Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-03-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What picks do we have in the 2010 draft?

I'm putting together my wish list.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What picks do we have in the 2010 draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'm putting together my wish list.
This might help.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2010.php
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Only the first 2 rounds are set as of now. The 3rd through 7th rounds will be hammered out once compensatory picks are issued. As of now our first two rounds are:

1 - #20
2 - #51
3 - ?
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?

Last edited by HOU-TEX; 03-03-2010 at 11:39 AM.
HOU-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Only the first 2 rounds are set as of now. The 3rd through 7th rounds will be hammered out once compensatory picks are issued. As of now our first two rounds are:

1 - #20
2 - #50
3 - ?
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?
I think we've got the 51st pick. We'll be rotating in the order with Pittsburg and the Falcons.
Old 03-03-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I think we've got the 51st pick. We'll be rotating in the order with Pittsburg and the Falcons.
Gotcha, fixed. Thanks, man
Old 03-03-2010   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's my wish list:

1. Earl Thomas FS - Texas (Kyle Wilson CB - Boise St.)
2. Patrick Robinson CB - Florida St. (Reshad Jones FS/S - Georgia if Kyle Wilson selected first)
3. Matt Tenant C - Boston College
4. Lagarret Blount RB - Oregon
5. Marshall Newhouse G - TCU
6 Brandon Deaderick DT - Alabama
6. Chris Brown (I hate saying that) RB - Oklahoma
7. Aaron Pettrey K - Ohio St.

*Note* This is pre free agency for 2010.
Old 03-03-2010   #7
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's my wish list:

2. Patrick Robinson CB - Florida St. (Reshad Jones FS/S - Georgia if Kyle Wilson selected first)

I'd be ecstatic with that draft.
Old 03-03-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I'd be ecstatic with that draft.
I'm really hoping for Earl Thomas but the one thing I've learned about this crop of DBs is that there is plenty of good players that will be there for those first two rounds.

Initially I was all for getting interior OL and DL with the first but after looking at the prospects, I see that there's a pretty big drop off after the first top 5 OL and DTs. That's why I figured this could enable us to get the OL in later rounds. I would like to go with a DT in the 3rd or 4th but I just think the two I selected in those rounds are much better players than any DT that would be there.
Old 03-03-2010   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's my wish list:

This is a really good mock draft but Marshall Newhouse had a great Combine and I doubt he's available in the 5th round, he'll probably go in the 3rd.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #10
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm really hoping for Earl Thomas but the one thing I've learned about this crop of DBs is that there is plenty of good players that will be there for those first two rounds.

Initially I was all for getting interior OL and DL with the first but after looking at the prospects, I see that there's a pretty big drop off after the first top 5 OL and DTs. That's why I figured this could enable us to get the OL in later rounds. I would like to go with a DT in the 3rd or 4th but I just think the two I selected in those rounds are much better players than any DT that would be there.
Earl Thomas is probably my top choice as of now (and probably until our team actually makes the pick or someone picks him) unless CJ Spiller miraculously falls to us. Kyle Wilson would be choice 1B.
Old 03-03-2010   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Here's my wish list:

1. I'd be good with him
2. I highly doubt he'll be there, but if he is then we gotta
3. I've seen more of JD Walton so I'd go with him. Although I wouldn't be upset with either
4. Character problems will rule out Blount
5. If he's there, cool
6. Admittedly, I don't know a lot on him
6. Doubt we'll draft 2 RB
7. I'd be good with a K here
Old 03-03-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69316

working on our second mock as we speak
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #13
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69316

working on our second mock as we speak
I can't get enough mocks.
Old 03-03-2010   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's my wish list:

Robinson in the middle of the second round would be a steal, as would Deaderick in the 6th round. Thomas is my top choice in the 1st as well.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's my wish list:

1. Thomas- Love pick, hope he's there
2. Robinson- Probably wont be there, Cox,Ghee Franks or Kareem Jackson should be there.
3. Newhouse- Should be there
4. Blount- Texans wont take him I would, 2nd choice McKnight, One of Hardesty Dixon,McKnight and Tate will fall, I believe it will be McKnight.
5. Newhouse is already gone, Shawn Lauvao would be a good pick IMHO
6.Deadrick- Dont know anything about him, 2nd choice Kade Weston or Martin Tevaseu
6. Brown- I like L.Coker or S.Johnson more
7.Pettrey- Love this pick

You did a great job on your mock. I like how you double dipped the DB's early and got great value. Double dipped in an early rd Tennant and later Newhouse and also double dipped middle Blount and late Brown. Taking a flyer on a DT and a K late wwas also a smart move.

I hope the Texans follow the draft strategy that you laid out. I also would like to see the Texans trade a 2011 2nd for a 2011 3rd. This would allow them to double dip with the DT's Joseph and Weston or Deadrick would be fine with me.

