Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-01-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Players at 20 Mock - FanHouse

I am currently working on the FanHouse 2.0 Mock. Here's the FanHouse 1.0 Mock.

I got some grief over the Mays pick. My thinking was the Texans don't care too much between free and strong safety, and have specifically wanted to increase their physical play (I got grief over my Cushing pick in the mocks last year too).

You've seen/done enough mocks here to know who is likely going to be available at 20. (We can't do trade ups or downs). And I'd like to pick someone that Texan fans really want at that spot. We are early in our mock so I don't know who is going to be left on the board.

I thought it would be fun to collect in one place those players who YOU think will be available at 20, and listing in order of preference who you would like with that pick.

Maybe list 5-7 guys in order of preference that you would like with the 20th pick?

I think that would be an interesting exercise, and I thank those in advance who participate.
Old 03-01-2010   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players at 20 Mock - FanHouse

OK Chickie , I'll play .

1. Earl Thomas fs
2. Kyle Wilson cb
3. Dan Williams dt
4. Ryan Mathews rb
5. Mike Iupati
6. Brian Price dt
7. Golden Tate

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm one (however unqualified I may be) that questions Taylor Mays' ability to be the FS we (I) want on the Texans. I understand your comments hinting towards the "interchangeable" safety idea it seems we've had in the past. I love Pollard as our SS and think Eugene Wilson is a more than serviceable FS (given he is healthy). With that said, I'd be extatic if Earl Thomas is available, given the assumption he's a ball hawking FS.

I love Mays' athleticism, but I think he lacks the "football intelligence" that makes Cushing so special. I take the true Football Player over the Athlete any day of the week. However, I WOULD entertain the idea of Taylor Mays IF and ONLY IF, we have shut down corners on this team. Meaning, we've got CB's that can blanket the receivers, leaving Pollard and Mays to roam free and wreak havoc.

Kyle Wilson CB Boise St. has turned into one of my favs for our selection and would be my pick based on Mock 1.0. Could be the lockdown corner we've been wanting and fills a huge need area.

Others in no particular order (only those available in mock 1.0):
2.Dan Williams DT Tennessee - More of a NT run stuffer but may not be the best fit for us- seems we want penetrating pass rushing DT's (Brian Price is gone).
3. Ryan Matthews RB Fresno St. - Locked himself up as the #2 RB, some convinced we will never take a RB in 1st. I disagree, but only if he's special and the other talent isn't there. I'd be tempted with Matthews here and would take him over Mays. Matthews, Foster and a healthy Slaton looks downright scary if you ask me.
4. Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri - wildcard pick here. Not that I really want it but I'm very impressed w/ him everytime I see him play. There's more ways I'd rather go but wanted to mention him b/c I think he's going to be great.
5. Bruce Campbell OT Maryland - Highly rated OT, would he fit our system? Push inside or push Brown inside? Jusk throwing it out there as the annual OL guy (since Iupati is taken)
6. Brandon Graham DE Michigan - Don't really want another DE but I think this guy is good.
7. Golden Tate WR Notre Dame - If we lose Walter, the trio of Andre, Jacoby and Tate could be dangerous. (or Arrelious Benn - Illinois)
8. Jared Odrick DT Penn St. - Probably fits what we're looking for in a DT. Pass rusher with good motor. Has his stocked jumped enough to be #20 or will he be rated close enough to the other players available to warrant this pick?

Those are some of the guys that are available in the first mock that I think would either be BPA or that interest me. Some aren'te need areas of us (OT,DE, LB) but felt their names should at least be mentioned. Kyle Wilson is the guy for me though.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #4
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

im shocked no 1 looks at centers
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I got some grief over the Mays pick. My thinking was the Texans don't care too much between free and strong safety, and have specifically wanted to increase their physical play (I got grief over my Cushing pick in the mocks last year too).

You've seen/done enough mocks here to know who is likely going to be available at 20. (We can't do trade ups or downs). And I'd like to pick someone that Texan fans really want at that spot. We are early in our mock so I don't know who is going to be left on the board.

I thought it would be fun to collect in one place those players who YOU think will be available at 20, and listing in order of preference who you would like with that pick.

