Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2010   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kevin Walter??

Soo, I guess we're going to let him test the FA waters? With all the rumblings on Dunta, I haven't heard anything about K-dub. I like him and hopefully he'll allow us to match whatever he's offered.

Are we satisfied with JJ's progress enough to let him walk? Will we grab a Shipley type WR mid to late rounds of the draft?

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2010   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kevin Walter??

Wouldn't at all be surprised to have an announcement come out before March 5th. But for reference here is the WR FA market:

Terrell Owens 36
Antonio Bryant 29
Derrick Mason 36
Kevin Walter 29

According to Football's Future.
Old 02-24-2010   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Soo, I guess we're going to let him test the FA waters? With all the rumblings on Dunta, I haven't heard anything about K-dub. I like him and hopefully he'll allow us to match whatever he's offered.

Are we satisfied with JJ's progress enough to let him walk? Will we grab a Shipley type WR mid to late rounds of the draft?

Thoughts?
I thougt it was Kevin Walters?

Old 02-24-2010   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wouldn't at all be surprised to have an announcement come out before March 5th. But for reference here is the WR FA market:

Terrell Owens 36
Antonio Bryant 29
Derrick Mason 36
Kevin Walter 29

Isn't tomorrow the last day to tag a player? I'm not saying we should or shouldn't tag him, it's just my thinking that if he isn't tagged or given a new deal he's destined for FA. I suppose there's a chance we could re-sign him in a weeks time, but I would assuume a deal would've been done by now if that was the direction we wanted to go?
Old 02-24-2010   #5
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Terrell Owens 36
Antonio Bryant 29
Derrick Mason 36
Kevin Walter 29

Antonio Bryant would be scary on this team, but he's too me-first to play second fiddle. Walter is still the best fit and best value for us at that position, so we'll probably lock him up.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #6
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe ditching Dunta is a way to help keep Kevin here????
Old 02-24-2010   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm certain that money will be used to resign players but I don't expect anything like that this year. McNair is a pretty savvy businessman and I think there are many teams sitting this one out until they know what's going to happen in 2011. Normally you would be hearing about all the new deals players are getting at this time of year but if you've noticed, it's not happening this year.

I think everyone is on board with them resigning all these guys but I expect everything to just sit until the CBA is worked out.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-24-2010   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I'm certain that money will be used to resign players but I don't expect anything like that this year. McNair is a pretty savvy businessman and I think there are many teams sitting this one out until they know what's going to happen in 2011. Normally you would be hearing about all the new deals players are getting at this time of year but if you've noticed, it's not happening this year.

I think everyone is on board with them resigning all these guys but I expect everything to just sit until the CBA is worked out.
That's not really what I've heard. I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that players that have, or will, sign new deals that go through 2011 will just have it temporarily suspended. In other words, if no deal has been made by the end of the 2010 NFL season (early March?), then players who are under contract will have their contracts put on hold until the new deal is struck. They would resume as if nothing happened once a new CBA is in place

I'll try to find a link, but I've yet to remember where I'd heard/read it from.
Old 02-24-2010   #9
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Antonio Bryant would be scary on this team, but he's too me-first to play second fiddle. Walter is still the best fit and best value for us at that position, so we'll probably lock him up.
Never really thought about that. Man, Bryant and Dre on the outside... That would be killer.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #10
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

We better not lose him.
I'll have to change my signature line.
Old 02-24-2010   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
That's not really what I've heard. I might be wrong, but it's my understanding that players that have, or will, sign new deals that go through 2011 will just have it temporarily suspended. In other words, if no deal has been made by the end of the 2010 NFL season (early March?), then players who are under contract will have their contracts put on hold until the new deal is struck. They would resume as if nothing happened once a new CBA is in place

I'll try to find a link, but I've yet to remember where I'd heard/read it from.
That's correct from what I have seen. No 2011 season then it doesn't count against the contract term. Now of course the player gets older and may not have the same dedication but a 5 year deal is supposed to be a 5 years playing deal.
Old 02-25-2010   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody got a link? I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything like that.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Anybody got a link? I'm surprised that I haven't heard anything like that.
I tried to find a link for a few minutes. I'll see if I can find one some time throughout the day. At least I'm educating myself on the CBA (or lack thereof) by having to read through all the articles.
Old 02-25-2010   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith is too busy looking for a 3rd string QB to throw $10 million bucks at to worry about resigning our own players.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #15
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually wrote a paper on the CBA last semester..Was good stuff.

I'm more worried as to what the year off would do to some of our more..ah..not motivated players
Old 02-25-2010   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Rick Smith is too busy looking for a 3rd string QB to throw $10 million bucks at to worry about resigning our own players.
Lol QFT!

Seriously resign the man. He is a solid WR and can fill the #2 while Jones keeps the competition up.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Terrell Owens 36
Antonio Bryant 29
Derrick Mason 36
Kevin Walter 29

Yep I've got myself braced for this. Walter is a front line , clutch receiving, good blocking, great hands #2 wide receiver. Maybe one of the best in the league. I was really surprised the Giants didn't trade for him last year before the draft. I thought after the ricochet off the hands interception last year...(Miami game?) that Gary Kubiak threw Jacoby Jones in to the middle of the pound and said to him OK J.J. swim or drown. His targets went way up. Every time he screwed up they kept going back to Jacoby. What I read was at that moment in time, either Jacoby was going to make it or he was going to be gone. So if J.J. is not exposed now....somebody has gotta go.

What I'm hoping is that the loss of Daunta will free up enough money to make several of the other players happy with a due bump up.
Old 02-26-2010   #18
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Texans don't sound optimistic about retaining Walter

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 26, 2010 1:47 PM ET
Texans G.M. Rick Smith said he spoke with wide receiver Kevin Walter's agent Thursday night, but he didn't sound overly optimistic about retaining him.

"Kevin is a big part of our team. We would like to have Kevin back. We have articulated that to him as recently as last night," Smith said.

We asked about Walter because he's one of the better young (29) starters about to hit free agency. He provides an alternative to teams that don't want Terrell Owens or Antonio Bryant.

"We're trying to see if we can retain him, but the unfortunate part of free agency is you can't keep everybody," Smith said. "When you talk about putting your team together, you have to make tough decisions, and sometimes you have to let players go you otherwise wouldn't want to."

Our G.M. Translator says: "The guy is a week away from free agency. We like him, but not enough. It's going to be almost impossible to keep him at a reasonable price and we have Jacoby Jones behind him ready to become a starter."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...lter/#comments

Time to get consistent Jacoby.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #19
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I like walters alot and he's a good redzone threat, but jones has explosion. Jones has they type of explosion to take the top off the defense and give dre more room. He does need refinement, but getting a guy like Parrish to handle special teams stuff and allowing jones to just focus on wr would benefit the team more. Anderson is the slot guy and with daniels coming back, the middle of the field stuff should be ok. If they don't feel jones is ready, they should get a guy like bryant opposite of dre.
Old 02-26-2010   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate to lose KW, but he was under-utilized last year. He saw little action until OD went down. Only one ball for so many receivers.

I'm not sold on JJ...think he's got big play potential, but he's too loose with the ball and seems to be running before he secures the catch...but at least we've got him if KW ends up on another team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read