Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-24-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Price - watch his film here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQMYESMEaY

The more I watch of him, the more I fall in love with this kid in our scheme. He'd be perfect. He penetrates so well against the pass. Peyton won't be able to step up into the pocket (as our ends fly right past him) with this kid in the middle.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Price - watch his film here!

I think he will be gone by our pick.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQMYESMEaY

The more I watch of him, the more I fall in love with this kid in our scheme. He'd be perfect. He penetrates so well against the pass. Peyton won't be able to step up into the pocket (as our ends fly right past him) with this kid in the middle.
That's why I've liked him for so long as well. Sure, Price gives up a little bit against the run but it's not like he is a slouch. His penetration into the backfield on passing plays far outweighs that I think, especially since it is such a passing league these days.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 119243 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I have not watched a great deal of film on him, but so far he looks like and what I've heard sounds a lot like what I saw and heard about Okoye. I dont think another 3 technique dt is what we need. I think we need a two gap run stuffer that clogs the middle and frees up others to shoot the gaps.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted this same youtube link a few months ago, still fun to watch it. Every game he is a presence on their line and he makes a ton of plays. Good against the pass and the run. If he is still on the board when we pick I think he has a great shot at being a Texan.
Old 02-24-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That's why I've liked him for so long as well. Sure, Price gives up a little bit against the run but it's not like he is a slouch. His penetration into the backfield on passing plays far outweighs that I think, especially since it is such a passing league these days.
Plus our defensive scheme is designed for our LB's to make plays vs. the run, not the d-line. Its our d-lines job to keep guards and centers off our LB's (or as Gruden would say "keep your linebackers clean") so the LB's can make the tackles on runningbacks. Our d-lines job, and specifically in our 4-3 scheme, is to penetrate on pass plays and hold the point of attack on run plays.

If Price is there I'd bet all my worldly possessions we'll take him unless there's some shocking can't miss prospect there (like a Haden or Earl Thomas).
Old 02-24-2010   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I have not watched a great deal of film on him, but so far he looks like and what I've heard sounds a lot like what I saw and heard about Okoye. I dont think another 3 technique dt is what we need. I think we need a two gap run stuffer that clogs the middle and frees up others to shoot the gaps.
Okoye was ALL speed though coming out, we all new he was a smallish DT. Price has a bigger frame and uses both power and speed to get into the backfield. Okoye has to beat lineman off the snap or he's toast.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2010   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Okoye was ALL speed though coming out, we all new he was a smallish DT. Price has a bigger frame and uses both power and speed to get into the backfield. Okoye has to beat lineman off the snap or he's toast.

Amobi Okoye is 6'2" 315-lbs while Brian Price is 6'2" 300-lbs, aside from the weight difference, Okoye is bigger IMO then Price.

Most people know I don't want Brian Price and they probably also know that I am a big fan of beastly DTs that take up space so I'm still going to support Dan Williams because if we need a DT to keep our LBs clean then he's the man for the job.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Amobi Okoye is 6'2" 315-lbs while Brian Price is 6'2" 300-lbs, aside from the weight difference, Okoye is bigger IMO then Price.

Most people know I don't want Brian Price and they probably also know that I am a big fan of beastly DTs that take up space so I'm still going to support Dan Williams because if we need a DT to keep our LBs clean then he's the man for the job.
Okoye was only 302 when he weighed in at the combine. I understand there is an age difference but I don't think it would be impossible for Price to add weight.

If you watch Okoye's college tape and Price's college tape side by side you can easily tell (at least I can) that Price would punk Amobi's ass off the line of scrimmage.

I understand that you like Williams (and there are plenty of reasons why you should). But it seems like you jump in every thread we have here about DTs and throw around heights and weights as if those are the only judgments that can be made about a player.
Old 02-25-2010   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye was really a one year wonder at Louisville. He wasn't near a top prospect going into his senior year.

I think people need to try to seperate what's happened with Travis Johnson and Amobi Okoye from drafting another DT in the first round. If we need help at the position, which we do, than we shouldn't be afraid to address it high.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #11
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okoye was only 302 when he weighed in at the combine. I understand there is an age difference but I don't think it would be impossible for Price to add weight.

