Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-26-2010   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Don Banks Mock 2.0

Has Spiller to the Texans, Mays to the Cowboys

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...t-1/index.html

Quote:
20 RB C.J. Spiller Clemson Sr. 5-11 195 What a gift for the Texans' moribund running game if Spiller -- the draft's consensus top rusher -- lasts until Houston's turn comes up. How much better might the Texans' explosive passing game be if opposing defenses have to respect a running threat? Spiller is a versatile talent who can run, catch the ball out of the backfield and add some juice in the return game.
Quote:
27 S Taylor Mays USC Sr. 6-3 230 The Cowboys could use another option at offensive tackle should they let Flozell Adams go, but Mays should be an easy card to turn in. Though he didn't make enough big plays for the Trojans as a senior, he's a gifted athlete who has impressive size and speed, and he fills a crying need in Dallas. Honestly now, who wouldn't want a guy named Mays playing centerfield for their defense?
Old 02-26-2010   #2
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Don Banks Mock 2.0

I'd love for Spiller to fall to us...he's a huge playmaker and has a pretty good head on his shoulders judging from every interview I've heard him do.
Old 02-26-2010   #3
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Draft goes down the way he has it here with Wilson, Thomas, Williams, and Iupati all gone by 20, I hope we trade back. I just don't think the Texans will go for a small but fast RB this early. If it was the 3rd, like Slaton, I could see it, but I think they are looking more for a Dwyer/Matthews/Gerhart type back anyway. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
If the Draft goes down the way he has it here with Wilson, Thomas, Williams, and Iupati all gone by 20, I hope we trade back. I just don't think the Texans will go for a small but fast RB this early. If it was the 3rd, like Slaton, I could see it, but I think they are looking more for a Dwyer/Matthews/Gerhart type back anyway. JMHO!
I agree. SPiller certainly looked good this last season but I just don't have that feeling for him. Dwyer losing weight may bring him into the type like Matthews that Texans like. I still want TG.
Old 02-26-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dwyer losing weight may bring him into the type like Matthews that Texans like. I still want TG.
Or it may be like Chan Gailey said and he struggles with keeping his weight down. I'd cross Dwyer off the list unless he were to fall a couple extra rounds. I still want Mathews.
Old 02-26-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Or it may be like Chan Gailey said and he struggles with keeping his weight down. I'd cross Dwyer off the list unless he were to fall a couple extra rounds. I still want Mathews.
Betweem Mathews and Dwyer, I select Mathews.
Old 02-26-2010   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
If Matthews runs well , he'll be a Charger IMO . The Chargers have had good luck with 220 lb backs from the WAC/MWC .
Old 02-26-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Acc > wac
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179094 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Acc > wac
You missed the point , SWAC ( Payton ) > ACC . LT was a HOF RB for the Chargers out of TCU so they would not be afraid to pick Matthews .

Besides the majority of great RBs have been 220 lbs or below ... I wonder why .

Jim Brown
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton
Larry Csonka
Gale Sayers
Emmitt Smith
Curtis Martin
Eric Dickerson
Marcus Allen
Jim Thorpe
Marshall Faulk
Edgerrin James
Terrell Davis
Jerome Bettis
O.J. Simpson
Tony Dorsett
Franco Harris
Frank Gifford
Tiki Barber
LaDainian Tomlinson
Priest Holmes
Jamal Lewis
Joe Perry
Jim Taylor
Charley Trippi
Doak Walker
John Riggins
Marion Motley
Hugh McElhenny
Lenny Moore
Ollie Matson
Leroy Kelly
Earl Campbell
Paul Hornung

Highlighted over 220 lbs .
Old 02-26-2010   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mathews is the best/most complete back in the draft. I've got him going to SD at the end of the first round.

If we go RB in the first I would rather "reach" on Mathews than take Spiller. Not a knock on Spiller. I just think Mathews will be better.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89849 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the idea of us passing on Matthews. I feel like he could be our franchise back and give us 20 carries a game then you have a change of pace guy like Slaton who can give us 10 carries and be a receiver out of the backfield and then another bruiser for the goalline in Foster.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Has Spiller to the Texans, Mays to the Cowboys
Unlikely that Spiller is there, but if so Kubiak is gonna be in a difficult spot because Spiller certainly has value at 20 but the Texans HC just dosn't like to use such high picks on backs. And as far as the Cowboys taking Mays, haven't they already learned about the downside of taking a big, physical safety with inferior cover-skills ?
Oh, and it looks like Banks has joined the small but growing group that favors Oklahomas McCoy over Suh.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Unlikely that Spiller is there, but if so Kubiak is gonna be in a difficult spot because Spiller certainly has value at 20 but the Texans HC just doesn't like to use such high picks on backs. And as far as the Cowboys taking Mays, haven't they already learned about the downside of taking a big, physical safety with inferior cover-skills ?
Oh, and it looks like Banks has joined the small but growing group that favors Oklahomas McCoy over Suh.
I believe it is because of the injury history between Suh and McCoy. This is soon to be the pick apart season. That is how a Ryan Leif ends up talked up to the #2 behind a Payton Manning. Your heart talks your eyes out of what they've seen on tape or ears have heard in the interviews. There's also a scramble to get out of the top five. Detroit isn't peddling the two for nothing. No one wants to over pay for talent. Tampa just put the keep your hands off tag on their young OLT prospect. They looked over the pile of top OLTs and said thanks but no thanks.
Old 02-27-2010   #14
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Because of the short shelf live of a running back, I don't think we are positioned well to waste a 1st round pick on a RB. We need to solidify our OL first. Without knowing whether Pitts can or will come back to us, we are looking at solidifying 3/5ths of our OL this year thru draft and FA. Now is no time to spend a high choice on a RB that just runs into a brick wall down after down.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read