Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2010   #1
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Offseason

I dont know how to make a poll but how long until the Texans make the playoffs?

Also not directed at just the sunshiners but I really would like to here from the sunshiners what would you do to improve the Texans chances of making the playoffs?

Some say the FO has done a good job aquiring talent. Others say the FO isn't doing the things necessary to imprve the team to make the playoffs. What would you do?

Some think Kubes is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Others think he's rainman.

Some think everything is hunky dory. Other are just about to wring their hands of this team.

After comparing things with I-Cak in another thread I realized that the Texans aren't that far away from the Saints.

There's something missing, what is it? And how does it get fixed?

I would love to here other fans opinions on where the Texans go from here.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Offseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I dont know how to make a poll but how long until the Texans make the playoffs?

Also not directed at just the sunshiners but I really would like to here from the sunshiners what would you do to improve the Texans chances of making the playoffs?

Some say the FO has done a good job aquiring talent. Others say the FO isn't doing the things necessary to imprve the team to make the playoffs. What would you do?

Some think Kubes is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Others think he's rainman.

Some think everything is hunky dory. Other are just about to wring their hands of this team.

After comparing things with I-Cak in another thread I realized that the Texans aren't that far away from the Saints.

There's something missing, what is it? And how does it get fixed?

I would love to here other fans opinions on where the Texans go from here.
We had impact players from the last draft imo: Cushing pro bowl, Barwin 4 1/2 sacks;Caldwell ? but may start RG, QUinn CB that started several games and may replace DR and McCain who looked pretty good as a nickle Cb, UDFA Foster may well be our power guy.

Another draft like that and a healthy year and we could easily go deep this next season. I think a back like Ryan Mathews could have a Cushing type impact.
Old 03-10-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 259990 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are right on the cusp. It doesn't look like much else of importance will happen in free agency (other that signing our own players), so it boils down to the draft or trades, and training camp to be more accurate about predictions.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we are right on the cusp too. However, I also believe the Texans need more experience. More experience in how to win the close games or games that come down to the wire. Also, what core member of this team has any playoff experience? 'Meco? No. Mario? No. Cush? No. AJ? No. Schuab? No. etc. etc..

The naysayers, will say that having the youngest average age for starters means nothing. Au contraire. It means exactly what happened last year. Sure you can put a couple of games on the K.C. and the Brown Band, but even with that said, an experienced group would find ways to overcome some of those situations and other adversity.
Old 03-10-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 43270 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I think we are right on the cusp too. However, I also believe the Texans need more experience. More experience in how to win the close games or games that come down to the wire. Also, what core member of this team has any playoff experience? 'Meco? No. Mario? No. Cush? No. AJ? No. Schuab? No. etc. etc..

The naysayers, will say that having the youngest average age for starters means nothing. Au contraire. It means exactly what happened last year. Sure you can put a couple of games on the K.C. and the Brown Band, but even with that said, an experienced group would find ways to overcome some of those situations and other adversity.
Good Point! A key veteran would help out alot.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 259990 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Excellent! Let's go get us some old running backs! LOL

I kid...but I agree with your point.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Excellent! Let's go get us some old running backs! LOL

I kid...but I agree with your point.
I'm not even saying that. I'm saying let this very young core group of guys grow up together. These are the teams stars and these are the guys that need to learn how to win. We've tried the old wiley vet thingy.
Old 03-10-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This team is in dire need of leadership. IMHO

I dont know how they are going to add that leadership but until they do they will contniue to be a middle of the pack kinda team.
Old 03-10-2010   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I dont know how they are going to add that leadership but until they do they will contniue to be a middle of the pack kinda team.
His name is Keith Bulluck if the Titans let him go....which they are rumored to do just that.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

What kinda leadership? DeMeco on defense? Andre Johnson on offense? Mario? Maybe even Cushing? Schaub? What kind of leadership are you talking about? A 'mouth' like Gary Walker?

The leadership is there. They, as a very young unit, just need to learn how to win close games, and games coming down to the wire. How do they do that? By learning from seasons like last year.
Old 03-10-2010   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98311 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What kinda leadership? DeMeco on defense? Andre Johnson on offense? Mario? Maybe even Cushing? Schaub? What kind of leadership are you talking about? A 'mouth' like Gary Walker?

The leadership is there. They, as a very young unit, just need to learn how to win close games, and games coming down to the wire. How do they do that? By learning from seasons like last year.
DeMeco tries to be, but we need a ass kicker, let's go in their house and take no prisoners and even kick their mothers in the ass type of guy. Cushing is the guy I have the biggest hope for.

Andre Johnson doesn't talk and leads by example on the field, which is great, because it helps keep egos in check, but he isn't much of a rah rah locker room guy.

Basically when you think about it, it isn't much of a "leadership" problem as more as it's a "attitude" problem. Think about it, we all got pissed at Bulluck when he said he was going to come to Houston and knock us off our high horse and out of the playoff race........but what actually happened? He and his team did just that? We need a guy who'll actually drop some press clipings, get some people in the locker room to play with a little more anger/pride on the field (Mario I'm looking at you), and bring MORE ATTITUDE. That kind of attitude only comes with confidence and swagger of having "been there before, expect to be there again, and every other year". That's the difference between veteran leadership/attitude, and the players we currently have on this team who don't even know if they've had their "turn the corner" moment yet.

When I look at this team, I see a team that has ALOT of the right pieces, but just might not know the way. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a grizzled vet.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-10-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
His name is Keith Bulluck if the Titans let him go....which they are rumored to do just that.
Good choice

I'm not saying Mawae but somebody like him to lead the OL. A guy who after a bad 1st half can help rally the troops. He can also teach the ypug guys (our OL is very young) how to prepare for a big game.