Maybe list 5-7 guys in order of preference that you would like with the 20th pick?

I think that would be an interesting exercise, and I thank those in advance who participate.
Kubiak has stated multiple times that they expect the same thing from both safties .... that there isnt a difference between the positions.

While I dont like the pick personally - I think May's might be the type of athlete they would consider at that spot.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I, for one, want a ballhawking FS that can make plays on the ball and in coverage. Mays cannot do that. I have no idea why scouts are pushing this idea of him being a FS in the NFL. I am 99% sure this idea is pushed because he is capable of running a 4.3 forty-yard dash. If he can be coached up to do this then I would love to have an athlete like that on the team, but he has no instincts for the FS position so I seriously doubt he can make that transition.

If we needed a SS though then he would be my 1st choice. He fits the SS mold almost perfectly, except he is not a strong wrap-up tackler. He loves to deliver big hits and needs to be coached up on wrapping up. Other than that he is a great fit for a down in the box SS.

Anyway, my top 7 list (if we cannot trade back) would be

1. FS Earl Thomas, Texas
- Fast, athletic ballhawking safety. He also showed up bigger than expected at the combine. Great fit opposite Pollard.

2. RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
- Best RB in the draft as far as I'm concerned. His measureables at the combine were excellent, but I was a fan of his way before that.

3. DT Brian Price, UCLA
- Perfect fit at DT in our system.

4. CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
- Possibly the top CB in the draft outside of Joe Haden.

5. DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
- Not as good a fit in our defense as Price, but he is the best DT available after Price and dominated at the Senior Bowl last month.

6. CB Donovan Warren, Michigan
- Another option for us at CB. Warren, Haden, & Wilson are the only guys I think can step in for us and contribute immediately in place of Dunta Robinson.

7. OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
- This is a bit of a pipe dream of mine. OLB is not that big a need for us, but Weatherspoon is a perfect fit as a 4-3 WLB and a unit comprised of Weatherspoon, DeMeco, & Cushing would give us the best LB corps in the league in 2 years.

My top prospect for us is Joe Haden (CB from Florida), but there is no way he falls to us at #20.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I, for one, want a ballhawking FS that can make plays on the ball and in coverage. Mays cannot do that. I have no idea why scouts are pushing this idea of him being a FS in the NFL. I am 99% sure this idea is pushed because he is capable of running a 4.3 forty-yard dash. If he can be coached up to do this then I would love to have an athlete like that on the team, but he has no instincts for the FS position so I seriously doubt he can make that transition.

If we needed a SS though then he would be my 1st choice. He fits the SS mold almost perfectly, except he is not a strong wrap-up tackler. He loves to deliver big hits and needs to be coached up on wrapping up. Other than that he is a great fit for a down in the box SS.

Anyway, my top 7 list (if we cannot trade back) would be

1. FS Earl Thomas, Texas
- Fast, athletic ballhawking safety. He also showed up bigger than expected at the combine. Great fit opposite Pollard.

2. RB Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
- Best RB in the draft as far as I'm concerned. His measureables at the combine were excellent, but I was a fan of his way before that.

3. DT Brian Price, UCLA
- Perfect fit at DT in our system.

4. CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State
- Possibly the top CB in the draft outside of Joe Haden.

5. DT Dan Williams, Tennessee
- Not as good a fit in our defense as Price, but he is the best DT available after Price and dominated at the Senior Bowl last month.

6. CB Donovan Warren, Michigan
- Another option for us at CB. Warren, Haden, & Wilson are the only guys I think can step in for us and contribute immediately in place of Dunta Robinson.

7. OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
- This is a bit of a pipe dream of mine. OLB is not that big a need for us, but Weatherspoon is a perfect fit as a 4-3 WLB and a unit comprised of Weatherspoon, DeMeco, & Cushing would give us the best LB corps in the league in 2 years.

My top prospect for us is Joe Haden (CB from Florida), but there is no way he falls to us at #20.
like your list but can you expound on Donovan Warren & why you feel he is worth the 20th pick? I have a hard time giving him 2nd rd. grade.

