Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-04-2010   #1
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cromartie traded to NYJ

Quote:
Filed to ESPN: Chargers traded cornerback Antonio Cromartie to Jets for a 2011 third-round pick that could turn to a second.

Chargers get a 2011 third-round pick that turns to a second-round pick based on Antonio Cromartie's play time and the Jets performance.
http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-to-the-jets/

Quote:
The New York Jets' "extreme interest" in Antonio Cromartie should be consummated soon.

Fox's Jay Glazer reports that New York is on the verge of a trade that would send a second or third-round pick in 2011 to the Chargers for the troubled Chargers wideout.

(And in the time it took to write this, ESPN's Adam Schefter says it's a done deal. A 2011 third-round pick could turn into a second-round pick.)
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Cromartie traded to NYJ

That's all it took? I think we'll see him get plenty of INTs next season as teams throw away from Revis. I don't think he's a shutdown CB in the Revis/Assomougha/Bailey mold but he's proven to be opportunistic (past 2 years aside).
Old 03-04-2010   #3
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2075 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah the Chargers werent asking for very much. They were about the ship him to Detroit for a 4th or 5th round pick this year except they also wanted RB Maurice Morris. Detroit balked.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good move by the Jets. Nobody is gonna throw at Revis so you might as well get a guy on the other side who can makes plays on the ball.

Revis doesn't need help so give Cromartie a safety over the top and go to work.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #5
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great move by the Jets.
Old 03-04-2010   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So we didn't need a CB bad enough to come off a 3rd rounder in 2011??? It's not like the Texans are tearing it up with their 3rd rounders.
Old 03-04-2010   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
So we didn't need a CB bad enough to come off a 3rd rounder in 2011??? It's not like the Texans are tearing it up with their 3rd rounders.
Cromartie needs Revis more than Revis needs Cromartie. I don't know if Cromartie would have been a better fit because we still need that shutdown corner that allows Cromartie to shine. This just might be an outstanding move by the Jets. I would have liked to have Cromartie on the Texans too though.
Old 03-04-2010   #8
Ckw

I am getting more and more unimpressed by the hour with this FO.

Teams like the Bears sign their big FAs (Tommie Harris) to extensions and are going hardcore after two of the top FAs in the NFL (Peppers and Rolle). The Jets trade nothing and get a pretty dang good corner out of the deal. And what do we do? We alienate one of the best players on our team (Demeco Ryans) by not offering him the contract he deserves.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm tired of watching other teams lock up their big time free agents and pursue other big time free agents while we sit back and do nothing.
Old 03-04-2010   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126364 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post

Teams like the Bears sign their big FAs (Tommie Harris) to extensions and are going hardcore after two of the top FAs in the NFL (Peppers and Rolle). The Jets trade nothing and get a pretty dang good corner out of the deal. And what do we do? We alienate one of the best players on our team (Demeco Ryans) by not offering him the contract he deserves.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm tired of watching other teams lock up their big time free agents and pursue other big time free agents while we sit back and do nothing.
Cromartie is a great #2 CB, but he isn't a lockdown guy. No doubt he is a playmaker but he takes too many risks. We need a #1 before we get a guy like him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah that Bear's FO sure knows how to manage their team. I mean the Bears are so good they don't even need their 1st or 2nd round draft picks they can just improve on their winning season strictly through free agency.

You may not care for Rick Smith and Co but puuting the Bears as the stanard they should strive for is laughable.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #11
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Cromartie is a great #2 CB, but he isn't a lockdown guy. No doubt he is a playmaker but he takes too many risks. We need a #1 before we get a guy like him.
Beggers can't be choosers. He'd walk in and day 1 be the best CB we have had on this roster since Aaron Glenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Yeah that Bear's FO sure knows how to manage their team. I mean the Bears are so good they don't even need their 1st or 2nd round draft picks they can just improve on their winning season strictly through free agency.

You may not care for Rick Smith and Co but puuting the Bears as the stanard they should strive for is laughable.
I'm such a moron for comparing us to a team that went to the Super Bowl 3 years ago without a QB....

I don't have a problem with Rick Smith at all. At least not personally. I stood up for the organization when they handled Dunta the way that they did, and I would still defend them to this day. They made the right decision. But the way they are handling Demeco is nothing short of bleeping retarded. You don't dick around your star defensive player as long as he wants to play for you. Hopefully I will be wrong, but it seems to me Rick Smith likes to be the hard ass in these negotiations a little too much and there is a decent chance this will drive away the stud players like Demeco.

On top of that, there are some decent players out there that could really help out our secondary (Sharper, Rolle, Marshall, Cromartie (not anymore apparently), and a few others) and yet this organization is doing what I have watched them do ever year of their existence: sit on their hands and wait to search the bargain bin. When you have a chance to get a guy like Cromartie for essentially nothing, especially when we have been as bad in the secondary as we have been, you do it.

