Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-26-2010   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Twitter - Rick Smith

Some interesting things being said by Rick Smith right now - Link

Quote:
Smith: will meet with DeMeco Ryans' agent this weekend

Smith: despite CBA uncertainty, approaching contracts as business as usual

Smith: Pollard did heckuva job, I was proud of his impact, met with his agent last night, added a new dimension to defense,

Smith: we didn't realize our goals of making playoffs, but we continued to improve

Smith: K. Walter a big part of team, we would like to have him back, said that to his agent

Smith: not depleted at CB, but still looking to add quality players

Smith: important to get another CB now that Robinson is gone, but Texans have great CBs in Quin and McCain and Reeves

Smith: RB is a position where you can get early production from younger players

Smith: entertaining idea and thought process of adding Tomlinson
LOL on McClain on the last one.
Old 02-26-2010   #2
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns
Default Rick Smith taking questions at The Combine

Here's some of the good stuff:

Quote:
we didn't blow the coin toss, the league had a coin with logos on both sides
Quote:
entertaining idea and thought process of adding Tomlinson. RB is a position where you can get early production from younger players
Quote:
important to get another CB now that Robinson is gone, but Texans have great CBs in Quin and McCain and Reeves
Quote:
not depleted at CB, but still looking to add quality players
Quote:
K. Walter a big part of team, we would like to have him back, said that to his agent
Quote:
Pollard did heckuva job, I was proud of his impact, met with his agent last night, added a new dimension to defense,
Quote:
despite CBA uncertainty, approaching contracts as business as usual
Quote:
will meet with DeMeco Ryans' agent this weekend
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #3
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns
Default Re: Texans Twitter - Rick Smith

Ha! Just posted this in the 2010 Combine area...
Old 02-26-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Twitter

That's awesome news, I-cak. Man, I hope he's able to strike a deal with D-Ryans agent. He deserves it!

Interesting on LT. I'm not sure how serious he is entertaining it.
Old 02-26-2010   #5
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That's awesome news, I-cak. Man, I hope he's able to strike a deal with D-Ryans agent. He deserves it!

Agreed, let's hope they start moving forward with signing Ryans.

Also I bet every GM (execpt the one in San Diego) has entertained the idea of LT.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frak The Jags View Post
Ha! Just posted this in the 2010 Combine area...
Since most of it isn't draft related I merged them here and not to have duplicate threads. We can stick draft specific stuff over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Who knows how serious. Heck he may be saying it just to tweak McClain.
Old 02-26-2010   #7
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Since most of it isn't draft related I merged them here and not to have duplicate threads. We can stick draft specific stuff over there.

Perfect.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Texans are doing more for old worn out and sometimes injured RBs than the union and NFL.
Old 02-26-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith: important to get another CB now that Robinson is gone, but Texans have great CBs in Quin and McCain and Reeves
this makes me very uncomfortable, R U kidding me
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #10
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

From McClain's Twitter:

Quote:
Texans GM Rick Smith just told us he's met with agents representing Owen Daniels, Kevin Walter and Bernard Pollard.
Old 02-26-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
What else is he supposed to say?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #12
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's any stretch to say they all played better then Dunta last season.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's called mis-direction... I hope. Still he has said that Quin is a good starter. So he could go with Reeves #2, Quinn replacing DR and McCain at nickle. Especially if Earl Thomas is our 1st. Maybe draft a Jerome Murphy or Ansah 6'1" 205 lb 4.43 in 3rd or 4th?
Old 02-26-2010   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That's called mis-direction... I hope.
I don't see the concern or mis-direction. The start of the sentence was they need to get another CB.
Old 02-26-2010   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
What else is he supposed to say?
accurate personel evaluations without sugar coating. he is afterall the brains behind player development & aquistion
Old 02-26-2010   #16
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Love the info on Ryans, Walter and Pollard. Show them the money!!!
Old 02-26-2010   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
accurate personel evaluations without sugar coating. he is afterall the brains behind player development & aquistion
Why do that when you can replace them and still stroke their ego at the same time?...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't think it's any stretch to say they all played better then Dunta last season.
Kubiak post New England quote:
Quote:
(on if CB Dunta Robinson is still a good fit with this football team, money aside) "Yeah, I think he did a heck of a job, but obviously we have many free agents on this team that we're going to have to deal with and make decisions on. Dunta came back. We put the tag on him and he missed all of training camp. We threw him out there from Week 1. The thing that I was impressed with was he got better each and every week. He was out there for his teammates every week. He might've played his best game yesterday. I thought he was very good in the game.
Old 02-26-2010   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That's called mis-direction... I hope. Still he has said that Quin is a good starter. So he could go with Reeves #2, Quinn replacing DR and McCain at nickle. Especially if Earl Thomas is our 1st. Maybe draft a Jerome Murphy or Ansah 6'1" 205 lb 4.43 in 3rd or 4th?
What makes Earl Thomas a good 1st round pick is you know he can come in and play that nickel back position if need be while he learns the NFL game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a bit more in depth from BRB who has a guy at the combine:

Quote:
- Smith said that they were "evaluating" LaDainian Tomlinson, aka the normal stock answer, but when pressed by McClain, also said that "we do want young players," but that there are cases where "a veteran adds value." In other words, we're going around in circles.

- The Texans will meet with Owen Daniels' and DeMeco Ryans' representatives tonight. Smith added that his team would be approaching contracts as "business as usual" and that the potential of uncapped years and lockouts would not alter the way they go about structuring the contracts.

- The decision to get rid of Dunta Robinson was made with "level of play, level of compensation," as well as "how (we) felt about other players at that position." He went on to praise Glover Quin as doing an excellent job, and said he was comfortable with him going forward at cornerback. He also repeated the Kubiak quote about Quin getting a lot more attention if not for Brian Cushing. "We are not depleted at the position," he added. Smith also said that with Jacques Reeves being a former starter and Fred Bennett being a former starter that they think they have the experience to not feel pressured to pick a cornerback.

-The Texans would like to have Kevin Walter back, but at the same time, "with the way free agency is, you can't keep everybody."

-Smith sounded like he fully expected free agency to slow down this year with how many more RFAs there are. "I don't know how much movement you'll see." He went on to say that picks are at a premium, and are valued moreso than they were five years ago. Obviously if a player is productive, he'll get the highest tender, therefore he "doesn't know whether teams will be forthcoming," about restricted free agency.

-After he just answered a question about not dealing with hypotheticals (what if Owen Daniels was healthy the whole season?), McClain asked him what kind of attributes his ideal back would have. Smith replied: "Jim Brown." McClain: "Would he fit in your system?" Smith: "Yes, he would."

-Asked about running backs in the draft, he gave a deflective answer and said that there were "elements of both power, bruising backs...as well as speed, edge runners," and that teams would have choices either way.

-On defensive improvement last year: "We thought that with (Antonio) Smith, (Brian) Cushing, and (Bernard) Pollard, we were able to improve on each level."
http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/2/...ne-rick-smiths
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read