Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2010   #1
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will the Texans do ANYTHING in Free Agency (excluding Walter and Turk)?

Just wondering....Silly question...I know!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the Texans do ANYTHING in Free Agency (excluding Walters and Turk)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
Just wondering....Silly question...I know!

There's only a bazillion threads this could've been placed in.

To answer your question though....Houston will NEVER sign another FA again...in a 100 years. There I'll start off with the first pessimistic post.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #3
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the Texans do ANYTHING in Free Agency (excluding Walters and Turk)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post

its the off season after all!
redwhiteANDblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #4
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

To answer your question though....Houston will NEVER sign another FA again...in a 100 years. There I'll start off with the first pessimistic post.
I know there are...I wanted my own, not buried in another.

Thanks for your prompt response though
Old 03-09-2010   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, the Bears have now usurped the Redskins in the free agency spending battle. They need to come up with their own Bears' version of this shirt:

It's hard to outspend everyone into the Super Bowl because teams tend to keep their best, non-disgruntled, playing up to their paycheck, hard-working players.
Old 03-09-2010   #6
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yep, the Bears have now usurped the Redskins in the free agency spending battle. They need to come up with their own Bears' version of this shirt:

It's hard to outspend everyone into the Super Bowl because teams tend to keep their best, non-disgruntled, playing up to their paycheck, hard-working players.
Right on, TC.

Is there a case to be made in the NFL for spending your way to a championship? If so, where has it worked?

If someone could point out the team that has broken the bank during free agency and had a big payoff with the high-dollar roster, I'd like to see it.

Has such a thing happened yet?

I'm not an apologist for the Texans. There are dozens of things I wanted them to do differently from day one.

But it seems to me the proven method of building a winning franchise in the era of free agency is to fill holes with mid-level players and to make a big splash very sparingly.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Right on, TC.

Is there a case to be made in the NFL for spending your way to a championship? If so, where has it worked?

If someone could point out the team that has broken the bank during free agency and had a big payoff with the high-dollar roster, I'd like to see it.

Has such a thing happened yet?

I'm not an apologist for the Texans. There are dozens of things I wanted them to do differently from day one.

But it seems to me the proven method of building a winning franchise in the era of free agency is to fill holes with mid-level players and to make a big splash very sparingly.
Lets see... The New Orleans Saints...

I can think of at least 3 or 4 major acquisitions they've made either through trades or FAs that put them over the top...
Drew Brees
Mike Bell
Jeremy Shockey
Darren Sharper
Jabari Greer
etc
Old 03-09-2010   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

I can think of at least 3 or 4 major acquisitions they've made either through trades or FAs that put them over the top...
Drew Brees
Mike Bell
Jeremy Shockey
Darren Sharper
Jabari Greer
etc
Serious question: Were those high-dollar acquisitions? I recall that Drew Brees didn't attract a lot of attention.

Again, I could be wrong, but would you really classify any of those names as big-splash/high-dollar guys?
Old 03-09-2010   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Drew Brees
Mike Bell
Jeremy Shockey
Darren Sharper
Jabari Greer
etc
I think he was talking about high dollar free agents. NOLA just kicked ass in the front office/draft (well outside of the Jason David signing), but they didn't break the bank.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

championship teams are built through the draft AND free agency. You can't rely solely on one or the other, and if you are unbalenced on either side, you could have problems. Teams that spend horrific amounts of money in FA quite often don't pan out for the long run, teams that build a base in the draft and get free agents to fill the holes are much better off.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #11
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
I think he was talking about high dollar free agents. NOLA just kicked ass in the front office/draft (well outside of the Jason David signing), but they didn't break the bank.
Technically Shockey wasn't acquired in free agency. But, that was a ballsy move by the Saints. They gave up a second and a fifth for a guy who----let's all admit it----doesn't fit the profile of a Bob McNair player. That worked out.

Darren Sharper was 33 years old, and didn't break the bank. But that worked out.

Yes, the Saints have made moves that make the whole league sit up and pay attention. But they don't really qualify as the "break the bank" acquisitions.
Old 03-09-2010   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Teams that spend horrific amounts of money in FA quite often don't pan out for the long run, teams that build a base in the draft and get free agents to fill the holes are much better off.
Agreed.

And, I think the Texans are doing this.
Old 03-09-2010   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vikings didn't win a championship but got very close

Hutchinson
Favre
Taylor
Winfield
P.Williams
K.Williams
J.Allen

Jets same as above

FA
Faneca Woody, Douglas, Scott, Leonhard,Pace

Trades

Sanchez,Jones,Edwards,Greene,Sheppard

Teams that win make moves in FA/Trades. Teams that dont make moves make excuses.

How would you describe the Texans as an organization?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104666 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.

Really?

What moves?
Old 03-09-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 03-09-2010   #16
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Let me clarify, when I asked if the Texans would do anything via FA, I didn't mean just high dollar players....I'd like to see them bring in some quality players that can help this team.
Old 03-09-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
championship teams are built through the draft AND free agency. You can't rely solely on one or the other, and if you are unbalenced on either side, you could have problems. Teams that spend horrific amounts of money in FA quite often don't pan out for the long run, teams that build a base in the draft and get free agents to fill the holes are much better off.
Yep

This is how the good organizations do it.

The Texans not so much.
Old 03-09-2010   #18
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Vikings didn't win a championship but got very close

Hutchinson
Favre
Taylor
Winfield
P.Williams
K.Williams
J.Allen

Jets same as above

FA
Faneca Woody, Douglas, Scott, Leonhard,Pace

Trades

Sanchez,Jones,Edwards,Greene

Teams that win make moves in FA/Trades. Teams that dont make moves make excuses.

How would you describe the Texans as an organization?
Again, I'm not an apologist for the Texans. And there are things I would have done differently---no question. I'm on record saying the organization should have made a stronger attempt to acquire Cedric Benson. That one really pissed me off.

BUT.....under Smithiak they weren't afraid to give up two second round picks to acquire Schaub. That proved to be a pretty shrewd move.

The hole-filling acquisitions under Smithiak have been above average, to say the least.

The big splash acquisitions are non-existent.

Would I have loved to have seen them throw money at Julius Peppers? You bet.

But I have no argument with the mindset.
Old 03-09-2010   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

You can build a winner through the draft if you consistently excel at drafting quality players.

The Texans have been extremely hit or miss in the draft, seeming to get either pro bowlers or Travis Johnson's.

If you can't draft a position, you have to acquire quality there either through FA or trades.

We have yet to have success with our secondary or our interior defensive line.
Old 03-09-2010   #20
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38657 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

No?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read