Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer
 
Texans_Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,183
Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

Latest blog post at the Chronicle:

More on Dunta Robinson and the Texans cornerbacks

It's a Q&A with Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders. I thought it was interesting, and I learned some things (which is one goal of my favorite blog posts).

Not sure that it gives us any answers to anything but it certainly explains a lot of our ambivalence on the topic.

Also contains a discussion of what is a little off with the ProFootballFocus numbers that people like to use.
__________________
More on the Texans? Please check TexansChick Hou Chronicle Blog & AOL Sports-Texans FanHouse & Twitter @StephStradley
Texans_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame
 
barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin
Section: 636
Posts: 2,636
Rep Power: 1155 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

The points you make about how difficult it is to pinpoint his production are accurate. I feel like I was very realistic about his production last year. I tried not to look at him for anything other than his actual production and I believe that it was towards the second half of the season that I really began to notice the difference between the tackling of Quin, Cushing, Ryans and Pollard compared to #23. My realization wasn't about him in coverage but rather the fact that it was becoming clear that our best CB was suddenly the worst tackler in the back 7 and THAT WAS HUGE TO ME. That's what I was seeing on the TV when I would rewatch.

The second thing to me was watching Quin making plays on the ball in comparison to Robinson and again thinking that he was simply doing a better job. Other than what you can see "on the ball" on TV there's no way to judge them in pass defense I don't think. At least not accurately.

Rick Smith always talks about "value" and that in my mind is the only thing that is really easy to judge. If he would be come one of the top 4 highest paid players on this team it wouldn't seem to be a good value and I think that is really all that can be said with any confidence about the impact of the decision.

I think his pass defense will be missed more than people are willing to admit though.
__________________
Come check out our blog @ http://www.texansbullblog.com/ News, Analysis and Commentary!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,584
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
The points you make about how difficult it is to pinpoint his production are accurate. I feel like I was very realistic about his production last year. I tried not to look at him for anything other than his actual production and I believe that it was towards the second half of the season that I really began to notice the difference between the tackling of Quin, Cushing, Ryans and Pollard compared to #23. My realization wasn't about him in coverage but rather the fact that it was becoming clear that our best CB was suddenly the worst tackler in the back 7 and THAT WAS HUGE TO ME. That's what I was seeing on the TV when I would rewatch.

The second thing to me was watching Quin making plays on the ball in comparison to Robinson and again thinking that he was simply doing a better job. Other than what you can see "on the ball" on TV there's no way to judge them in pass defense I don't think. At least not accurately.

Rick Smith always talks about "value" and that in my mind is the only thing that is really easy to judge. If he would be come one of the top 4 highest paid players on this team it wouldn't seem to be a good value and I think that is really all that can be said with any confidence about the impact of the decision.

I think his pass defense will be missed more than people are willing to admit though.

I've been missing his pass defense for the last three years!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #4
Kal
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0 Kal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respectedKal is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

As a part of the PFF puzzle I think there are some things of the mark regarding some comments regarding our website. Player participation isn't easy, but it isn't impossible and we're up around the 99.7% mark on stuff we've had verified. We make mistakes, but like I say its not impossible and while we're not gospel nor trying to eliminate subjectivity, I think there's merit in what we do as people who spends hours on every single game (plus our stats are more accurate than anything out there - we do thinks retrospectively which is the difference between getting a tackler right or given someone who is not even on the field credit)

On point (and I'm happy to deal with any concerns regarding PFF - we're not perfect at all, but strive to be as perfect as the science of football analysis allows us) it will be harder to replace Robinson than some believe, but at the same time the drop off that could come isn't going to be all that much because Robinson hasn't been playing to a high level.

He did follow a teams number one receiver around and didn't do to bad in truth, but it wasn't anywhere near the kind of money he wanted. Maybe half it. As it is some team is going to overpay him - just be glad it isn't you guys. I don't see why Quin and Reeves cant be a decent duo, the big problem is going to be generating consistent pressure up the middle.
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 48
Posts: 14,202
Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
As a part of the PFF puzzle I think there are some things of the mark regarding some comments regarding our website. Player participation isn't easy, but it isn't impossible and we're up around the 99.7% mark on stuff we've had verified. We make mistakes, but like I say its not impossible and while we're not gospel nor trying to eliminate subjectivity, I think there's merit in what we do as people who spends hours on every single game (plus our stats are more accurate than anything out there - we do thinks retrospectively which is the difference between getting a tackler right or given someone who is not even on the field credit)

On point (and I'm happy to deal with any concerns regarding PFF - we're not perfect at all, but strive to be as perfect as the science of football analysis allows us) it will be harder to replace Robinson than some believe, but at the same time the drop off that could come isn't going to be all that much because Robinson hasn't been playing to a high level.

He did follow a teams number one receiver around and didn't do to bad in truth, but it wasn't anywhere near the kind of money he wanted. Maybe half it. As it is some team is going to overpay him - just be glad it isn't you guys. I don't see why Quin and Reeves cant be a decent duo, the big problem is going to be generating consistent pressure up the middle.

It remains "the big problem". Real disruptive pressure in the middle would take our defense to an entirely new level and make Quin/Reeves look like a quality starting duo. As long as the front of the pocket continues to be impossible to penetrate we're going to continue to see our secondary have trouble on third down and our DE's being hearded wide right/left.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Challis, ID
Age: 48
Posts: 6,839
Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It remains "the big problem". Real disruptive pressure in the middle would take our defense to an entirely new level and make Quin/Reeves look like a quality starting duo. As long as the front of the pocket continues to be impossible to penetrate we're going to continue to see our secondary have trouble on third down and our DE's being hearded wide right/left.
So true and this represents the reason teams are searching high & low for DTs
who are effective at penetrating the pocket. These type of pass rushers are almost more in vogue now than edge rushers because of the QBs abilty to push up into the front of the pocket. Most CBs "look like a quality starting duo" with that kind of QB pressure up front.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame
 
m5kwatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,970
Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stats on the Texans DBs in 2009

Great stuff Steph as always!

I think its important to focus on the part about not being able to rely on all these statistics being thrown around. We don't know what players assignments are always and some can look to be doing their jobs but aren't (the center/defensive tackle example in the article). The best way to judge players are watching them on tape, numbers can't possibly quantify what a guy does out there. Rick has the luxury of having Gibbs or Bush there with him while evaluating Dunta's season on tape, I'm sure asking after every play "did he do his assignment properly" etc etc.

I think the Dunta decision has less to do with his actual football production though and more to do with wanting to spend that money elsewhere, and the fact that this draft is ultra deep in corners. So basically the decision was Quinn/Reeves can replace Dunta and a draftee can replace Quinn/Reeves.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger