Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2010   #1
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Team's Overall Status - Holes to be filled

Given that it looks like our FA pursuit over the weekend was not very successful, I thought I would look at the team position by position to get a sense of what the front office might do next. Iím operating under the assumption that the team will address positions it absolutely has to have another player for before the draft, so that there is not a pure need pick (this seems to be the way they've operated in the past).

I'm trying to look at who we have (just to get my head around it), and figure out if it's the type of position where we are absolutely needing someone before camp (which I think means we'll get someone there before the draft). That can be different from the places we could most improve.
  • QB: We have Schaub and Orlovsky, plus Booty. Schaub is clearly the starter, and we have gone with 2QB in the past. Not great depth, but not an immediate need.
  • RB/FB: We have Leach as our only FB. Foster and Moats, plus Slaton. Also have Chris Henry (forgot all about him) and Jeremiah Johnson. I think a lot of this one comes down to what the team thinks of Slatonís progress Ė if they expect him back, they wonít see this as a need, but if they are writing him off, this becomes a really weak position. I canít see them going into camp with just the current group (unless they have Henry rated much higher than I realize), and I donít think theyíll assume they can get what they want in the draft (see RB last year), so I think we will see some action on the RB front before the draft.
  • TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Hill. We donít need to add anyone here
  • WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Martinez, Anderson, Davis. Certainly not a need
  • OL: Brown, Winston, Brisiel, Caldwell, Meyers, Studdard, plus I guess White and Butler (I think we tendered them). We also evidently have Brett Helms and Adam Stenavich, but I know nothing about them. That set is way too thin Ė we will absolutely need at least one more OL, considering that I canít see them counting on Helms and Stenavich, and some others are coming off of injuries. I am a bit surprised at just how weak this group is. I would expect us to pick up someone before the draft, since I canít see us even going into the draft with this glaring of a need.
  • DE: Williams, Smith, Barwin, Nading, Bulman, along with Jamison and Pannel Egboh (who?). We have enough to go to camp, and I donít expect to see anyone new before the draft.
  • DT: Okoye, Okam, Cody, Robinson. Plus, Iím sure we can get Zgonina if needed. The team seems pretty thin here, but Iím not sure itís so bad that they will feel a need to address it before the draft.
  • LB: Ryans, Cushing, Diles, Adibi, Bentley, plus Bing and Verdell (and maybe some UFAs we could bring back without much effort). I am sure they want to solidify one more LB spot, but I think theyíll be content with what they have going into the draft.
  • CB: Reeves, Quin, McCain, Molden, Bennett, plus Parson. As much as this feels to me like an area of need, I donít think theyíll necessarily see the position the same way Ė I could see them even going into the season with that group, so Iím not sure that this is a case where they have a hole they have to fill before the draft.
  • S: Pollard, Wilson, Barber, and Troy Nolan. This is very thin Ė they will need some help here, since I donít see them going into camp without someone else. Iíd expect to see some low-end Safety signed before the draft.
  • K/P: We have Brown and Turk. Competition would be good, but itís not critical to get someone new immediately. I expect them to wait.

Looking over that list, the main areas I see the Texans bringing someone in, just to plug a hole, before the draft are:
- Offensive Line
- Running Back (depending on their evaluation of Slaton)
- Safety
OL is probably the only one of those where they really, really, need to get someone else, just to operate. That list is different from the areas where they most need to improve, where I think youíd have to put positions like DT and CB into the mix.
keyser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Team's Overall Status - Holes to be filled

Nice work! IMO, the Texans main needs are at CB, RB, OL, S, and DT. We need to build our interior offensive line by getting a guard and a center to protect Matt Schaub if we want to make it to the playoffs.

Our defense needs to continue to improve and we should look into drafting a S and CB in the first round to secure the positon with a bona fide starter. Next, we need to add another DT (I would like someone big who can take on blockers and allow our linebackers to do what they do best.)

Again, good post!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about this but would it be too much of a stretch to try and get Jake Delhomme as a back up QB. He's very familiar with the offense. I know he's had a bad year but he also had a bad line too from what I recall. I just don't feel right with Orlovsky.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was thinking about this but would it be too much of a stretch to try and get Jake Delhomme as a back up QB. He's very familiar with the offense. I know he's had a bad year but he also had a bad line too from what I recall. I just don't feel right with Orlovsky.
I don't think he would be a bad back up, as long as you dont guarentee him 20 million. Holy cow, that was the worst contract I've seen since Gary Walker's.
Old 03-09-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I don't think he would be a bad back up, as long as you dont guarentee him 20 million. Holy cow, that was the worst contract I've seen since Gary Walker's.
If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't being heavily persued then either. He was only the back up for New Orleans before he got to Carolina.

Seriously though, I'm not sure this is a dumb move to try and get Delhomme. If I'm Gary Kubiak, I'm thinking I could still be fired if I don't get in the playoffs or at worst finish better than .500. The last thing I need to do is go into a season with Orlovsky should something happen to (I'm not going to say his name so that I don't get blamed if it happens).

Furthermore, the acquisition of Delhomme could possibly serve as a mental note to our current QB - Playoffs This Year! This could keep our leader from being lacadasical.

I know it's kind of far fetched but if there were a QB out there to be the back up, Delhomme would be a good one.
Old 03-09-2010   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If I'm not mistaken, he wasn't being heavily persued then either. He was only the back up for New Orleans before he got to Carolina.

