Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-24-2010   #1
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Julius Peppers a free agent

Carolina has anounced that they will not franchise Peppers this year thus making him a free agent March 5. Should the Texans look at him or just rule him out because of the high price he will demand? Thoughts. It sure would be awesome to see him on the end opposite Mario.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Julius Peppers a free agent

Him and Mario would be deadly but I know it is not going to happen though.
Old 02-24-2010   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we are going to spend that kind of money, we need to spend it on a DT or a CB or safety. While the DE position across from Mario could use some improvement, it's not near the need we have on the interior D Line or the defensive backfield.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans could look at moving Antonio Smith inside permanently and still look at drafting a guy like Dan Williams in the 1st. Just thinking. I know it would be a super long shot for the Texans to sign a guy like Peppers but I still like to hear what kind of ideas you guys have.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

One things for sure, having him on the other side of the line from Mario would be a dream. I just don't think it will happen when there are so many other needs at this time.

Stranger things have happened though.

Old 02-24-2010   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

hell didn't the colts have 2 rookie CB's on their roster while they had those two guys as DE's

just saying to say LOL
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
The Texans could look at moving Antonio Smith inside permanently and still look at drafting a guy like Dan Williams in the 1st. Just thinking. I know it would be a super long shot for the Texans to sign a guy like Peppers but I still like to hear what kind of ideas you guys have.
DT should be upgraded through the draft while I have not given up on Amobi just yet I will if he does not play better next season. Here is the problem with him though he was drafted very young and has just reached the age where he should just be coming out of school him being drafted as early as he was and give such a large contract was a huge mistake by the Texans before he even proved he had game in the first place. I feel for him because he is vey kind and has tons of brains in his head but every NFL fan knows the NFL is only about on the field preformence and that is all. I am glad the NFL has now placed a cap on rookie contracts it should have been done a long time ago to help try and prevent rookies from signing those huge contracts only turning out to be a big time bust. It was really done to help the retirment fund for retired players but it should kill two birds with one stone.
I fan of having Smith play on the inside of the line but also drafting another DT although not in the early rounds and a little less heavy contract. As for Peppers I would love to have him and Mario coming off those eges but he is thirty years old and he probably wants one last large pay day so you'd have to very careful with him contract wise so I am sure that will draw him away from any team with that mind set leaving the Texans and other teams having to pick up as much talent as they can via the draft and besides I highly doubt Bob would pay Peppers his due anyway because that is just not the way he rolls.
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2010   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Julius Peppers a free agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post

I think that might work out (moving Smith inside) actually, now that you mention it, I wonder if Mario Williams can play a little DT here and there. He has the size 6'6" 295 and gets a good punch on linemen.

Anyways, moving Smith to DT and then getting Peppers would make Peyton Manning piss in his pants.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't even think about it. Don't even act like it. It'll never happen and you know it.

But how cool would that be? Mario Okoye Smith Peppers? Daaaaaannnng....Move Mario inside you say? Barwin Mario Smith Peppers....Double Daaaannnngg....

The front 7 would be pretty awesome.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The counterpoint to the Julius Peppers bandwagon:

Quote:
“I wouldn’t touch him, for that money and what he gives you,’’ said an ex-Panthers personnel man. “On the field, he’s a freak athletically, but it’s whether he shows up or not. He’ll go two and three games and do nothing but take up space. Then he’ll have two sacks, a forced fumble, a pick, and change the game. And that’s the danger. He can mesmerize you, but it’s not consistent.’’

“He could end up costing some personnel guy his job,’’ said an AFC scout with extensive experience evaluating Peppers. “I’m terrified of him. In my heart of hearts, I believe that if you pay this guy, I don’t think you’ll see a double-digit sack [season] again the rest of his career.’’
Link

I'm just not sure this is the guy you drop into a young, up and coming defense. The productivity appears inconsistent, and when you're talking about bringing in veteran leadership to show the younger guys how to win, this clearly isn't the attitude and philosophy your trying to encourage. Besides, there's already a knock on Mario for not playing hard enough every play - I don't think you want to do anything that might reinforce that tendency.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 02-25-2010 at 09:58 AM.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The counterpoint to the Julius Peppers bandwagon:

Link

I'm just not sure this is the guy you drop into a young, up and coming defense. The productivity appears inconsistent, and when you're talking about bringing in veteran leadership to show the younger guys how to win, this clearly isn't the attitude and philosophy your trying to encourage. Besides, there's already a knock on Mario for now playing hard enough every play - I don't think you want to do anything that might reinforce that tendency.
Nice read. I am not so sure sure anymore.
Old 02-25-2010   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Go ahead and end this dream now. The Texans would never go after a high dollar free agent like Peppers.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #13
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

And I'm glad they won't. You want to be the Redskins? If he was the very last piece..maybe. Not with so many holes, no with so much downside.
Old 02-25-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Go ahead and end this dream now. The Texans would never go after a high dollar free agent like Peppers.
And you would want them too?

If second honeymoon was our GM, Peppers would be offered a 2 year $100 million contract with $65 of it guarranteed.
Old 02-25-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If we are going to spend that kind of money, we need to spend it on a DT or a CB or safety. While the DE position across from Mario could use some improvement, it's not near the need we have on the interior D Line or the defensive backfield.
The arguement I have heard is move Antonio SMith inside. I guess with Mario, Peppers and the LBs the DT would not have to gets sacks just tie up the RB and the OLine. Peppers would be tremendous addition at a reasonable price on a front loaded deal with not too much guaranteed.
Old 02-25-2010   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The arguement I have heard is move Antonio SMith inside. I guess with Mario, Peppers and the LBs the DT would not have to gets sacks just tie up the RB and the OLine. Peppers would be tremendous addition at a reasonable price on a front loaded deal with not too much guaranteed.
And that is exactly why he won't be coming here. The dude's looking to get paid the most in NFL history. Would we want to be the one's who do it? F--- no!

Not really directed at your post, badboy. Just piggy-backin
Old 02-25-2010   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If we do nothing about our DT's inability to collapse the pocket then signing Julius Peppers would merely mean that instead of one expensive and talented DE running right past the play we'd now have two of them doing it.

We have the tools at DE to make a big mess. We just can't get any disruption or penetration from the inside. Fix that and Mario & Co. will feast on opposing QB's all year long.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pretty sure Julius will want to be compensated well for his services.

Funny how people think you can just move a DE into the middle and poof he's a great DT.

I don't think it works that way.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If we do nothing about our DT's inability to collapse the pocket then signing Julius Peppers would merely mean that instead of one expensive and talented DE running right past the play we'd now have two of them doing it.

We have the tools at DE to make a big mess. We just can't get any disruption or penetration from the inside. Fix that and Mario & Co. will feast on opposing QB's all year long.
This is how I see it as well.

Old 02-25-2010   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
And you would want them too?

If second honeymoon was our GM, Peppers would be offered a 2 year $100 million contract with $65 of it guarranteed.
When did I ever say that?? If this was a few years ago, hell yeah I would have wanted Peppers and wouldn't have minded the Texans to spend a lot for him. Not now though. He's shown to be just like Mario in the sense that he's not always motivated to play all out on every down. I don't have a problem at all with spending money on a top fee agent though if he's young enough at the right position and he's a highly motivated player that's worth it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read