If you watch Okoye's college tape and Price's college tape side by side you can easily tell (at least I can) that Price would punk Amobi's ass off the line of scrimmage.

I understand that you like Williams (and there are plenty of reasons why you should). But it seems like you jump in every thread we have here about DTs and throw around heights and weights as if those are the only judgments that can be made about a player.

The reason I do what I do is because I have a hunch that Brian Price is going to become another Amobi Okoye for us. If we really want our defensive tackles to keep our linebackers clean then pair Dan Williams with Cam Thomas. I'm sure those two guys can make plays here and there and allow Brian Cushing and DeMeco Ryans to do what they do.
Old 02-25-2010   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The reason I do what I do is because I have a hunch that Brian Price is going to become another Amobi Okoye for us. If we really want our defensive tackles to keep our linebackers clean then pair Dan Williams with Cam Thomas. I'm sure those two guys can make plays here and there and allow Brian Cushing and DeMeco Ryans to do what they do.
If you're gonna put Williams and Thomas as our DTs then you better hope to God that we have the best blitz package in the league. Cuz we won't be getting any sacks up the middle from those two.
Old 02-25-2010   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you're gonna put Williams and Thomas as our DTs then you better hope to God that we have the best blitz package in the league. Cuz we won't be getting any sacks up the middle from those two.

Thats true but its not like we're getting much from Okoye and whoever is next to him. My plan would be to keep Okoye in as the starter and draft Cam Thomas. If we can get Okoye one-on-one I think he can do damage, let Cam Thomas get doubled team. My only feat is that I don't think Thomas will fall beyond the 3rd round because of what he did at the senior bowl.

Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Cam Thomas, Antonio Smith, now that would be nice.

BTW, why haven't we seen the Texans try some d-line stunts, is that not part of our scheme?
Old 02-26-2010   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we can get Okoye one-on-one I think he can do damage...
I haven't seen Okoye double-teamed often. I've seen him stoned by a single blocker often. At this point, I'm more interested in replacing Okoye than finding someone to play next to him.
Old 02-26-2010   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I haven't seen Okoye double-teamed often. I've seen him stoned by a single blocker often. At this point, I'm more interested in replacing Okoye than finding someone to play next to him.
We're in the same boat. I hated the pick when we made it and I still do.

Leading up to the draft I had posted that Okoye was a third round prospect who would be taken by some sucker in the first round because he was only 19 years old. Turned out that sucker was us.
Old 02-26-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Stopping the run with out DTs wasn't the issue last year, rushing the passer was. Price has a worlds more strength than Okoye, just wash his tape. He's chucking guards the same size as him.
Old 02-26-2010   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I have not watched a great deal of film on him, but so far he looks like and what I've heard sounds a lot like what I saw and heard about Okoye. I don't think another 3 technique dt is what we need. I think we need a two gap run stuffer that clogs the middle and frees up others to shoot the gaps.
Yes. color me unimpressed with Price. My guess is if they were going to do this take a DT round one.....It would be Jared Ordick, not price.
Old 02-26-2010   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A real life Todd McShay!!!

Seriously though, Williams was a beast at the Senior Bowl and there are many reasons to like him as a possible target for the Texans in Round 1. However, him being "bigger" than Price is not one of them.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Price a lot. He is very explosive off the line and has great short area quicks. He doesn't have the speed and range like Okoye does in pursuit, but in those first 2-3 steps he is a big time difference maker.

Price is the type of guy who disrupts the offense even when he doesn't make the play. He can push a guard into the backfield, or into the running lane to redirect the back, which I'm sure Cush and DeMeco will love.

I think he's a good fit for what the defense wants to do.

Obviously there are knocks on every player and Price is no exception. He lunges too much, and has short arms. He often just decides he's going to beat his man and get into the backfield, whether the ball is there or not. That will often put him on the wrong side of a play or even open a big running lane in the defense. That may turn Bush off with his "do your job and trust the guy next to you to do his" mentality.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BTW, why haven't we seen the Texans try some d-line stunts, is that not part of our scheme?
We use stunts. Quite a bit.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read