Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2010   #1
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 11151 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pollard, Ryans, Daniels mentioned in article re. disgruntled players

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=4964619

...."I'm not watching or listening to anything on that day and I don't care about who ends up where," said Houston Texans strong safety Bernard Pollard, who just finished his fourth season.

"All I can do is sign the tender I get offered. As for the guys who've been around long enough, they can go out and see what their value is."

Veterans like Pollard are upset for one major reason: They've played by the rules of the game since they came into the league and now the rules have changed. They've watched friends enter free agency in previous years and reap huge financial benefits....

...What people don't understand is that [restricted free agents] don't have any guarantees," Pollard said.

"We don't get any money up front in these deals and we'll be asked to do all the things we've done before. So if I tear up my ACL in the offseason, I have no security. And I also have to play another year to get back to this same position. Yes, we do love playing this game, but it's also hard work.".....

....Agents Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell have clients who understand what Pollard is feeling. ....

.....And if they're like Pollard, they're all probably wondering how this issue became as complicated as it now appears.

One thing they all have to agree on is that they're the first real collateral damage in the battle between the owners and players.

"I'm not a poker player, but if I was, I'd be folding by now," said Pollard, who will be commiserating with at least two other fellow restricted free-agent teammates -- linebacker DeMeco Ryans and tight end Owen Daniels.

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights." .....
Old 03-04-2010   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pollard, Ryans, Daniels mentioned in article re. disgruntled players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...fri&id=4964619

...."I'm not watching or listening to anything on that day and I don't care about who ends up where," said Houston Texans strong safety Bernard Pollard, who just finished his fourth season.

"All I can do is sign the tender I get offered. As for the guys who've been around long enough, they can go out and see what their value is."

Veterans like Pollard are upset for one major reason: They've played by the rules of the game since they came into the league and now the rules have changed. They've watched friends enter free agency in previous years and reap huge financial benefits....

...What people don't understand is that [restricted free agents] don't have any guarantees," Pollard said.

"We don't get any money up front in these deals and we'll be asked to do all the things we've done before. So if I tear up my ACL in the offseason, I have no security. And I also have to play another year to get back to this same position. Yes, we do love playing this game, but it's also hard work.".....

....Agents Harold Lewis and Kevin Omell have clients who understand what Pollard is feeling. ....

.....And if they're like Pollard, they're all probably wondering how this issue became as complicated as it now appears.

One thing they all have to agree on is that they're the first real collateral damage in the battle between the owners and players.

"I'm not a poker player, but if I was, I'd be folding by now," said Pollard, who will be commiserating with at least two other fellow restricted free-agent teammates -- linebacker DeMeco Ryans and tight end Owen Daniels.

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights." .....
UUUGGGHHHH. I can handle disgruntled from Dunta, but not from some of these core players. This is upsetting.
Old 03-04-2010   #3
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pollard, Ryans, Daniels mentioned in article re. disgruntled players

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
UUUGGGHHHH. I can handle disgruntled from Dunta, but not from some of these core players. This is upsetting.
Yeah, I'm going to be very disappointed if we lose Pollard, Ryans, or Daniels. I think each one of those guys brings something extremely important to our team and I don't think it's easily replaced.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's saying he's disgruntled towards the League/non-CBA, not towards the Texans.

At least that's how I read it.
Old 03-04-2010   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Context is key, this story is not local to our players and our FO. It is about the CBA.
Old 03-04-2010   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Context is key, this story is not local to our players and our FO. It is about the CBA.
Exactly, this is how it is everywhere. I feel their frustration but the good thing is that pretty much every player on every other team feels the same way. They're upset at the situation (CBA) not their respective teams... well for the most part
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #7
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:

"The owners hold all the cards right now. And we don't have any rights."
He's right.
Old 03-04-2010   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Again, they have their union to represent their rights and issues, for better or worse.

I wonder how screwed up the owners offer to the players union is, or if the union is playing hard ball... either way we as fans suffer, and right now the players too it seems.

