Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-07-2010   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Leigh Bodden to visit Houston-Re-Signs with Pats for 28.5 million /5 years 10 guar.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-with-texans/

Quote:
Bodden will meet with Texans
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 7, 2010 10:57 AM ET
The second-best cornerback on the free agent market is ready to take a visit.

After some back-and-forth on the issue, Leigh Bodden's first free agent visit will be with the Texans, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. It looked previously that Bodden's price tag may be too high for the Texans' taste.

Perhaps Bodden's financial demands are going down. After speaking with Bodden's agent Alvin Keels, the Texans decided to bring him in. The Patriots are pushing to bring Bodden back, while the Steelers and Seahawks have reportedly shown some interest.

ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes Bodden could command money in the $4-$5 million per season range.
Old 03-07-2010   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leigh Bodden to visit Houston

Quote:
ESPNBoston's Mike Reiss writes Bodden could command money in the $4-$5 million per season range.

If this is the case then I would love to sign him as long as he's not looking for a massive signing bonus like Dunta got.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If we poured almost $10 million into Dunta Robinson's shoes for only one season, surely we can afford Bodden at around $5 million-per-year.

That's getting him for two seasons for the same price as Dunta's 2009 season here.

IMO, this would take Cornerback off the draft chart for the first two rounds. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Smithiak to still grab a really tempting Cornerback, or Safety for that matter, if he happened to be sitting at our #20 spot overall (or in round 2).

But for the most part, it gives us breathing room if we lock up what has been touted as one of the better Cornerbacks on the market. We dumped Dunta, and we pop in a guy like Bodden.

This makes the defense almost set, unless we're looking to upgrade even more at DB or DL.

But why would we? Seems like we need to beef up the OL--I'd like a big nasty at Center, personally--or maybe shoot for the moon and take a RB? I can't see us taking a first round RB, though.

My bet for round 1 and 2 is this: OL, interior DL (in no particular order, btw). Unless someone slides to us that was expected to be gone very early.
Old 03-07-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

According to the NFLN, he's in the air right now...
Old 03-07-2010   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree, if we can get him for around ~5mil a pop it's an easy way to remove CB from the list of NEEDS.
Old 03-07-2010   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
If we poured almost $10 million into Dunta Robinson's shoes for only one season, surely we can afford Bodden at around $5 million-per-year.

That's getting him for two seasons for the same price as Dunta's 2009 season here.

IMO, this would take Cornerback off the draft chart for the first two rounds. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Smithiak to still grab a really tempting Cornerback, or Safety for that matter, if he happened to be sitting at our #20 spot overall (or in round 2).

But for the most part, it gives us breathing room if we lock up what has been touted as one of the better Cornerbacks on the market. We dumped Dunta, and we pop in a guy like Bodden.

This makes the defense almost set, unless we're looking to upgrade even more at DB or DL.

But why would we? Seems like we need to beef up the OL--I'd like a big nasty at Center, personally--or maybe shoot for the moon and take a RB? I can't see us taking a first round RB, though.

My bet for round 1 and 2 is this: OL, interior DL (in no particular order, btw). Unless someone slides to us that was expected to be gone very early.
Personally I would like to see us sign Bodden. It will be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as signing Dunta. Then we need to open up the bank account and sign O.J. Atogwe (FS, Rams). He was a RFA, but they gave him a pretty weak tender. If we can offer him a contract that they don't match then we can get him without giving up picks.

That means we can avoid taking a CB or FS in the 1st (although I do love Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas) and then we can draft Ryan Mathews (RB, Fresno State) in the 1st and Mike Johnson (G, Alabama) in the 2nd.

This is exactly what I would do, but hey I'm not the GM.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-07-2010   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Personally I would like to see us sign Bodden. It will be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as signing Dunta. Then we need to open up the bank account and sign O.J. Atogwe (FS, Rams). He was a RFA, but they gave him a pretty weak tender. If we can offer him a contract that they don't match then we can get him without giving up picks.

That means we can avoid taking a CB or FS in the 1st (although I do love Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas) and then we can draft Ryan Mathews (RB, Fresno State) in the 1st and Mike Johnson (G, Alabama) in the 2nd.

Not bad, WolverineFan. Rep your way!

Not bad at all.
Old 03-07-2010   #8
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I love this.
Old 03-07-2010   #9
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yup. I agree with going after Bodden and Atogwe. If we can also land OG Smith then we can enter the draft going after the BPA. We can literally draft the very best player on our draft board and not have to worry about reaching.

Also, it allows us to trade down and possibly out of the first round in order to stockpile picks. This is a deep draft so the more shells RS has to shoot, the better off we will be!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #10
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If we land Otogwe and Bodden, theres no way we wont be in the playoffs next year. Otogwe is the most underrated free safety in the game.

Whats the tender on him as far as draft picks go?
Old 03-07-2010   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

I am worried about the Steelers, who have been reportedly interested in him.

He could stay on the East Coast, close to the region where he has made contacts, and he could be playing for a team who knows how to stay truly competitive on an annual basis.

This needs to be one of those situations where he doesn't leave Houston without a contract.
Old 03-07-2010   #12
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

According to Walterfootball, it is NO draft choices. Just first right of refusal. I guess this means that they have the right to match the offer.

"O.J. Atogwe (RFA), FS, Rams. Age: 29.
Tendered by Rams (right of first refusal)

O.J. Atogwe was one of the few bright spots for the Rams defense this year. When he was placed on IR, St. Louis' ability to defend the pass went into the crapper. "
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
If we land Otogwe and Bodden, theres no way we wont be in the playoffs next year. Otogwe is the most underrated free safety in the game.

He has no draft pick tender. The Rams tendered him with a right of first refusal, but no pick compensation. They franchised him last year and are trying to work out a long-term deal with him. I think they gave him a weak tender hoping that some team would come by and give him a deal and then they could match it and keep him without having to give him an Antrel Rolle-like deal.

However, if we roll along and give him a similar deal to that of Rolle then I doubt they will match it. They are a rebuilding team and I doubt they would invest $7 mil a year in a Safety.

I don't much like the idea of giving Atogwe a deal like that, but we need a FS and it would make our team much better if we could sign him and then use our draft picks on other areas of need.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-07-2010   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200878 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post

I thought Atogwe was tendered at a 1st and a 3rd.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryID=3491

EDIT: Nope. Just right of first refusal:

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/78267/
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #15
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like it is time to break out the Poison Pill.

If Atogwe plays more than 4 games in St. Louis, he gets a $1 Billion dollar bonus.
Old 03-07-2010   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
Sounds like it is time to break out the Poison Pill.

If Otagwe plays more than 4 games in St. Louis, he gets a $1 Billion dollar bonus.
LA Rams to the rescue!
Old 03-07-2010   #17
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how it says "contrary to reports" in the article
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #18
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Every year they spend on ONE moderate to high priced guy. Last year it was A. Smith, year before it was Reeves. Year before it was A. Green. Looks like this year it may be Bodden.
Old 03-07-2010   #19
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I am worried about the Steelers, who have been reportedly interested in him.

He could stay on the East Coast, close to the region where he has made contacts, and he could be playing for a team who knows how to stay truly competitive on an annual basis.

This needs to be one of those situations where he doesn't leave Houston without a contract.
Agree with this. We need to treat him like we did Antonio Smith: First visit, hard sell, sign before leaving, cancel all other visits.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been a fan of Bodden for years. I hope this happens.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read