Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-11-2010   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kiper/McShay Duel Mock 3.0

Casserly/Capers blew it bypassing Wilfork, nose tackle was always the missing component building a decent 3-4 during Texans early years. Seth would get hurt & then it was Travis. Some 3-4 team has a similar need & should address it with Mt. Cody no later than 2nd rd.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #22
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

It seems all too convenient that so many mocks have us taking Kyle Wilson still over a month out. Methinks his stock is gonna keep climbing and we aren't gonna have a shot at him. He doesn't get past Pittsburgh imo.
Old 03-12-2010   #23
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
It seems all too convenient that so many mocks have us taking Kyle Wilson still over a month out. Methinks his stock is gonna keep climbing and we aren't gonna have a shot at him. He doesn't get past Pittsburgh imo.
The thing with that is that many guys stock are going to climb and that lets other needs fall. The first 2 rounds seem deep in positions of need.. CB, DT , OL and RB. I think at 20 someone will fall through the cracks ala Mendenhall or Jenkins, the Cowboys CB. I've yet to see a year recently where a few teams don't surprise and some guys slip.
Old 03-12-2010   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Many think Steelers will select Iupati.
Old 03-12-2010   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I would not touch Cody anywhere in the draft. Eh, I take that back, I would go 5th round and back.

Contrary to popular belief, the defensive tackle position is more than just big fat guys standing there. Those guys are true athletes that have to be in great condition. They are getting hit on every play. That takes alot out of you. They are constantly exploding against the offensive line, occasionally against two linemen at a time, each weighing about 300 pounds. The kind of effort that that takes, just to avoid getting pancaked is phenomenal. Now add trying to actually trying to make a play, pushing these 300+ pound behemoths out of the way while trying to locate the ball.

Cody, at 350 pounds, does not have the endurance to do this for more than 15 snaps a game at the pro level. And to make matters worse, he does not seem to care about getting into shape to be able to play more during games. He showed up at the Senior Bowl terribly heavy. And at the combine he was lighter, but declined to bench. Does this mean he lost muscle? He does not care enough to work on his body to get into the NFL, do you really think he is going to work hard to maintain it after his million dollar contract?

He would be worth the risk in the 5th and beyond.
Agreed & I have stated the view that he can't seem to remain in any kind of NFL shape. He lost pounds for combine but when I watched him work out, there was so much fat flying around, I would be terrified he might take out some of his team mates. If he can't get ready to tap dance in the spot light that gets him a lucrative contract, he will probably roller skate during his career however short it may be. Give me a Torrel Troup or Linval Joseph.
Old 03-12-2010   #26
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
The thing with that is that many guys stock are going to climb and that lets other needs fall. The first 2 rounds seem deep in positions of need.. CB, DT , OL and RB. I think at 20 someone will fall through the cracks ala Mendenhall or Jenkins, the Cowboys CB. I've yet to see a year recently where a few teams don't surprise and some guys slip.
To add to this, as long as the Raiders are picking before us, there's always a chance that over-hyped fast players will be picked well before most talent evaluators would take them.

Honestly, I think Haden running a "slow" 40 could put Wilson past him and both of those guys getting snapped up before 20. Sad really.
Old 03-12-2010   #27
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
After the first 3 games last year we were 2nd against the run and 18th against the pass.
OK, but the Texans had all of 4.5 sacks from the DT position. Maybe some of Antonio Smith's sacks came when playing DT in the nickel. Either way, the Texans have to get more pressure up the middle. A CB won't make Manning misfire. But, a 310 lb DT charging up the middle might.
Old 03-13-2010   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
OK, but the Texans had all of 4.5 sacks from the DT position. Maybe some of Antonio Smith's sacks came when playing DT in the nickel. Either way, the Texans have to get more pressure up the middle. A CB won't make Manning misfire. But, a 310 lb DT charging up the middle might.
Granted. Then again what happened in the SB? Was there a better DT forcing Manning or did a better or at least more opportunistic DB jump the ball? Maybe both. Like I said, this is chicken and egg. Right now I think the sacrificial chicken is the CB but upgrading either one would help.
Old 03-13-2010   #29
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Granted. Then again what happened in the SB? Was there a better DT forcing Manning or did a better or at least more opportunistic DB jump the ball? Maybe both. Like I said, this is chicken and egg. Right now I think the sacrificial chicken is the CB but upgrading either one would help.

Both positions are important. So, you got to take the BPA at your pick. It is a bad decision to reach on a DT if you think the CB is the better overall player and vice versa. As long as you acquire good players, they will hopefully stand out enough in practice to get on the field.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #30
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Both positions are important. So, you got to take the BPA at your pick. It is a bad decision to reach on a DT if you think the CB is the better overall player and vice versa. As long as you acquire good players, they will hopefully stand out enough in practice to get on the field.
Dan Williams is not a reach at 20, IMO. And in the current ranking no CB is worthy of #20.

I am praying for a trade down and a grab for BPA. If not I would be happy with Iupati, Graham, Thomas, Weatherspoon or Mathews at #20

If they trade down add CBs Wilson or McCourty to the list.

I would really love to get two 2nds from New England, but that's not going to happen.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read