Or Sharper to lead the secondary. Aguy that can get the S lined up correctly so that MJD doesn't break off long runs. Or makes sure the secondary is lined up correctly when C.Johnson was splits out of the backfield at the WR position.

This is more about having been around the block than overall talent.
Old 03-10-2010   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We don't have any "quality vets". Players with 10+ years in the league that are still good enough to start. Add to that the fact we're young and inexperienced across the board since Kubiak took over (first time HC, coordinators, GM, starting QB...) and its no surprise we're as inconsistent a team as we have been.

Look at the Saints: First time HC just like we had inheriting a terrible team just like Kubiak did. They added Brees in 06, definitely a gamble coming off the shoulder injury but they hit a homerun (Franchise QB check). They had similar years as we have been having with a first time HC. But they added a quality vet in Sharper on defense as well as getting a DC who's been around the block in Gregg Williams to make up the difference between 8-8 and Super Bowl.

Sometimes that's all it takes to close up the weaknesses so that your strengths you've had already can shine on the biggest stage in sports.
Old 03-12-2010   #14
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Comparing the roster now to the roster we had when Smith and Kubiak took over is night and day.
Old 03-12-2010   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 263816 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year's team was a playoff caliber team. They didn't make the playoffs but that's the NFL. Several other playoff caliber teams didn't make the playoffs, either. That doesn't mean the coaches are bad. That doesn't mean that the players are bad. It just means that the random factors didn't align.

As I said in another thread just a few minutes ago, to me, the biggest weakness of this team is the running game. This offense is supposed to be about balance and being able to run when the other team expects pass and pass when the other team expects run. This offense is supposed to be about being able to rip off 4-5 yards a pop whenever we feel like it.

Without that ability to run, our team isn't as effective because even though we can throw, throwing teams have an inherent problem holding on to leads and an inherent boom/bust component. And that was our problem last year. When the passing game wasn't hitting on all cylinders, we looked flat and/or we couldn't hold on to a lead.

There are 2 ways to improve the running game: get a better RB or improve the OLine. We should do both through the draft.

We also need to replace CB, upgrade FS, and upgrade the interior of our DLine.

So, for me, the first two rounds are about RB and CB. The third through fifth rounds are about G/C, FS, and DT. After that, BPA.

We also need to keep working FA to see if we can upgrade any other positions.

For me, we improve our team and the playoffs will come because this is already a good team.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately the Texans make most of their hay past the NFL draft not before. We're really not going to know whats going on until we see where they slot new draft picks.

With free agency being as neutered as it is right now I'm going to have to say that the offseason has mostly gone on as Smith/Kubiak/McNair has planned it. They said they weren't going to get older RB's, they didn't. They let Dunta walk for gobs of money that I, personally, don't feel he is worth. They signed one guy of dubious skill level to a contract I don't particularly like for his dubious skill level, but it's not on the level of the Carr extension.

Put me down for Incomplete if this is a poll.
Old 03-12-2010   #17
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

I think everyone here has a point. We lack that leader on both sides of the ball, but I think their are two players on defense that can be those guys, Cushing and Pollard. On offense, I don't know, Schaub may very well be the guy, his coming back onto the field last year after the injury to me, showed me, and I think his teammates he can be depended on to lead this team to victory.
Overall, I found their lack of consistency, and the folding chair maneuver after the Monday night game with the Titans, to be the actions of an immature, not ready to take it to the next level team. I blamed it on preparedness by the coaching staff, but Mr. McNair didn't see it that way, so I'm back onboard for another year of abuse, but with deep down desires to be part of a winner.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #18
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

This coming season.

We would have been in the playoffs, if Cincy and Indy didn't lay down on the field for the Jets. Now, we still could have been in better control of our own destiny and the Cincy/Indy games wouldn't have mattered. I'm guessing that just about anyone on the boards can find error in just about every phase of the 09 season.. preparation, execution, injury, bla bla bla.

Fact is, we're there - minus one element.... showing up for divisional games.

1-5 isn't going to cut it.

If I'm McNair, I tell Kube's: you go 5-11 this year and you still have a job, so long as you go 5-1 in the division. You go 11-5 this year and I'll fire you if it's 1-5 in the division.

When you can't win the division, it's luck and circumstance that makes the playoffs. Last year, it went against us. This year it could bounce in our favor... WIN the division and I promise, NOBODY cares.
Old 03-12-2010   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
This coming season.

We would have been in the playoffs, if Cincy and Indy didn't lay down on the field for the Jets. Now, we still could have been in better control of our own destiny and the Cincy/Indy games wouldn't have mattered. I'm guessing that just about anyone on the boards can find error in just about every phase of the 09 season.. preparation, execution, injury, bla bla bla.

Fact is, we're there - minus one element.... showing up for divisional games.

1-5 isn't going to cut it.

If I'm McNair, I tell Kube's: you go 5-11 this year and you still have a job, so long as you go 5-1 in the division. You go 11-5 this year and I'll fire you if it's 1-5 in the division.

When you can't win the division, it's luck and circumstance that makes the playoffs. Last year, it went against us. This year it could bounce in our favor... WIN the division and I promise, NOBODY cares.
If you went 11 - 5 and lost all 5 games in the AFCS you would still* be on your way to the playoffs.

*Okay you could get left out like NE that one time but you are more than likely in with that record, even if all of your losses were to divisional opponents.
Old 03-12-2010   #20
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If you went 11 - 5 and lost all 5 games in the AFCS you would still* be on your way to the playoffs.

*Okay you could get left out like NE that one time but you are more than likely in with that record, even if all of your losses were to divisional opponents.
Agree... I was being a tad extreme to make a point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read