Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-27-2010   #1
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Here is my Mock 2.0

Here is my the second version of my mock draft. I will have a much, much clearer mock draft within a week after speaking with some NFL people who are at the combine. There will be some shifting and I'll find out who a couple of teams are favoring.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...get_a_cor.html
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #2
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here is my Mock 2.0

Hehe, LZ, I was just about to post this....

Good analysis as always.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

You think Clausen will be Quinn 2.0? By that I mean dropping all the way into the teens or possible the twenties?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #4
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
You think Clausen will be Quinn 2.0? By that I mean dropping all the way into the teens or possible the twenties?
A scout told me "if you have any balls, you will drop him out of your first round - he sucks!"

I obviously didn't have the balls to do that, but before my mock was finished, I did have him at 30 to the Vikings at one point.
Old 02-27-2010   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
20. Houston - Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Z-Report Says: It will be interesting to see if the Texans will pass on C.J. Spiller is on the board. This is a deep CB draft, but most NFL insiders feel like Wilson is one of the top 3 CBs on the board and if the Texans don't address this position via free agency, they probably need to do it within the first two rounds. If the Texans draft CB here, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move up a couple of spots in order to draft a RB they might covet.
love it. I've fast become territorial about Kyle, he would be a great fit here in Houston if still available. here are my notes so far -
  • natural, fluid hip turn creating instant redirect/change direction
  • cathes everything in his zone both over the top & dropped underneath
  • sits on routes reads QB patinet smooth back peddle, makes play on ball
  • does not back down, plays big in big games
  • shows excellent leadership, takes ownership of other teams #1 WR
  • physical despite size, better than advertised in run support
  • will hold position edge on WR forcing QB to take risks with ball
  • appetite for hard work & challanges, plays prepared

your contacts are right about Jimmy Claussen too, well at least you don't have him in top 10 kuddos!
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope St. Louis does take Bradford #1 overall, it'll mean another good player will fall a little, but I just don't see it happening. I also hope your right about Atlanta taking Weatherspoon and leaving Wilson for us but that pick makes me nervous because CB is a huge need for them as well. Also I don't see Eric Berry falling out of the top 10.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

pick by pick breakdown

1. St.Louis - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Bigger upside than Matt Stafford, QB is the most important position & St. Louis certainly needs one bad.
2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
No arguement here either, but it is Detroit so McCoy is still possible.
3. Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
no brainer Suh or McCoy.
4. Washington - Russell Okung, LT, Oklahoma State
Bradford gone, take the top LT prospect from what I seen today he's it.
5. Kansas City - Brian Bulaga, LT, Iowa
think he is only 20, nasty football player should be solid for next 12-15 years.
6. Seattle - Anthony Davis, LT, Rutgers
His stock dropped in my opinion @ the combine. also tape shows inconsistancies. should drop out of the top 10.
7. Cleveland - Joe Haden, CB, Florida
I'm not so sure he is even the top CB anymore? not tested that much, only 4 int's & 10 break-ups as a junior.
8. Oakland - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
you think Oakland is this smart? I think Trent is actually the #2 OT prospect in this draft. he is polished, versatile & very smooth with each task assigined.
9. Buffalo - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
character issues, enigma, diva potential.
10. Jacksonville - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
have not seen him but everybody chatters. not worried because I think Brown can neutralize him.
11. Denver - Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama
dominant defensive leader, great pick if still here.
12. Miami - Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
I could see this but think pick is based more on need than bpa. They should go C.J. Spiller here.
13. San Francisco - Eric Berry, FS, Tennessee
again don't see Barry falling this far maybe switch out with Haden?
14. Seattle - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Was not impressed with his inability to seperate against Iowa, can be shutdown.
15. New York (N) - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
this pick I have not seen before but makes sense with injury concerns.
16. Tennessee - Earl Thomas, CB/FS, Texas
Yeah another bitter pill to swallow I see you working......
17. San Francisco - Jimmy Claussen, QB, Notre Dame
reminds me of a meerkat
18. Pittsburgh - Mike Iupati, LG, Idaho
I'll trust you on this one. for sure doesn't fit ZBS.
19. Atlanta - Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
love this pick, great leadership ability @ need position & leaves Texans-
like taking candy from a baby (no babies were harmed in this exercise).
21. Cincinnati - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
he's got to have a clean bill of health to grade out this high.
22. New England - Jared Odrick, DT/DE, Penn State
totally down with this pick, top 3-4 DE in draft
23. Green Bay - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
again don't see him out of the top 20, but how could you resist? after today just plug in Campbell, they must address OL.
24. Philadelphia - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
why does it seem the Eagles always go DL in 1st? maybe Mays?
25. Baltimore - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
much needed weapon to stretch field.
26. Arizona - Taylor Mays, FS, USC
could be a trade up with Green Bay to get Spiller & pair him with Wells, then Packers get Campbell?
27. Dallas - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Jerry wishes.
28. San Diego - Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Floridadid not blow me away over other Center prospects @ combine, like to see them going Mathews or Dwyer.
29. NY Jets - Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
great pick, not feeling great going into NY next season, Texans need to protect Schaub.
30. Minnesota - Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
let the run on CB's begin one pick earlier.
31. Indianapolis - Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
Donovan Warren maybe if Patrick Robinson off board, don't think they have salary cap room to sign Dunta Robinson but wouldn't that be ironic, anybody ever think about that....Texans.....
32. New Orleans - Brian Price, DT, UCLA
could see this happening, monitor their free agent movement.
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2010   #8
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
pick by pick breakdown