Also think the only way Texans look @ Weatherspoon is something goes wrong w/DeMeco. While he can play all three LB positions, very well his strength is leadership from the MIKE. I would also compare him to Patrick Willis.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2010   #8
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

My thing with Warren is he is getting killed by some scouts and I have no real reason why. He has ideal size (6'0, 185 lbs.), great speed, and he was a 3 year starter at Michigan and started as a true freshman. The last 2 guys to start as true freshmen at Michigan were Marlin Jackson and Leon Hall and before them was Charles Woodson. That's good company.

He was a freshman all-american (as a freshman obviously), 2nd team all-big ten as a sophomore, and 1st team all-big ten as a junior. He would have gotten much more exposure if Michigan had not had terrible defenses the last 2 years and I think that's the reason why some scouts are so down on him (which is ridiculous because you can only do so much from one CB spot). He was not a part of the problem. They had 2 walk-ons starting on defense and multiple other problems, but Brandon Graham and Warren were legit regardless of the other defensive issues and how bad the defense was.

I have him graded higher than a lot of people but that's also because I don't put much stock in what the "experts" say (not saying you don't either). I do all my own scouting, grading, and rankings and I like what I see with him.

Also, I do think #20 is a reach for him but CB is a big need for us and the list was comprised based on no trades.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-01-2010   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the replies. Thomas was gone in my previous mock (and I think will be gone in this one).

I likely will be picking tonight or tomorrow, so keep your lists going......

So what you guys are saying is no one likes Mays at 20?
Old 03-01-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

purely bpa so you can go right down list

1. C.J. Spiller
2. Earl Thomas
3. Kyle Wilson
4. Ryan Mathews
5. Mike Iupati
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #11
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

RB Mathews after the combine 218lbs. under 4.5 forty, zbs runner HE'S IT
CB is 2nd on the list but they'll get a starter in 2nd round.

Mathews hands down!!!!! He's the Cushing of this years draft.
nytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Jonathan Dwyer
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Mike Iupati
4. Kyle Wilson
5. Earl Thomas
6. Brian Price
7. Maurkice Pouncey
8. Devin McCourty
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #13
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
1. Jonathan Dwyer
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Mike Iupati
4. Kyle Wilson
5. Earl Thomas
6. Brian Price
7. Maurkice Pouncey
8. Devin McCourty
Dwyer??

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-01-2010   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Dwyer??
48 hours ago that wouldn't have shocked anyone. I watched the guy play football for 3 years, a 40 yard dash (that he didn't even necessarily bomb) isn't going to change my mind about him.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

My picks in order at#20:

1. Dan Williams, most likely gone by #20 but it's possible.
2. Kyle Wilson, Dunta's replacement
3. C.J. Spiller
4. Earl Thomas
5. Maurkice Pouncey
6. Mike Iupati
7. Jonathan Dwyer
8. Sean Weatherspoon
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #16
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
48 hours ago that wouldn't have shocked anyone. I watched the guy play football for 3 years, a 40 yard dash (that he didn't even necessarily bomb) isn't going to change my mind about him.
I haven't been high on Dwyer at all, much less after the combine. I've had him rated as a 2nd round prospect for a while now.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 03-02-2010   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
purely bpa so you can go right down list

1. C.J. Spiller
2. Earl Thomas
3. Kyle Wilson
4. Ryan Mathews
5. Mike Iupati
A number of those guys were gone by #20 on this mock.
Old 03-02-2010   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Kubiak has stated multiple times that they expect the same thing from both safties .... that there isnt a difference between the positions.

While I dont like the pick personally - I think May's might be the type of athlete they would consider at that spot.
I only recall him saying that back when Smith was the DC. I could be wrong but Bush's defense seems to be more SS/FS than halvsies.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #19
GermanTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 23 GermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of Famer

1. Kyle Wilson
2. Earl Thomas
3. Dan Williams
4. Ryan Matthews
5. Maurice Pouncey
6. Mike Iupati
7. Patrick Robinson
Old 03-02-2010   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

!.D.Williams
2. Iupati
3.Wilson
4.Thomas
5.Mathews
6.Odrick
7. Mays

BPA draft IMO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read