Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-09-2010   #1
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defensive tackle Sleeper- Darryl Jackson

As most of you know, I spend a lot of time scouting small school prospects, the players from FCS (D1AA), D2, D3 and NAIA. In lieu of posting positional top ten lists (which did not garner as much interest as the effort I put into them), I have decided to just make threads devoted to particular players.

The first installment of this series is Kean University defensive tackle Darryl Jackson.

Statistics

2006:
6'1" 325 lbs
10 tackles, .5 TFL, 1 sack

2007:
6'1" 330 lbs
32 tackles, 4 TFL, 2.5 sacks

6'1" 355 lbs
32 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks

6'1" 330 lbs
41 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 3 sacks

Analysis

As you can see, Jackson improved as his career progressed, which is something that you need to see from small school prospects. To make this even more impressive, he did this as the NT in the 3-4, and as the article states, he was taking 3 blockers at a time regularly. The footage on this guy is very impressive. He looked like a man among boys on the field, tossing people out of his way.

Weight has been a serious issue. And I do not believe for a second the reported weight for his senior year, I estimated him at over 360 pounds. However, if the article is to be believed, he is down to 310. That is perfect for the Texans. He can be a run stuffer on running downs. He will very rarely get to the QB, but he was very hard to run by. With some NFL coaching, he could become a legit run plugger at the next level.

Draft Projection

Undrafted Free Agent

Darryl Jackson played college ball like Mt. Cody. However, unlike Cody, he has shown the effort to get an NFL body, dropping at least 20 pounds (more like 50) in preparation for the combine. He would be well worth a camp contract, to be stashed on the practice squad for a year or two.

http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...rryl_jack.html
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive tackle Sleeper- Darryl Jackson

I agree , a small college player may be hungrier ... err ... more ambitious than Cody .
Old 03-10-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How does Jackson compare to SL Hill from Stillman last year?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #4
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I agree , a small college player may be hungrier ... err ... more ambitious than Cody .
I am glad someone else agrees. Jackson would cost only a UDFA contract, could be cut after camp for no cap hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
How does Jackson compare to SL Hill from Stillman last year?
Unfavorably. Hill was dominant at a higher level and was more effective rushing the passer. Jackson is more of a run plugger, and is probably stronger. Just an estimate off of the film, he could put up 35 bench reps. He throws people away, remember the Jenkins ***** slap of Meyers? Yea, he was doing that to people when facing only one blocker. Ok, slight exaggeration, but he had his way against single blockers.
Old 04-04-2010   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Ok, I need some help here. Jackson has had two pro days at the institute where he has been training. However, I cannot find any information on what happened at both of those. I read somewhere that on the first day he weighed in at 306 pounds, which is perfect for the Texans line. Other than that, I can't find anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2010   #6
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I was able to find this from March 9:

Quote:
The Eagles and Giants were the first teams to send scouts to Kean last spring, when Jackson weighed-in at 349 pounds and clocked 5.65 seconds in the 40-yard dash. But since then, he has morphed.

He is now a lean 310 pounds. He has been timed as low as 5.18 in the 40. He has tripled his reps on the 225-pound bench press. The Division 1 perks he missed out on — regimented nutrition and supervised lifts — he’s taken advantage of this winter.
Quote:
It just takes one NFL team to agree — and the Jets, Eagles, Packers and Vikings have taken particular interest in Jackson. Morgan declined to speak to feedback from individual teams, but did estimate Jackson is on the radar of at least half the teams in the NFL, for both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes, and multiple teams have taken numerous visits to see him.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I was able to find this from March 9:

Thanks, but I posted that article at the top of the page. I am really interested in this player for some reason, he just popped off the screen when I watched Kean games.

He was 350 lbs, by my (and NFLDraftScout said 348) estimation, and is now down to 310. That is the desire to succeed, something I dont see out of other players. And he seems like a high quality guy, I would like the Texans give him a UDFA offer, and see what he can do.
Sponsored links
Old 04-04-2010   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Thanks, but I posted that article at the top of the page. I am really interested in this player for some reason, he just popped off the screen when I watched Kean games.