I hope they get that damn CBA done ASAP!...
Old 03-04-2010   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

This part of football just really sucks. It really does. I hate listening to folks publicly quibble over millions of dollars. Sorry, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I do hope Pollard, Ryans and OD are all signed and made happy, I'm just getting real tired of listening to it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 52955 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
This part of football just really sucks. It really does. I hate listening to folks publicly quibble over millions of dollars. Sorry, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

I do hope Pollard, Ryans and OD are all signed and made happy, I'm just getting real tired of listening to it.
This^^^^^^^^^
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #11
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post

agreed.
Old 03-04-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Pollard, how many teams offered you a contract before Texans? Yep, that is what I thought. Some posters criticised Smith for waiting as long as he did to sign you. You got fired, set by the telephone for a while and Texans took a chance. It worked out well for both of you and you will probably get offer that doubles your salary. Shut up and play.
Old 03-04-2010   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Mr. Pollard, how many teams offered you a contract before Texans? Yep, that is what I thought. Some posters criticised Smith for waiting as long as he did to sign you. You got fired, set by the telephone for a while and Texans took a chance. It worked out well for both of you and you will probably get offer that doubles your salary. Shut up and play.
IMO, you are totally off base with this narrative based on the article.
Old 03-04-2010   #14
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Pollard, Ryans, Daniels mentioned in article re. disgruntled players

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it's saying he's disgruntled towards the League/non-CBA, not towards the Texans.

At least that's how I read it.
I agree - everyone is pissed off about the new rules from lack of a CBA.

They don't like how the owners are playing by the 'new' rules and are upset because players in their situations had it 'easy' the last what, 10 or 15 years?

*shrugs*

I feel for them, but I don't....
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #15
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard that dipshit on 790 (which one, right? The really stoopid one) saying the Vikings "could put a poison pill into #59's offer saying if he plays 9 reg season games in Texas he gets a big bonus. They could screw the Texans because they play the Cowboys this year."

Think some soccer/softball fan with below average sports knowledge told him the Cowboys play here?

They don't have Gene Upshaw to kick aorund anymore.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
*shrugs*

I feel for them, but I don't....
Me too. But the big thing to me is how it goes in the NFL. In the blink of an eye it can be over so it makes sense to me that they are so focused on getting as much as they possibly can. So I feel for them, but I don't.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
IMO, you are totally off base with this narrative based on the article.
How? He is disgruntled because the union he pays negotiated the CBA. He lost his job and got another one after no one else wanted him. He will probably more than double his income. So instead of being very rich, he will be just rich. I like the guy and he played well for us for one year. Does he have the right to be disgruntled yes. Do I want to hear it , no. He did nothing to clarify whom he was disgruntled at so he leave it open or interpretation. He should have added" Thank you Mr. McNair for having faith in me. I appreciate the huge raise and will do everything to make you and the fans proud of me."
Old 03-04-2010   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollard just got a 2.5 million dollar raise. He's the only one of the three that shouldn't be whining.

Ryans should be getting a hefty raise IMHO. He earned it last year, but we just have to wait and see if the front office thinks he deserves it.
Old 03-04-2010   #19
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post
I heard that dipshit on 790 (which one, right? The really stoopid one) saying the Vikings "could put a poison pill into #59's offer saying if he plays 9 reg season games in Texas he gets a big bonus. They could screw the Texans because they play the Cowboys this year."

Think some soccer/softball fan with below average sports knowledge told him the Cowboys play here?

Then we take their draft picks and find another ILB. Life goes on...it'd suck, but we still pay taxes.

I guess I'm not seeing the dude's logic...is he saying the Vikings would take DeMeco because the Cowboys play us this year? It'd make more sense for Minny to want Dallas to lose, as the playoff picture would have more to do with Dallas losing, from Minny's perspective.
Old 03-04-2010   #20
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Hoover View Post

I heard that too, that was the Mighty Dooche.... I mean Gwinn.

I am starting to get irritated with this whole Demeco thing, pay the guy dammit!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read