Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-03-2010   #1001
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Official TexansTalk NFL 2010 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think that we would need to address the holes still at FS and DT before we take another RB. I would nominate either D'Anthony Smith or Chancellor
Maybe ... but Chancellor is 6'3 and 230 . Anyways ... to me ... you go with the best player sometimes and not just try to fill holes . That's how Dallas ended up with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice in the 4th . Dixon is compared to Shonn Green who everyone wants now .
Old 04-03-2010   #1002
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

D'Anthony Smith is the highest rated guy on my board out of the DT, FS, OC/OG players available.

I've actually got Dezmon Briscoe and Jacoby Ford rated higher, I just don't see the Texans going WR here. I've also got Anthony Dixon around this spot but I think it may be too soon to hit a second running back.

I'd expect:

D'Anthony Smith, DT
A.J Edds, OLB -- Do we need a SAM?
Robert Johnson, FS
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1003
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Owens

People say the Texans need to stop the run and need a DT that commands double teams. If you want this Owens is the guy. Owens is the strongest player in this draft. (44 reps at combine) He only weighs 305 right now (about the same as Okoye) but should be able to easily put on 15lbs as his body matures.

Owens did the dirty work at Georga. While Atkins got the accolades.

Owens at worst will be a good rotational DT as a rookie and possibly a starter after a good offseason in year 2.

Choice no.2 Robert Johnson

Johnson is a playmaking FS. He has good speed and is very instinctive. Johnson also has great hands for a DB. I would trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 4th to trade up to get Johnson.

Value in this draft is in the 4th rd. IMHO

Adding Owens and Johnson would not only fill needs but add high character players with big upsides. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1004
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Give me Owens

People say the Texans need to stop the run and need a DT that commands double teams. If you want this Owens is the guy. Owens is the strongest player in this draft. (44 reps at combine) He only weighs 305 right now (about the same as Okoye) but should be able to easily put on 15lbs as his body matures.

Owens at worst will be a good rotational DT as a rookie and possibly a starter after a good offseason in year 2.

Johnson is a playmaking FS. He has good speed and is very instinctive. Johnson also has great hands for a DB. I would trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 4th to trade up to get Johnson.

Adding Owens and Johnson would not only fill needs but add high character players with big upsides. IMHO
You've convinced me on Owens.
Old 04-03-2010   #1005
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Give me Owens

What you said is exactly what badboy, beerlover and I saw while we were making our second mock. We were trying to find a run stuffing DT that is still the size of the Texans DTs. Owens was my guy from the beginning there. And the other 2 agreed immediately, that was one of the picks that we all agreed on, with no reservations.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1006
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He does sound like a Texans type.

I'm convinced.
Old 04-03-2010   #1007
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Owens 6'1 and 300 lbs ?
Old 04-03-2010   #1008
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Isn't Owens 6'1 and 300 lbs ?
yep 304
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1009
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
yep 304
and he's different how ?
Old 04-03-2010   #1010
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
and he's different how ?
He is one of the strongest players in the draft. Not just weight room wise, but he has excellent core strength.
Old 04-03-2010   #1011
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

My first choice would be Robert Johnson-FS from Utah and second choice would be D'Anthony Smith-DT from La. Tech., Smith is a little bigger and had better production last year. Also Owens had a knee injury in 2008 that slowed him down in the 2009 season.

I vote Robert Johnson-FS, he's a playmaker in the secondary that we need badly.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1012
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
My first choice would be Robert Johnson-FS from Utah and second choice would be D'Anthony Smith-DT from La. Tech., Smith is a little bigger and had better production last year. Also Owens had a knee injury in 2008 that slowed him down in the 2009 season.

I second Robert Johnson, we need a FS next to Pollard.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1013
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post

Robert Johnson is legit, and I trust badboy's view of him. He says that he could be had with our fifth round pick.

I am not buying D'Anthony Smith. He played at La. Tech, so not a lot of competition. And physically, Owens is a much superior prospect. Stronger, faster, and more agile. And I think he has a better handle on the game, Smith still looks so raw in his technique.

The knee injury is worrisome, but he would not be available without that injury. At the start of next season he should be at full strength.
Old 04-03-2010   #1014
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
I second Robert Johnson, we need a FS next to Pollard.
In the real draft I would trade back into the 4th rd. and take Johnson.

Both are great players. But the Texans need to draft 2 DT's in this draft.

One to replace Z-Man and one to replace Okam's lazy butt.

You start doing this by drafting Owens.

Wilson is going to be the starter at FS next year. They need to draft somebody to groom to replace Wilson. Johnson may be available in the 5th rd. If he's not Smithiak could draft a big CB like Nolan Carroll or Brian Jackson and let him learn under Wilson for a year or 2.

If Wilson gets hurt next year htey could move Quin to FS and start (according to this mock) Wilson and Reeves at CB. While the rookies learn. (Regardless of whether Johnson or any other FS candidate is drafted in the 4/5th rd)

Owens has a high upside and will contribute more quickly than any of the FS draftees at this point in the draft. IMHO
Old 04-03-2010   #1015
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

I vote for Owens here.
Old 04-03-2010   #1016
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

It's the weekend, how long are we going to wait on Hou-Tex before making the pick?
Old 04-03-2010   #1017
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's the weekend, how long are we going to wait on Hou-Tex before making the pick?
I say we put in the selection for Owens, seems to have a greater majority. Not a bad pick, I think any of the three Georgia DTs are good with Owens at the top.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #1018
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The Houston Texans Select: Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1019
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
The Houston Texans Select: Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia

Its been 15 hours since this pick. Surely someone has missed their pick at this point and the next team can go, right?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #1020
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Patriots probably should have picked by now.

I would suggest a TE, perhaps Anthony McCoy, USC

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read