He was 350 lbs, by my (and NFLDraftScout said 348) estimation, and is now down to 310. That is the desire to succeed, something I dont see out of other players. And he seems like a high quality guy, I would like the Texans give him a UDFA offer, and see what he can do.
Unfortunately for him, this is a deep draft for DTs. If he came out in a shallow year he may go in the late 5th early 6th. As is, unless someone sees something they really love, I think he will be a UDFA.

And if he can become a rotational/ backup guy he would be a steal as an UDFA.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Unfortunately for him, this is a deep draft for DTs. If he came out in a shallow year he may go in the late 5th early 6th. As is, unless someone sees something they really love, I think he will be a UDFA.

And if he can become a rotational/ backup guy he would be a steal as an UDFA.
Throughout the entire thread, I have been saying he is a UDFA.

It is a very deep DT class, I highly doubt he gets drafted. But I would love to see the Texans sign him soon after the draft.
Old 04-04-2010   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It is a very deep DT class, I highly doubt he gets drafted. But I would love to see the Texans sign him soon after the draft.
I agree. I was just saying that if he came out in another year he would likely have been drafted based on his motor and desire. Too bad he came out in a heavy DT year.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Nice save, cause no one is hungrier than Cody. Cody is huge, but only did like 18 reps at his workout. That's pretty weak for a Nose Tackle.
Old 04-08-2010   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Everything I read on this guy, I would drop a 6th on him in a heartbeat. Maybe TJ will get us a good DT.
Old 04-08-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Everything I read on this guy, I would drop a 6th on him in a heartbeat. Maybe TJ will get us a good DT.
Like Awtysst said, in any other class this guy would be a 5th or 6th round pick. But this DT class is ridiculously talented. I think he could be had in UDFA, but would probably use the 7th rounder just to be sure.

The problem with just reading stuff is that you dont always know if you can trust the evaluator. I have seen some film on him, and I trust my self. He dominated the D3 competition, but we dont know how he would do against D2, FCS or FBS, let alone NFL competition.

By the way, I agree completely with you on Cody.
Old 04-08-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Nice save, cause no one is hungrier than Cody. Cody is huge, but only did like 18 reps at his workout. That's pretty weak for a Nose Tackle.
It does not take much to manhandle a triple cheese pizza with whipped cream. I really don't care how many UDFA are signed as long as they don't take reps from people I think will make team. Good info 65!
Old 04-08-2010   #15
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It does not take much to manhandle a triple cheese pizza with whipped cream. I really don't care how many UDFA are signed as long as they don't take reps from people I think will make team. Good info 65!
Haha, nicely done!

The Texans historically sign few UDFAs, and it kind of irks me. The top teams sign tons of players, and I think it is a reason why they are on top. They get to look at alot of players, find some hidden talent.
Old 04-08-2010   #16
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Haha, nicely done!

The Texans historically sign few UDFAs, and it kind of irks me. The top teams sign tons of players, and I think it is a reason why they are on top. They get to look at alot of players, find some hidden talent.
I would also like to see us give a chance to more UDFAs. It is pretty much risk free and there is a chance to find a contibutor.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I would also like to see us give a chance to more UDFAs. It is pretty much risk free and there is a chance to find a contibutor.
But you've got an overall roster limit of 80 players that you can't go over. You've got to make a decision on which cast offs might be able to give you something, too.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
They signed like 8-10 UDFA last year after the draft. The only one I know of that is still with the team is Arian Foster.
Old 04-08-2010   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

I just re-read the article, and two things stuck out to me:

1) He tripled his bench reps this off-season. Tripled. And he was already tossing people out of the way. I really want to see his bench reps now.

2) His agent is Okoye's agent. That could possibly give us the edge in UDFA.
Old 04-09-2010   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Run 4.60 in the 40 (at what weight???)
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=DT

visit with the Giants
http://www.giantsgab.com/2010/04/07/...-visit-giants/

Kean University : Kean NewsMar 12, 2010 ... Kean University's star senior nose tackle Darryl Jackson is on the radar of at least half the teams in the NFL and multiple teams have taken ...
www.kean.edu/keanews/2010/03/12.html -
(I can't find the actual piece from that site)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read