I guess what is finally getting to me is it seems while the rest of the NFL is racing around making moves and shaking things up, this organization moves at a freakin snails pace and then we the fans wonder why we have never made it to the playoffs.
Old 03-05-2010   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beggers can't be choosers. He'd walk in and day 1 be the best CB we have had on this roster since Aaron Glenn.

I'm such a moron for comparing us to a team that went to the Super Bowl 3 years ago without a QB....

I don't have a problem with Rick Smith at all. At least not personally. I stood up for the organization when they handled Dunta the way that they did, and I would still defend them to this day. They made the right decision. But the way they are handling Demeco is nothing short of bleeping retarded. You don't dick around your star defensive player as long as he wants to play for you. Hopefully I will be wrong, but it seems to me Rick Smith likes to be the hard ass in these negotiations a little too much and there is a decent chance this will drive away the stud players like Demeco.

On top of that, there are some decent players out there that could really help out our secondary (Sharper, Rolle, Marshall, Cromartie (not anymore apparently), and a few others) and yet this organization is doing what I have watched them do ever year of their existence: sit on their hands and wait to search the bargain bin. When you have a chance to get a guy like Cromartie for essentially nothing, especially when we have been as bad in the secondary as we have been, you do it.

I guess what is finally getting to me is it seems while the rest of the NFL is racing around making moves and shaking things up, this organization moves at a freakin snails pace and then we the fans wonder why we have never made it to the playoffs.
Yep

The more things change the more they stay the same. The Texans org. is not going to sign players like Peppers, Rolle.or Marshall. (to much $)

They sit around on their hands and search the bargain bin for the Reeves,Bulman, and Blacks of the world late in FA. Like you stated in yuor post.

No wonder this team has never made the playoffs. They continue to do the same things every offseason and then act disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs. Do something different trade for Shaun Rodgers and sign Chester Taylor in FA and do it now.

Other teams are making moves and resigning their own. What are the Texans doing? Making no moves in FA and not re-signing their own. (DR,OD,CP)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes.

I think you're over-reacting.

I think you probably got your hopes up with all the hype going into free agency and now it looks like we're not doing anything. But this isn't like the draft where you see the picks going by and you see some of the trades and things. Free agency always goes like this. Everyone wants there to be a lot of things happening right at 11PM and wants our team to be grabbing all of these big names but that's not how it goes and that's not how it SHOULD go.

We go after guys, we bring guys in, we make moves, just like any other team.

Chicago is in an unusual situation this year because they've got to improve their team without a 1st or a 2nd and a lot of people are picking them to finish in the cellar next year. They made that trade for Gaines Adams and then the kid dies on them. Cutler ends up being the second coming of Sexy Rexy.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #14
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes.

I think you probably got your hopes up with all the hype going into free agency and now it looks like we're not doing anything. But this isn't like the draft where you see the picks going by and you see some of the trades and things. Free agency always goes like this. Everyone wants there to be a lot of things happening right at 11PM and wants our team to be grabbing all of these big names but that's not how it goes and that's not how it SHOULD go.

Chicago is in an unusual situation this year because they've got to improve their team without a 1st or a 2nd and a lot of people are picking them to finish in the cellar next year. They made that trade for Gaines Adams and then the kid dies on them. Cutler ends up being the second coming of Sexy Rexy.
+1 rep
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #15
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't freak out about cromartie. I lived in SD that last 3 years and he has gotten worse every year. He will get exposed playing with Revis as teams will attack him relentlessly. We can do better in the draft. Also, AC has had alot of off the field issuses, he's very immature. I think he'll end up being the definition of a one year wonder. The one area he could help the jets is in the return game.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I never said you were a moron, just that the Bears front office is not the standard the Texans should be aiming for. Since the Bears Super Bowl apperacne they have a worse record then the Texans. If you had compared them to the Colts or the Patriots of the Steelers I would have agreed with you, but those teams do not tend to make the flashy move at 12:01 when free agency begins.

I look at the teams who spend big money early in free agency and I'm glad the Texans aren't like that. Would you serisouly want this team to become like the Redskins?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

The jets are going to be absolutely scary next year adding this guy. Sure he's not been as good as his 11 int year & he's afraid of contact but he can still make plays on the ball. & with the pressure the jets put on qb's & the fact that Revis is on the other side, he likely won't be asked to cover for too long & he'll have plenty of opportunities to make those plays.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you have a chance to get a guy like Cromartie for essentially nothing, especially when we have been as bad in the secondary as we have been, you do it.
Essentially nothing? A 3rd round pick for sure which may become a 2nd is essentially nothing?