Great job
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
1. Thomas- Love pick, hope he's there
2. Robinson- Probably wont be there, Cox,Ghee Franks or Kareem Jackson should be there.
3. Newhouse- Should be there
4. Blount- Texans wont take him I would, 2nd choice McKnight, One of Hardesty Dixon,McKnight and Tate will fall, I believe it will be McKnight.
5. Newhouse is already gone, Shawn Lauvao would be a good pick IMHO
6.Deadrick- Dont know anything about him, 2nd choice Kade Weston or Martin Tevaseu
6. Brown- I like L.Coker or S.Johnson more
7.Pettrey- Love this pick

You did a great job on your mock. I like how you double dipped the DB's early and got great value. Double dipped in an early rd Tennant and later Newhouse and also double dipped middle Blount and late Brown. Taking a flyer on a DT and a K late wwas also a smart move.

I hope the Texans follow the draft strategy that you laid out. I also would like to see the Texans trade a 2011 2nd for a 2011 3rd. This would allow them to double dip with the DT's Joseph and Weston or Deadrick would be fine with me.

Great job
Thanks.
I double dipped on the DBs because, like I said earlier, the DL and OL prospects that are in the top 5 of their positions will not be there at 20, and then the good players that can conrtribute will be there in later rounds. As for the DBs, this draft seems to be very loaded with them and the top 5 safties and CBs will be there at 20 when we pick.

To me the DBs on our team is where the most wholes are on our team. No real FS, and no real CB. Quin and Mccain played well but I'm not resting on rookies and Reeves has played better but I still don't feel confident with him. I also took into consideration that we are playing against The Colts twice a year. We gotta start getting top quality DBs if we want to stop that team. Having more top quality DBs improves those chances.

When it comes to RB, I was so tempted to go first round. Kubiak not taking a RB in the first round had a small part in me going the other way but it wasn't anything significant. I just believe what we are looking for can be had in the later rounds and Arian Foster gives us youth at the position. So in a way that's like 3 rookies at the RB position. I also believe we are going to make a run at a FA. I know alot of people say Lagarrett Blount has character issues. I see a kid that messed up in college and has been nothing but upstanding since then. If he can show that he's learned from that, he is going to be awesome. Besides, The Texans need to put that away if they want to get good quality players. Especially for a 4th rounder.
I thought going with a late RB just shows what we are trying to do with our team. Even though Slaton is predicted as being 100% at camp, the Dom Davis/Williams situation makes me weary of trusting that. Especially when it comes to back issues because they can be reoccuring. I think Chris Brown in the 6th is not a gamble and a very safe productive pick although I wouldn't mind going with another DT at round 6, after Deadrick.

Kicking is another area we lost games at. Kris Brown must have stock in Reliant or The Texans because they never bring in comp for him. He was pretty much nails before last year but honestly, his struggles were showing in preseason and I always wondered why noone brought him some comp. To me, selecting a kicker in round 7 isn't much of a gamble. Even if the kicker loses out to Kris, he will have improved our team by getting Kris to get better. If he wins, we are talking about a 7th round draft pick that beat out a 10+ year veteran kicker and our team will be better for it.
Old 03-04-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Blount also had problems being late for meetings and was suspended for it. In addition to the punch incident.

Hopefully the punch helped him realize that he was blowing the chance of a lifetime and he can keep a good head on his shoulders.
Old 03-04-2010   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Blount also had problems being late for meetings and was suspended for it. In addition to the punch incident.

Hopefully the punch helped him realize that he was blowing the chance of a lifetime and he can keep a good head on his shoulders.
I think the draft is the best thing for Blount. It will show him first hand how much money he lost out on for that incident.

I'm sure his coaches will have more insight on him. I just think he's a good talent at that spot and he wont last past that round. We aren't basing our offense around him, and he'd have a limited role as a "short yardage" back while he learns the game, and could POSSIBLY take the no. 1 rb spot.

My reasoning with guys like this is if this team has been built by selecting character guys, there should be enough already on this team to show a kid like Blount how life in the NFL works. If that aint happening....well did you really select character guys? New England had a core of character guys and Randy Moss and Corey Dillon turned out to be okay.
Old 03-04-2010   #19
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

1 - #20
2 - #51
3 - ?
4 - ?
5 - ?
6 - ?
6 - ?
7 - ?
I believe the compensatory picks don't start until the end of the third round, which means we also know our draft pick in round 3: it should be #18 in the round. But, I think Washington used their 3rd last year, so we are actually #17 in that round, or #81 overall.

In later rounds, we cycle through again: we have the #20 in round 4, #19 in round 5, #18 in round 6, and #20 in round 7. Plus we have SD's round 6 pick, which I think is #28. We won't know the overall number of those picks until after the 32 compensatories are announced.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #20
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think the draft is the best thing for Blount. It will show him first hand how much money he lost out on for that incident.

I'm sure his coaches will have more insight on him. I just think he's a good talent at that spot and he wont last past that round. We aren't basing our offense around him, and he'd have a limited role as a "short yardage" back while he learns the game, and could POSSIBLY take the no. 1 rb spot.

My reasoning with guys like this is if this team has been built by selecting character guys, there should be enough already on this team to show a kid like Blount how life in the NFL works. If that aint happening....well did you really select character guys? New England had a core of character guys and Randy Moss and Corey Dillon turned out to be okay.
If the Texans have all of these high character guys keeping a repentful Blount in line shouldn't be a problem.

You should Check out Chris Marinelli 6"7 300 Lbs. Played in ZBS at Stanford. He's the kind of guy that Smithiak like to pick in the 5/6 th rd. He's smart has played at a high level.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read