1. St.Louis - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
Bigger upside than Matt Stafford, QB is the most important position & St. Louis certainly needs one bad.
2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
No arguement here either, but it is Detroit so McCoy is still possible.
3. Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
no brainer Suh or McCoy.
4. Washington - Russell Okung, LT, Oklahoma State
Bradford gone, take the top LT prospect from what I seen today he's it.
think he is only 20, nasty football player should be solid for next 12-15 years.
6. Seattle - Anthony Davis, LT, Rutgers
His stock dropped in my opinion @ the combine. also tape shows inconsistancies. should drop out of the top 10.
7. Cleveland - Joe Haden, CB, Florida
I'm not so sure he is even the top CB anymore? not tested that much, only 4 int's & 10 break-ups as a junior.
8. Oakland - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
you think Oakland is this smart? I think Trent is actually the #2 OT prospect in this draft. he is polished, versatile & very smooth with each task assigined.
9. Buffalo - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
character issues, enigma, diva potential.
10. Jacksonville - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
have not seen him but everybody chatters. not worried because I think Brown can neutralize him.
11. Denver - Rolando McClain, MLB, Alabama
dominant defensive leader, great pick if still here.
12. Miami - Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
I could see this but think pick is based more on need than bpa. They should go C.J. Spiller here.
13. San Francisco - Eric Berry, FS, Tennessee
again don't see Barry falling this far maybe switch out with Haden?
14. Seattle - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech
Was not impressed with his inability to seperate against Iowa, can be shutdown.
15. New York (N) - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
this pick I have not seen before but makes sense with injury concerns.
16. Tennessee - Earl Thomas, CB/FS, Texas
Yeah another bitter pill to swallow I see you working......
17. San Francisco - Jimmy Claussen, QB, Notre Dame
reminds me of a meerkat
18. Pittsburgh - Mike Iupati, LG, Idaho
I'll trust you on this one. for sure doesn't fit ZBS.
19. Atlanta - Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
love this pick, great leadership ability @ need position & leaves Texans-
like taking candy from a baby (no babies were harmed in this exercise).
21. Cincinnati - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
he's got to have a clean bill of health to grade out this high.
22. New England - Jared Odrick, DT/DE, Penn State
totally down with this pick, top 3-4 DE in draft
23. Green Bay - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
again don't see him out of the top 20, but how could you resist? after today just plug in Campbell, they must address OL.
24. Philadelphia - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
why does it seem the Eagles always go DL in 1st? maybe Mays?
25. Baltimore - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
much needed weapon to stretch field.
26. Arizona - Taylor Mays, FS, USC
could be a trade up with Green Bay to get Spiller & pair him with Wells, then Packers get Campbell?
27. Dallas - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
Jerry wishes.
28. San Diego - Maurkice Pouncey, C/G, Floridadid not blow me away over other Center prospects @ combine, like to see them going Mathews or Dwyer.
29. NY Jets - Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
great pick, not feeling great going into NY next season, Texans need to protect Schaub.
30. Minnesota - Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
let the run on CB's begin one pick earlier.
31. Indianapolis - Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
Donovan Warren maybe if Patrick Robinson off board, don't think they have salary cap room to sign Dunta Robinson but wouldn't that be ironic, anybody ever think about that....Texans.....
32. New Orleans - Brian Price, DT, UCLA
could see this happening, monitor their free agent movement.