DeMeco Ryans, Steve Slaton, Eric Winston, etc. would beg to differ with your assessment.
Old 03-05-2010   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
The jets are going to be absolutely scary next year adding this guy. Sure he's not been as good as his 11 int year & he's afraid of contact but he can still make plays on the ball. & with the pressure the jets put on qb's & the fact that Revis is on the other side, he likely won't be asked to cover for too long & he'll have plenty of opportunities to make those plays.
It sure looks like it on paper, huh? We have to play them suns-a-guns again this year....in NY.
Old 03-05-2010   #20
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep

The more things change the more they stay the same. The Texans org. is not going to sign players like Peppers, Rolle.or Marshall. (to much $)

They sit around on their hands and search the bargain bin for the Reeves,Bulman, and Blacks of the world late in FA. Like you stated in yuor post.

No wonder this team has never made the playoffs. They continue to do the same things every offseason and then act disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs. Do something different trade for Shaun Rodgers and sign Chester Taylor in FA and do it now.

Other teams are making moves and resigning their own. What are the Texans doing? Making no moves in FA and not re-signing their own. (DR,OD,CP)
Somebody who gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yes.

We're all entitled to our opinions. I agree with most of what you are saying except for the fact that the Texans have never gone after the big name free agent. In fact, they don't even appear to pursue them or talk to them. I wasn't looking for them to make a big splash. In fact, their lack of movement hasn't surprised me at all. It doesn't make it any less frustrating.

The only "big name" free agent I can think of that we have pursued would be Antonio Smith and even at his best, he is maybe a tier 2 type player. I just don't get what it is going to take for Texans fans to finally meet their breaking point. When Kubiak got signed not only for next season but to a multi-year deal, I started to reach my breaking point. I'm not totally there yet but if this team doesn't sign Demeco to an extension and make the playoffs, I will likely have reached the peak of what I can take with this organization.

Quote:
Look, maybe it was a bad example, but at least they are trying to improve. The trade for Cutler was risky, and I think you are nuts if you have already totally written him off. He could still become a dang good QB in this league. The Adams situation was unfortunate. But at least they are doing something to try and improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Don't freak out about cromartie. I lived in SD that last 3 years and he has gotten worse every year. He will get exposed playing with Revis as teams will attack him relentlessly. We can do better in the draft. Also, AC has had alot of off the field issuses, he's very immature. I think he'll end up being the definition of a one year wonder. The one area he could help the jets is in the return game.
For me, it's not even so much about Cromartie; it is this constant talk of "we are almost there so we don't need to make any moves" that has seemed to go on for the last 3 years that has me frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I never said you were a moron, just that the Bears front office is not the standard the Texans should be aiming for. Since the Bears Super Bowl apperacne they have a worse record then the Texans. If you had compared them to the Colts or the Patriots of the Steelers I would have agreed with you, but those teams do not tend to make the flashy move at 12:01 when free agency begins.
I'm glad you mentioned them. The Colts have Peyton Manning. Before Peyton, they were terrible. After Peyton, they will likely be terrible. Anything that is said about Indianapolis is moot because you can answer the question with one word: Peyton.

The Steelers have Dick LeBeau, probably the best DC in the entire game. The guy has an experienced system, and he knows exactly the type of guys he needs for that system. I don't think the Texans can really fall back on "their system".

The Patriots have made some big free agent signings with the most notable being Adalius Thomas. I will admit he hasn't worked out as they had hoped, but they made a move to try and get better. Also like the Steelers, they have one of the best defensive minds in the game in Bill Belichick.

Quote:
I look at the teams who spend big money early in free agency and I'm glad the Texans aren't like that. Would you serisouly want this team to become like the Redskins?
I'm not talking about trying to make the big signing every year but one time in 8 seasons wouldn't be so bad now would it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Essentially nothing? A 3rd round pick for sure which may become a 2nd is essentially nothing?

DeMeco Ryans, Steve Slaton, Eric Winston, etc. would beg to differ with your assessment.
Other than Slaton, you are pointing to one good draft. I would gladly take Cromartie over guys like Molden, Jacoby, Charles Spencer, Morency, etc. Yes, a 3rd round pick would be basically nothing if you know what you are getting.

But look don't get me wrong as this isn't just about Cromartie. There are other guys out there like Richard Marshall that could really help this team and that would definitely be worth a 2nd round pick, but we all know the Texans will refuse to shake things up. They are content taking the slow and steady route hoping it will pay off. What worries me is that in taking the slow and steady route, they are going to miss the chance to do something when some of the best players we have ever had (AJ, Demeco, Mario, etc.) are in their primes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read