Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Place Kickers

Um....how come we haven't even talked to Niel Rackers? I mean place kicker is a position that needs to get better? I mean, bring some serious comp for that kicker that must have stock in Reliant.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #2
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Place Kickers

Jay Feely available too.

They'll bring in some no name guys, call it a competition, Brown will "win" the job, he'll be back.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I just wanted my sig included in this thread.
Old 03-08-2010   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing is, we're acting like that's not a concern for the team. I'm telling you, KB has stock in Reliant.
Old 03-08-2010   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Neil Rackers isn't any better. Neither is Jay Feely.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #6
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Neil Rackers isn't any better. Neither is Jay Feely.

Feely: 30-36 this past year. Good for 83%. 82% for his career

Rackers: 16-17 this past year. Good for 94%. 78% for his career

Brown: 21-32 this past year. "Good" for 66%. 77% for his career.
Old 03-08-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Feeley: 0% stock in Reliant
Rackers: 0% stock in Reliant
Kris Brown: Majority Owner
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2010   #8
J_R
Hall of Fame

Other FA kickers:

Billy Cundiff[split time w/ 2 teams in 09]: 6-6 in Cleveland. 100%. 12-17 in Baltimore. Good for 71%. 74% for his career.

Shayne Graham: 23-28 this past year. Good for 82%. 85% in his career. (Though has missed many post-season kicks or so it seems)

Shaun Suisham[split time w/ 2 teams in 09]: 18-21 in Washington. Good for 86%. 2-3 in Dallas. Good for 67%. 79% for his career.

Matt Stover: 9-11 this past year. Good for 82%. 84% in his career
Old 03-08-2010   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

In for the new kicker thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Feely: 30-36 this past year. Good for 83%. 82% for his career

Rackers: 16-17 this past year. Good for 94%. 78% for his career

Brown: 21-32 this past year. "Good" for 66%. 77% for his career.
77% vs 78% careerwise is not significantly different. Is 82% and 77% that different? I don't know.

I think we need a new kicker but also a different philosophy on offense. Just becuase we are in position for a 48 yd fg should not mean we run stop trying to improve the fg attempt. Cutting a 48 to a 42 could significantly improve our place kicking.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #11
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Kicker will be addressed either as the last pick in the draft, or bringing in undrafted free agent kickers. Don't think we'd sign a retred, they want $.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Would love to see you guys break out the soap for a Kicker. I expect them to bring in plenty of competition. It doesn't have to be a name guy. Just a guy who performs better than K. Brown.

But I'm on the record as saying I 100% expect him to be back this year and kick well. And if he doesn't then I think you'll see them replace him.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010   #13
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

The place kicker position must be improved. We need to bring in someone else because Kris Brown cannot be trusted. I hope the Texans are really seriously looking at an upgrade. We lost 2 games last year because of field goals and that can't happen next year.
Old 03-09-2010   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett
But I'm on the record as saying I 100% expect him to be back this year and kick well. And if he doesn't then I think you'll see them replace him.
This wouldn't surprise me in the least. It's a Texans tradition to keep poor performers like Chris Palmer, David Carr, Richard Smith, etc. a year too long and be surprised that they didn't magically get better during the off-season.

They need to quit dandling those who are arguably costing the team wins, speed their decision process, and exercise a 100% comittmemt to winning.
Old 03-09-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This team just confounds me sometimes. Kris Brown legitimately cost us multiple games this year.

When you are on the line in a "Playoffs or bust" mode, and your KICKER loses more than 1 game in the last few minutes, you have a problem.

There are tons of guys who can kick a football. You have to show accountability. I want KB gone yesterday. If I was one of the other players, I would be furuious. They fumble the ball once and they're benched, but KB misses at point blank in his only job and he gets another year. Wtf??
Old 03-09-2010   #16
TD
TT Huckaboo

Rep Power: 79918 TD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respectedTD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
There are tons of guys who can kick a football.
While true, unfortunately there aren't tons who can kick it accurately in a game situation.

I expect Brown to keep his job IF he has a good preseason, but I think even if he makes the team he will be on a VERY short leash.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219123 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
While true, unfortunately there aren't tons who can kick it accurately in a game situation.

I expect Brown to keep his job IF he has a good preseason, but I think even if he makes the team he will be on a VERY short leash.
.........like he was all last year.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TB used to be a kicker. Get your butt out there, TB!
Old 03-09-2010   #19
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

This seems like a pretty easy problem to solve.

1. Find a college kicker that made clutch kicks when he was in college.

2. Find a couple more.

3. Bring them in to camp.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
This seems like a pretty easy problem to solve.

1. Find a college kicker that made clutch kicks when he was in college.

2. Find a couple more.

3. Bring them in to camp.
That's what I'm saying. I guess we aren't looking at FA kickers because we don't want to spend alot of money on PKs. However, I would consider it because our offense hasn't necessarily shown to be nails inside the 20s and we had quite a few bad second halves where our offense/coaching would sputter once we got inside the 40. Be nice to come away with some points.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read