Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-04-2005   #1
Vinnie333
Rookie

Default Casserly says texans will draft BPA

I was listening to sports radio 610 today and i heard Casserly say that the texans will most likely just be drafting the best player available come draft day. What do yall think of this and who do you think this player is likely to be?
Vinnie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty much what he says every year.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He was referring to the first pick and he mentioned that we had a bit of pressure to take a linebacker (somewhere...he wasn't implying the first pick) but with the Greenwood transaction our roster doesn't have any gaping holes so we really don't have to reach for players now. He seemed to imply that we were looking at linebacker fairly early but do not have the pressure now. He also didn't sound to hot on a OL at 13. He sounded less than excited over the OL quality at the top when asked directly of the draft although he mentioned its deep in talent.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #4
Vinnie333
Rookie

yeah, i heard him say that it was especially deep at WR in the later rounds. makes me think that we are going to draft one in possibly the 4th or 5th round.
Vinnie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Charley's approach...

We should take BPA at one of the following positions: WR, OT, CB, D-Line, OLB, in that order...
Old 03-05-2005   #6
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

a GM saying they will take the BPA is such a useless comment.

the BPA is whoever he picks. if he grabs some no name kicker from saskatchawan.. it will be the BPA cause "he has huge huge potential.. more than any other player available at that spot"
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
a GM saying they will take the BPA is such a useless comment.
Not really. If we really needed a guard and had the 3rd overall pick are you going to pass a guy like Derrick Johnson just because you need to fill a need?

Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather a GM say that we'll take BPA than say that we need a TE and have us take Kevin Everett when Troy Williamson hasn't been selected yet...
Old 03-05-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

yall miss the point .. im not saying that going for BPA is stupid. Im saying that hearing it from a GM is stupid.. because no matter who he picks.. it will be the BPA.

Yah.. taking someone like Kevin Everett over DJ would seem really stupid to us.. but then all the GM has to do is turn around and say "Kevin was the BPA, he has more potential than any other player drafted".. and BAM.. he covered his ***.

we would still crucify him of course.. but all im saying is that BPA is too loose of a term to base anything off of... and having a GM saying "we will select BPA" really means nothing.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #10
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

The texans will draft a CB to start grooming for Glenn's replacement!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #11
hound
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
The texans will draft a CB to start grooming for Glenn's replacement!!

But not with their first pick.
hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Cass is not only cagey, but capable of being downright deceptive when hiding
his true intentions for the Draft. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a particular individual targeted for their top choice and are willing to give up
one of their third round picks (perhaps even more), to move up and get their
man even though right now he talks in a vague manner about we'll take the BPA when our turn rolls around. Lets face it, the Cass definition of BPA may be the BP you can get in exchange for your #1 and your #3 (or both of your #3 picks). They might really want someone in particular real, real bad but
we're not gonna know that at this point in time.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans this week IMO.. have done a good job masking what we will do in the draft.. we have filled the holes on the defensive side. and if we sign a center we will fill a need there also. We have filled holes, yet we still need upgrades/depth at positions..

I am a huge Sharper fan and it does kinda hurt to hear that he can seek a trade.. IMO I agree with Vinny on another thread.. Sharpers Agent may be playing hardball with an extention with the Texans..Texans are playing Hardball right back. I don't know, but I am speculating being Sharper's agent is negotiating Sharpers possible last or next to last Contract (depending on the years of the contract).. Business decision's on both sides of the fence.

This flurry of info that has gone down this week, with signing of players/possible trade of players.. means one thing.. Honeymoon is over
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #14
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Not really. If we really needed a guard and had the 3rd overall pick are you going to pass a guy like Derrick Johnson just because you need to fill a need?
I think saying that we will pick the BPA is just another way of saying, I'm npt going to say who we are looking at. Now of course if we had the #3 pick we would choose DJ over Bass, but thats jsut common sense of the draft. Thats like saying that if we have the 13th pick and Aaron Rogers is stillon the board, he would be the BPA, but I bet we wouldnt take him. The Tesans just are saying something so that they dont reviel their draft secrets to other teams.
Like last year, CC said they were going after the BPA, but also openly admitted that they tried to get a deal done and move up for Sean Taylor after the draft, so were they trying to fill a need or go after the BPA? They have certan people we will go after that wont be reveiled to after draft day.

Last edited by BuffSoldier; 03-05-2005 at 11:15 AM.
BuffSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #15
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
We should take BPA at one of the following positions: WR, OT, CB, D-Line, OLB, in that order...
That comment eliminates taking BPA...you're taking a need that is a BPA instead of say Marc Clayton over Derrick Johnson b/c of that order
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I think saying that we will pick the BPA is just another way of saying, I'm npt going to say who we are looking at. Now of course if we had the #3 pick we would choose DJ over Bass, but thats jsut common sense of the draft.
Speaking of common sense, if you actually apply it to the draft you understand that taking BPA would naturally exclude positions such as fullback, K, P or QB (since we already have a franchise QB and two massive cap hits is not smart at this position).

Old 03-05-2005   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

wonder how many of us (i know i did) had the Texans takin D-Rob with last years first rounder . He was the best overall prospect left on the board at the time at any position . That is what BPA means . The best prospect available , the deeper into the draft you get the more muddied the term becomes as there is less of a difference in talent from one player to the next .

In this years draft there are very few players who STAND OUT from the rest and if you ask me there are really only TWO who are a step above all the rest , Ronnie Brown and DJ . After those two there is no huge difference in potential all the way to the bottom of the first round . None of the other players have particularly caught my attention throught the season / combine .

This draft is deep in several area's , such as CB , WR and OL prospects but not a one has set himself apart from the rest . The top QB prospects dont impress me at all . Neither do any TE's seem to be above and beyond their competition .

This is why so many teams want to trade down in this draft . Many teams at the top of this draft will overpay for talent that they could get 10 picks to one round later . As for who the Texans will end up with , its anyone's guess right now because of the fact so many players grade out equally .

Lets just hope several teams above the Texans reach for needs in this draft and the Texans stick to the plan of actually taking the best prospect available ...... not the best player that fills a need .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a question . Would Aaron Rogers be the BPA or is there an influence because of position ? He might be the first player picked but I don't think he's the best .

My opinion is Derrick Johnson is the best pick in the draft . He has a career to match his workout numbers .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Cass were to elect to trade up from 13, I don't think that necessarily contradicts the concept of BPA. Whos to say he would make such a decision
based on need. Lets just say, for example, that Cass thinks that Derrick Johnson can have the same kind of impact in the NFL that Ray Lewis or LT did, in other words not be just a PB LB, but be a HOF LB. Even if we would have to give up multiple picks in addition to our 13th pick to get DJ, he still might feel that 1 man can make a bigger contribution to the team than the collective contribution of multiple players (or multiple starters). To have the opportunity to upgrade your D with a player you thought could be the next Ray Lewis would be compelling. I only chose DJ as an example - perhaps he might think that Marcus Spears can be the next Reggie White, etc..
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #20
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I have a question . Would Aaron Rogers be the BPA or is there an influence because of position ? He might be the first player picked but I don't think he's the best .

My opinion is Derrick Johnson is the best pick in the draft . He has a career to match his workout numbers .

Aaron Rodgers is probably not even in the top 10 as far as best prospects in this draft , the only reason he is slated as the top pick is because of his position ......

The Top 4 in my opinion are Ronnie Brown , DJ , Antrell Rolle and Cedric Benson . In that order .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read