Iupati could totally play in a zone scheme. The guy is one of the quickest guards laterally that I've seen on tape in a long time. Terrific feet and quickness. He can play in any system.
Old 02-28-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
Iupati could totally play in a zone scheme. The guy is one of the quickest guards laterally that I've seen on tape in a long time. Terrific feet and quickness. He can play in any system.
& Ben Tate led the RB class in bench press, I'm not impressed. He plays too high in his stance, maybe that can be corrected? Against NFL talent he is going to be a holding machine, because he doesn't anchor, keeping his butt down & at least one foot on the ground, fast or not. I think he is best suited as a pulling guard in a power rushing attack, thats not at all what the Texans do.
Old 02-28-2010   #10
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, he may turn out to be a fine player. But he's certainly no Kasey Studdard.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #11
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Btw LZ, I was wondering if your pops ever tells you what he thinks of some of the OL prospects. Or is he disconnected right now?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #12
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
& Ben Tate led the RB class in bench press, I'm not impressed. He plays too high in his stance, maybe that can be corrected? Against NFL talent he is going to be a holding machine, because he doesn't anchor, keeping his butt down & at least one foot on the ground, fast or not. I think he is best suited as a pulling guard in a power rushing attack, thats not at all what the Texans do.

I'm not sure what his anchor has to do with being able to move and playing in a zone scheme where quickness is at a premium.
Old 02-28-2010   #13
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Btw LZ, I was wondering if your pops ever tells you what he thinks of some of the OL prospects. Or is he disconnected right now?
If he is watching them, he'll tell me. He was at the Sr. Bowl and he went to the Combine, but his info has been limited this year. I'm relying on other line coaches with different teams and my own studying this year.
Old 02-28-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm not sure what his anchor has to do with being able to move and playing in a zone scheme where quickness is at a premium.
will get over extended, needs to focus on balance, the ability to anchor & slide is a required technique for OL regardless of scheme. I'm fine with Iupati going to Pittsburgh it helps push Kyle down to us
Old 02-28-2010   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't care how nasty he is, he can't cover OLT with thirty three inch arms. Yes it makes a difference. Solid RT.....play him inside. Put hm covering the blind side....you start looking for your new next QB. the speed rushers will eat him a live.
Old 02-28-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Speaking of ZBS & OL prospects after Trent Williams, who is so fluid & athletic I couldn't help but notice you left off Charles Brown, USC LT. I have him rated as my #2 LT prospect for ZBS. Had him going to Seattle for weeks @ #14 since Carrol took over & added Alex Gibbs to staff. He is the type of long, athletic LT I was hoping for the Texans. your thoughts?
Old 02-28-2010   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I don't care how nasty he is, he can't cover OLT with thirty three inch arms. Yes it makes a difference. Solid RT.....play him inside. Put hm covering the blind side....you start looking for your new next QB. the speed rushers will eat him a live.
I could be wrong but I think KC needs a RT so Lance may have him penciled in there while Brandon Albert goes into year 3 @ LT. But yeah from a BPA I was surprised how high he had him selected along with Anthony Davis? somehow Trent Williams needs to be the 2nd tackle taken off the board.
Old 02-28-2010   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think KC needs a RT so Lance may have him penciled in there while Brandon Albert goes into year 3 @ LT. But yeah from a BPA I was surprised how high he had him selected along with Anthony Davis? somehow Trent Williams needs to be the 2nd tackle taken off the board.
Ok I agree. More over....K.C.'s calling card was always a dominate o-line....which featured two great guards. As a guard prospect....as a RT I'll give y'all that. He's a great player. I could see them giving up a one next year and their two, and four and six.....coming back up and Taking Iupati to pair with him, I believe they are both that good. problem solved they can now run the ball against anyone . and crawl out of the top five pick tank.

But Brian Bulaga isn't going to cover OLT. In the first place , no coach in his right mind is going to stick a guy with thirty thee inch arms on the left side. Why , once the QB got killed that head coach would be done. forever.

Ya know I love Eric. absolutely. But every 300 snaps or so he's going to give up the inside move. and the reason why is, and we've had this discussion before , is the length of his arms. And you and Z and Mike Mayock aren't going to tell me Brian is quicker than Eric. No way. I was born at night. But not last night. No head coach in his right mind is going to stick a guy with 33" arms on the left side.
Old 02-28-2010   #19
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of ZBS & OL prospects after Trent Williams, who is so fluid & athletic I couldn't help but notice you left off Charles Brown, USC LT. I have him rated as my #2 LT prospect for ZBS. Had him going to Seattle for weeks @ #14 since Carrol took over & added Alex Gibbs to staff. He is the type of long, athletic LT I was hoping for the Texans. your thoughts?

I was all excited about Charles Brown until I watched him on tape and that excitement diminished. I wanted to like him because of how athletic he is, but he still has a ways to go. I could, however, see Seattle take a strong look at him in the 2nd round, but I can't see him as a first rounder.
Old 02-28-2010   #20
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ,
A sincere question: if the draft is deep enough at CB to justify starters through the first 3 rounds, why not hit a talent like CJ in round 1, and go after a CB in round 2?

(I am not taking a position. Just a sincere question.)

Best,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read