Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2010   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade Smith G to visit this weekend

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6898618.html

Quote:
The Texans have lined up a weekend visit with Kansas City guard Wade Smith.

Smith, 6-4, 296, is an eight-year veteran who grew up in Dallas and played college ball at Memphis.
Old 03-05-2010   #2
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Smith G to visit this weekend

Good, we need O-Lineman and Smith is quality. He's not a stud, but he'd be an upgrade over Studdard or Myers.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/players/smithwade...e?id=SMI782502

profile from NFL.com
Old 03-05-2010   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

He is visiting with the Bills today. Hopefully he gets out of there without a contract. He has a few ties to the Bills. Check it out.

Buffalo’s coaching staff is very familiar with Smith’s abilities as Bills offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris coached him the past two seasons with the Chiefs, while Gailey was his offensive coordinator in 2008.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...8-95568965e382
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's depth and camp competition. Studdard and Brisiel/Caldwell are still tentatively starters I'd say (very tentatively).
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think he's depth and camp competition. Studdard and Brisiel/Caldwell are still tentatively starters I'd say (very tentatively).
I think he would be a favorite to start imo. Either way, we sorely need depth at this position after last year and with Pitts basically gone.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Apparently, he can play almost anywhere along the line, and the local guy in the link thought he was the most valuable Olmen for the Chiefs last year.
Old 03-05-2010   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like a quality player.
Old 03-05-2010   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 25169 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I know some aren't too high on pro football focus rankings and they are definitely debatable... but according to them he would be better than anything we had last year at Guard and his strength would be in the running game.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...=25&numgames=1
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just not feeling it. He hasn't started 16 games since 2003 and he's supposed to be better than anything we had last year at guard? Sounds to me like he was more or less exactly what we had last year at guard, just older. Just what the Texans needed, a guy who's spent most of 8 years in the league sitting on the bench behind other, better players.

Reminds me of the last time we went to KC and picked up some OL depth. Jordan Black part-deux.

Now there was a real difference maker eh?
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't KC's OL suck balls last year? Not exciting news.
Old 03-05-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Didn't KC's OL suck balls last year? Not exciting news.
27th in the league...........let me contain my excitement.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

A reasonably solid player. Not a standout by ANY stretch of the imagination, but probably would add good depth.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #14
ArlingtonTexan

He is largely what you are going to get this year in free agency. Pretty much everybody is some combination of old, injured and/or mediocore. Smith is probably a better version of Chris White.

Here is one list. the guys in red are either RFA or have signed somewhere else. Literally, outside of our Chester Pitts, this guy is the "best" left that fits what the Texans do.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010G.php
Old 03-05-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
He is largely what you are going to get this year in free agency. Pretty much everybody is some combination of old, injured and/or mediocore. Smith is probably a better version of Chris White.

Here is one list. the guys in red are either RFA or have signed somewhere else. Literally, outside of our Chester Pitts, this guy is the "best" left that fits what the Texans do.
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010G.php
Chester must not have fit what they wanted to do because they made no attempt whatsoever to re-sign him? Also for all those Iupati fans another smaller undersized zbs OG. I've learned my lesson each year getting excited about OL prospects only to succumb to other teams leftovers. not a happy camper
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Chester must not have fit what they wanted to do because they made no attempt whatsoever to re-sign him? Also for all those Iupati fans another smaller undersized zbs OG. I've learned my lesson each year getting excited about OL prospects only to succumb to other teams leftovers. not a happy camper
I hear you beerlover. A 289 pound OG from one of the worst lines in football doesnt do it for me either.
Old 03-05-2010   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

More I read about him the more I think he's the OL version of Antonio Smith. Just a solid versatile lineman who can acquit himself well in the trenches. I would prefer us to pick up Stephen Neal just because I think with his former NCAA champion wrestling pedigree and being a starting caliber OL with the Patriots he would provide us a guy who could actually get us some push in the pocket but I wouldn't be at all upset with Smith if he can supplant one of the current starters.

I'd really like to see Caldwell step up and be the player we need him to be. I don't call bust on rookies but considering who was starting ahead of him last year i'm awfully tempted to say he underperformed for his all SEC 4 year starter at Alabama pedigree.
Old 03-05-2010   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
FWIW, I have seen him listed anywehre from 296 to 315, so I have no real idea what his actually playing weight is. The thing with interior OLmen is that a team had to either develop or get lucky on a mid-late round guys or even high UDFA for those spots. I saw that stats earlier this week, it is was something like over the last 8 drafts only like 12-15 interior Olmen have been 1st round guys. Basically, whatever you style is a team needs to figure out how to propely evaluate Guards and Centers.
Old 03-05-2010   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
More I read about him the more I think he's the OL version of Antonio Smith. Just a solid versatile lineman who can acquit himself well in the trenches. I would prefer us to pick up Stephen Neal just because I think with his former NCAA champion wrestling pedigree and being a starting caliber OL with the Patriots he would provide us a guy who could actually get us some push in the pocket but I wouldn't be at all upset with Smith if he can supplant one of the current starters.

I'd really like to see Caldwell step up and be the player we need him to be. I don't call bust on rookies but considering who was starting ahead of him last year i'm awfully tempted to say he underperformed for his all SEC 4 year starter at Alabama pedigree.
Neal's not gonna happen:

Quote:
The Patriots continued to show Randy Moss they really do pay Friday, signing guard Stephen Neal. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston.com writes that it's a two-year contract.
LINK
Old 03-05-2010   #20
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans have seemed to make it a plan to sign FAs to any positions that are hardcore "need' positions before the draft, freeing them to take more of a BPA approach. With Pitts leaving, they really need someone else on the OL, even if just for depth/backup. Smith ought to be able to fill that role - not a huge improvement, but enough that the team doesn't absolutely have to pick up an OL in the draft.

By the same logic, I would really expect them to pick up a RB (assuming Slaton is not ready - if they really think he is, they might not) before the draft - again, even if it's not as a starter.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read