Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-04-2010   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Players at 20 Mock - FanHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In this sort of Mock, you're pretty restricted.

If we get into this situation with CJ Spiller falling to us, I think we strike a deal with the Chargers and trade back. But I seriously doubt CJ drops to us.

So Steph was put into a kind of a bad spot here. She took the BPA and there's nothing wrong with that.
See you are assuming that I think SPiller is the BPA that fills a need for us. Mathews is bigger and good speed; combine 4.45. Now Steph may plan on drafting Hardesty in 3rd...
Old 03-04-2010   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
See you are assuming that I think SPiller is the BPA that fills a need for us. Mathews is bigger and good speed; combine 4.45. Now Steph may plan on drafting Hardesty in 3rd...
I'm not assuming anything about what you're thinking.

I'm assuming what STEPH is thinking.

Personally, I want Matthews. He's the guy I'd draft at that spot. Period. He's the guy I have my sights on even if the "top" CB or FS or DT is there. Matthews is #1 on my board based on the way I perceive our needs.

But a lot of people have Spiller as the #1 RB and I'm assuming that Steph had him as the BPA (regardless of need) at that point. And following common drafting logic, you take the BPA.

(I'm not a BPA guy. I'm a BPA w/ Need guy.)
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=The Pencil Neck;1375806]I'm not assuming anything about what you're thinking.

I'm assuming what STEPH is thinking.

Personally, I want Matthews. He's the guy I'd draft at that spot. Period. He's the guy I have my sights on even if the "top" CB or FS or DT is there. Matthews is #1 on my board based on the way I perceive our needs.

But a lot of people have Spiller as the #1 RB and I'm assuming that Steph had him as the BPA (regardless of need) at that point. And following common drafting logic, you take the BPA.

(I'm not a BPA guy. I'm a BPA w/ Need guy.)[/QUOTE]Agreed
Old 03-04-2010   #44
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Mathews offer better "all purpose yards" as I think Spiller will have same problems as Slaton. We don't have to worry about Slaton and another contract yet. I am hopeful Foster starts where he left off last 3 games. I am not against Spiller in first but if you do not get another RB later I would be very concerned.
Spiller doesn't have a reputation for fumbling like Slaton did.

If you are worried about injury issues relating to size and durability, I guess you can, but bigger doesn't mean not injury prone--Mathews had some injury history as well. I'm sure they checked out med records at the combine and poked them up good.

Spiller is worshiped by Clemson fans.

I picked Spiller because he was considered by a roughish majority of draft sites as BPA, and he was a BPA in a position of need.

I don't pretend to have any special knowledge of these players because I didn't see them play, YouTube doesn't count, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I did what would be conventional.
Old 03-04-2010   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

If you are worried about injury issues relating to size and durability, I guess you can, but bigger doesn't mean not injury prone--Mathews had some injury history as well. I'm sure they checked out med records at the combine and poked them up good.

I picked Spiller because he was considered by a roughish majority of draft sites as BPA, and he was a BPA in a position of need.

I don't pretend to have any special knowledge of these players because I didn't see them play, YouTube doesn't count, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I did what would be conventional.
Quote:
20. Texans: C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson (Previous Pick: Taylor Mays)
The Texans need help on defense, especially at defensive back given Dunta Robinson's departure, but perhaps the best defense is an even more explosive offense (or maybe winning the field-position battle). Maybe this is the year the Texans stop making-do at running back and draft a high-pick, multi-purpose running back (without a fumbling history).
-- Stephanie Stradley
I think your amazing

there is only one player I have rated higher than Spiller who was still on the board & that is Trent Williams, OT I know but imagine the possiblities. more realistic of course is Kyle Wilson , a top notch CB to replace Dunta but if they thought this would hurt them why release him in the first place? The important thing is you followed your draft board & not your heart selecting BPA, can't ask anymore than that. good job!
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #46
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179775 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At one point last year , I believe Spiller was the leader for the Heisman , then he faded a bit .

What you should have done was have the Rams sign Demeco , JMO .
Old 03-04-2010   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are going to take a corner with terrible hands in 2nd round? I guess he could jump up and try to knock the ball away with his head.
We will not have to worry about him intercepting and then fumbling will we?
I have CB's rated after the combine

1. Haden- Regardless of his 40 time I think he's going to be great. I dont trust combine 40 times. (see Mays)
2. Wilson-May end up being better than Haden
3. Ghee-Great cover CB only reason he falls is because of hands and they're not as bad as advertised.
4. Robinson-Most talented/inconsistent CB in this draft.

Correct Ghee wont fumble but if he hangs out with his RB friends he will learn to fumble. LOL
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2010   #48
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could live with Spiller, still need a short yardage guy but a home run hitter never hurts either
Old 03-04-2010   #49
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good pick Steph, BPA and a position of need.

I hope if I wake up tomorrow McClain will have reported the Texans have reached an agreement with Chester Taylor. This would allow the Texans to use Spiller as a bargaining chip in a potential trade down.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

Sorry TC should have clarified. I think any light fast back like Slaton or Spiller will hae difficulty going through the box. Both can be successful on slants, end arounds,etc. but is that what we need with Slaton already here and supposedly ready to go by game 1? Not to be rude but I couldn't care less if Spiller is worshipped by Clemson fans. Does not play into where we draft a guy. I am not against Spiller as I advocated for Charles from UT last season. If we knew Foster was going to be our power guy then SPiller would be a good choice.
Old 03-05-2010   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I have CB's rated after the combine

1. Haden- Regardless of his 40 time I think he's going to be great. I dont trust combine 40 times. (see Mays)
2. Wilson-May end up being better than Haden
3. Ghee-Great cover CB only reason he falls is because of hands and they're not as bad as advertised.
4. Robinson-Most talented/inconsistent CB in this draft.

Correct Ghee wont fumble but if he hangs out with his RB friends he will learn to fumble. LOL
You have an excellent read on Haden who will be a tremendous bust if he is not a very good cover corner in NFL. WIlson has been my guy for months & he has raced up the boards. May not be there for #20. Ghee, I actually liked him until combine and you could be right about his hands as he seemed to do ok in college. Main thing is he seems to be able to stay with the receiver. Doesn't matter how good a CB's hands are if he is out of range.
Old 03-05-2010   #52
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice pick. Probably not my favorite but if it happened I think it would be a great move. Spiller kind of reminds me of a Reggie Bush that can run better between the tackles. I'll take that, pair him up with Arian Foster and Steve Slaton and we've got ourselves a pretty good looking trio of RB's.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Good pick Steph, BPA and a position of need.

I hope if I wake up tomorrow McClain will have reported the Texans have reached an agreement with Chester Taylor. This would allow the Texans to use Spiller as a bargaining chip in a potential trade down.
Of the FA running backs Taylor interests me the most. What is your read on him as I did not follow him NFL years. He seems pretty good with less milage splitting time with Peterson correct? NFL TV show last night said he will have many offers.
Old 03-05-2010   #54
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am currently working on the FanHouse 2.0 Mock. Here's the FanHouse 1.0 Mock.
According to that mock my top 7 available are:

1. Kyle Wilson
2. Dan Williams
3. Jonathan Dwyer
4. Patrick Robinson
5. Taylor Mays
6. Donavan Warren
7. Maurkice Pouncey
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read