Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2005   #121
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

What is our window of opportunity for Sharper anyway? how long do we have to move him or restructure his contract?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #122
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

apologize for not having identified this source, but i'm workin on it, it was posted on www.thecollegegridiron.com/forums (a board I am an admin for) by a guy who usually doesn't make up stuff like this.

Quote:
Sources said Thursday night that linebacker Jamie Sharper has been given permission to seek a trade, a move that would clear space at an overstocked position and rid the Texans of Sharper's $6.13 million salary-cap hit for 2005, the final year of Sharper's five-year contract the Texans acquired from Baltimore in the 2002 expansion draft.
Old 03-04-2005   #123
BradK10
Hall of Fame

and i'm quite possibly retarded, that came from the Moronicle, and was probably already posted today.
Old 03-04-2005   #124
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are the Texans trying to save $6 mil by getting rid of Sharper? I don't think they're in serious cap trouble. Are they? Also, what will they do with the 6 mil? If they want a high quality player, it might cost them the same 6 mil. They could use it to sign 2-3 players for depth, but they wouldn't get much talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
One way to check your market value when you refuse to restructure your agreement in the last year is to contact other teams to see if you are truly worth what you are asking for.
I really hope this is the case.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #125
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Just a hunch, but when a report says a player has been given permission to seek a trade, that usually means that the players WANTS to be traded. Sharper wasn't shy about voicing displease over coaching decisions last year, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out. I don't really disagree with that guy.
Old 03-05-2005   #126
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
"Somebody has to show us the way. There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but who's going to direct us there? We need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games."
Leaders don't look to others (even their coaches) for leadership, they step up and lead. In fact, they take responsibility for the team instead of the coaches.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #127
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Leaders don't look to others (even their coaches) for leadership, they step up and lead. In fact, they take responsibility for the team instead of the coaches.
Agreed
and didn't Gfunk say something along the same lines at one point of the season also?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2005   #128
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
Agreed
and didn't Gfunk say something along the same lines at one point of the season also?
He sure did.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #129
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about trading Jamie Sharper plus our 1st round pick (#13), for Cleveland's 1st round pick (#3)?

Then we could draft Derrick Johnson, and we would be all set at the middle linebacker spots for years to come.

MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #130
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am thinking the thing is a negotiating ploy.. IMO. Sharpers agent playing hardball... and the Texans aren't blinking and they are playing hardball..

If not and strickly a salary move .. I personally would rather keep Sharper than Payne .... but I am thinking that Sharper's agent is comanding too big of bucks so the Texans are doing what they have too..
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #131
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan
What about trading Jamie Sharper plus our 1st round pick (#13), for Cleveland's 1st round pick (#3)?

Then we could draft Derrick Johnson, and we would be all set at the middle linebacker spots for years to come.

The Browns have new coaches. Their not stupid anymore. They are not trading for a 30 year old in the last year of his contract who wants a big extention and lose 10 spots in a draft that really doesnt have that many big names at the top. That trade will never happen.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #132
Dunta_23
All Pro

Default ....

A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns....I think it would be a good move for the future, probably wouldnt pay this year but in the next season or 2 it would be worth it...
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #133
pskinny
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns....I think it would be a good move for the future, probably wouldnt pay this year but in the next season or 2 it would be worth it...

You're right, most of their fans think it's a steal. Let's get it done.
pskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #134
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
A lot of ppl on the Browns Message board seem to think that Sharper + 13th pick for the # 3 over all and a later pick anywhere from round 4-7 would be a good deal for the browns...
That's why Randy Lerner hired Phil Savage as GM rather than a guy off the Browns' BB. That deal would assume Sharper has the value of a 1st round pick. He doesn't.
Old 03-05-2005   #135
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Savage used to be the Ratbirds Director of Player Personnel and I think he was there when they put Sharper on the expansion list. He may not like Sharper, or perhaps he just didn't like his contract. They are switching to a 3-4 this year but I do agree with the Luckster though. That deal doesn't strike me as one that they would do. If Sharper was an edge player I'd think it would be a viable scenario.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #136
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

actually.. that isnt assuming that he has the value of a 1st round pick.. they are offering us the #3 pick(and a second day pick).. for Sharper, and our #13.

so really.. they are saying sharper is worth ten spots in the draft.. plus a second day pick. that is tempting.. but id be wary of it. if we want DJ, he could be gone at #2. id like to get a first rounder and keep our first rounder.. so that we can trade up if we want to, or if DJ just doesnt fall far enough for us to do that, we still have 2 first round picks to work with.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #137
AndreJ
All Pro

Default Just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker55
I think the Texans can improve themselves more by moving Wong inside and use a pick to bring more youth/depth onto the team.
Lets say we did move Wong back inside and have him along with greenwood for the ILB's. If we were to get the 3rd overall pick which i think is what some are speculating. And we drafted DJ would he split time with Peek and Babin or would we leave Wong on the outside (With Peek and Babin rotating) and have DJ and Greenwood on the inside?

Just curious as to how our LB positions would look if we traded Sharper and picked up DJ.

Hence:
Peek-Greenwood-Wong-Babin (w/ DJ rotating in with Bab & Peek)

or

Wong-Greenwood-DJ-Babin (w/ Peek rotating in like he did last year.)
Old 03-05-2005   #138
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Lets say we did move Wong back inside and have him along with greenwood for the ILB's. If we were to get the 3rd overall pick which i think is what some are speculating. And we drafted DJ would he split time with Peek and Babin or would we leave Wong on the outside (With Peek and Babin rotating) and have DJ and Greenwood on the inside?

Just curious as to how our LB positions would look if we traded Sharper and picked up DJ.

Hence:
Peek-Greenwood-Wong-Babin (w/ DJ rotating in with Bab & Peek)

or

Wong-Greenwood-DJ-Babin (w/ Peek rotating in like he did last year.)
I think DJ would rotate in at the MLB positions, because people believe he is a better coverage guy than a blitzer. Wong would still be on the inside though, but DJ is younger with more potential so he would likely be Wong's replacement latter down the road.
Old 03-05-2005   #139
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

DJ is too small to be an olb in our system. He would have to play inside.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #140
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny DJ weighed 242 is that to small. I think you can move him around . He seems to be a smart player .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read