(a) - John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss
Round 3(b) - Sean Lee, LB, Penn State
Round 4 - Roddrick Muckelroy, LB, Texas
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1058
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post

Final Eagles Draft:
I don't know the last two guys but those first three picks are SOLID.
Old 04-04-2010   #1059
awtysst
Draft Guru

The Pencil Neck,
If you are on, its your pick.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #1060
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post

Final Eagles Draft:

Solid linebackers in round 3 and 4, Lee was a solid player at PSU and Muckelroy was a consistent linebacker and one of the leaders on the Longhorns defense.

Good Job!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read