Seriously though, I'm not sure this is a dumb move to try and get Delhomme. If I'm Gary Kubiak, I'm thinking I could still be fired if I don't get in the playoffs or at worst finish better than .500. The last thing I need to do is go into a season with Orlovsky should something happen to (I'm not going to say his name so that I don't get blamed if it happens).

Furthermore, the acquisition of Delhomme could possibly serve as a mental note to our current QB - Playoffs This Year! This could keep our leader from being lacadasical.

I know it's kind of far fetched but if there were a QB out there to be the back up, Delhomme would be a good one.
Depends on where you are with Dan O. If he has been progressing, then I'm not sure you want Delhome. If he is kinda hit a cieling, then why not. I like the flashes Dan shower last pre-season, so IDK.
Old 03-09-2010   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't hurt to bring in Delhomme as a backup if we can grab him for cheap otherwise I'll pass.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-09-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Wouldn't hurt to bring in Delhomme as a backup if we can grab him for cheap otherwise I'll pass.
With him scheduled to still get 12 million this year from his Carolina deal, I seriously doubt it will cost much to get him.
He knows the WCO so he could also serve as a good QB coach for Schaub also.
Old 03-14-2010   #9
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 9223 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

DelHOmme.. I would be verry weary of him. I was still scratching my head over his stupid contract when he got cut. Makes zero sense. At best, he's too inconsistent to consider as an upgrade. I would prefer to have backups with upside. Chances are, this position could be a concern in 2010. Won't suprise me to see QB taken. I was happy Schaub started every game in '09, but I'm not remotely close to dubbing him as an ironman yet. Combine his history with his age, and I have concerns that Delhomme doesn't fix.

Here's a thought. Tim Tebow? are we a season or two from a 1st rd QB pick? My crystal ball says we have more pressing needs... until I see Dan-O starting. As a two time heisman and a ncaa champ, the only reason I can see for his anticipated mid round slotting in Mocks' is his freakish size... ?

To me it would seem like a steal, but someone would prolly get run out of town though.

Needs in priority: O-Line, Safety, CB, CB, CB(if no CB's by day three, they need to pick 3, hopefull one makes the regular season roster). Kicker is another need, but I'm of the belief kickers are as disposable as 7-11 coffee cups.

I would hope a good safety could be found in FA, but that doesn't appear to be playing out.
Old 03-14-2010   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

NEEDS that must be addressed with starting caliber players. Obviously we will not fill all of these holes in the draft with starting caliber players, but it sure would be nice!!!:

Cornerback (Losing out on Bodden hurt us. We need to find a starting quality CB to compete with Reeves/Quinn for one of the two starting spots)

Interior OL (Depending on where they slot Smith.I'd like to see Smith as our starting RG, but if they like him more at C then we'll need to pick up a guard)

DT (We are painfully average at best here. So as to not look greedy, I would like someone who can either pressure the QB exceptionally well or tie up multiple OL in run defense so our LBs can roam free. We currently have nobody on the roster who has shown they can perform either of these tasks at a high level)

RB (Need to proceed as if Steve Slaton is not on the team, just like we should've done when DDW's issues came up and we did nothing to hedge our risk)

Luxury:

Free Safety (It would be great to grab Earl Thomas at 20. He's good enough to beat out Wilson at FS now, or we can put him at CB. Losing out on Bodden hurts us in the fact that it probably takes away the possibility of taking a FS that can beat out Wilson unless Thomas is on the board at 20. After Thomas and Berry, there's no other rookie that would beat out Wilson and we need to use our premium picks to find starting caliber players)

Backup QB (Not impressed with Orlovsky and if Schaub goes down we're in trouble. Need to develop somebody)

Placekicker (Hard to gauge this position. I'd love to find someone better than Brown, which wouldn't be hard judging by last season's performance but rookie kickers are tough to evaluate. Even tougher to pull the trigger on with a draft pick)

WR (It wouldn't hurt to bring in a speedy WR that could push Andre Davis and maybe take over for him at KR when his contract expires)

So there you have it. 4 holes that NEED to be filled if we are to contend this year, and 4 holes that would be a luxury for us to find a contributor at.
Old 03-14-2010   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one excited to see Booty here? Not saying he is a starter type, but as a backup, I think he can become a solid guy. Keep him and draft John Skelton to develop. Give Skelton a few years of working on his footwork and you might have something. At worst you have a rocket arm as your backup in 2112.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #12
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 1345 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Am I the only one excited to see Booty here? Not saying he is a starter type, but as a backup, I think he can become a solid guy. Keep him and draft John Skelton to develop. Give Skelton a few years of working on his footwork and you might have something. At worst you have a rocket arm as your backup in 2112.
By 2112 he'd probably be dead.
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22304 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
By 2112 he'd probably be dead.
Brett Favre will still be playing with some team in 2112. But of course, he will hold them hostage until August.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
What does Booty provide that DanO doesn't? DanO has the physical tools of an NFL QB, but lacked the mental aspect of the system. After a year in the system I expect him to solidify the #2 this season.

All that said, I'm not sure why I like DanO so much. I guess I just want to see him overcome what he did in Detroit. Always rootin for the underdog. Although, I'm more than willing to see competition at the position.
Old 03-15-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What does Booty provide that DanO doesn't? DanO has the physical tools of an NFL QB, but lacked the mental aspect of the system. After a year in the system I expect him to solidify the #2 this season.

All that said, I'm not sure why I like DanO so much. I guess I just want to see him overcome what he did in Detroit. Always rootin for the underdog. Although, I'm more than willing to see competition at the position.
Good points. Booty has been on team for two years I think and has not impressed me yet.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read