Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jamie Sharper on the Trading Block

texasguy346

Mod Squad
Anyone else watching Fox 26 Sports? Berman mentioned that the Texans gave Jamie Sharper permission to seek a trade. OMG Say it ain't so!

texasguy346 said:
Anyone else watching Fox 26 Sports? Berman mentioned that the Texans gave Jamie Sharper permission to seek a trade. OMG Say it ain't so!

If it is, you can guarantee we'll be getting something real nice in return.

Fox 26 just reported that after the Texans signed Greenwood, they told Sharper and Foreman they could go ahead and seek trades...

I think Greenwood will be a decent ILB, definitely better than Foreman, but nowhere near Sharper's level...

Discuss...

To Foreman adios, but why Sharper???????????????? Are they trying to make cap room or go at the ILB spot from scratch? Maybe go after DJ in the draft?

There has to be someone out there they have their eyes on. Whether that be someone yet to be drafted or a free agent.

I hope this is just posturing by the Texans so that they can restructure Sharpers deal. I'm fine with Foreman getting the heave-ho, but not Sharper.

There is not much we would get in return that would make me happy about involving Sharper in a trade. A first round pick or Ray Lewis are about all that wouldnt make me unhappy with the Texans for the first time in there existence.

well, I can definately say I'm not happy nor amused by this report...the only good that would come out of it is a first round pick...remember that sharper is in the final year of his contract and if it were to happen, it might not hurt

wow is that true D-Rek? very interesting......what a day in Houston Texans Football. there is no offseason in the NFL :cool:

Reddevil63 said:
There has to be someone out there they have their eyes on. Whether that be someone yet to be drafted or a free agent.

Bell, Hartwell, or Crowder are the only viable options I can come up with...

If we do trade him and get anything less than a high 2nd rounder, we got jipped...

If Sharper AND Foreman are GONE .... i would assume the Texans have someone in mind to replace that depth .
Foreman i dont think is anything more than a back up type player at best .
Sharper on the other hand has been the heart of the D since their first game .
Has Pro-Bowl type talent . Removing that from the defence makes a strength a glaring weakness unless you replace talent with talent .
Only one player comes to mind via draft or free-agent and thats DJ. If this report is true i expect the Texans to trade up . The other free agents at the position are either old or will want too much cash .
This report could be false but who knows ?

If the Cowboys are switching to the 3-4, they could maybe use Sharper but I can't think of anything the Cowboys have that we would want besides picks off the top of my head...

Sharper? I don't see how we could do that without trading up for DJ ... but then again, maybe that's part of the trade condition.

I really don't want to see Sharper go. There's not much we could get in return for him that would leave me feeling we got a good deal. He's the heart and soul of our defense.

As I noted in the other thread, the only way I can see the Texans letting Sharper go would be if they could guarantee landing a DJ.

How could anyone guarantee us DJ? We would have to get the number 1 pick in the draft to be guaranteed DJ.

:woot Sharpers in the last year of his contract . The Texans are not Super Bowl contenders so their not playing for 1 year . If they got a good deal why not trade him before he becomes a free agent .

Sharper and the Texans are both optimistic that they can rework his contract but if not then they will trade him (thats what Berman said), but don't expect a trade with Sharper involved.

Forman is gone, but Sharper will rework his contract.

:woot Sentimental value is worth zero dollars . His best days may be behind him . So we overpay next year to keep him a Texan or get a 2nd rd pick this year .

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:woot Sharpers in the last year of his contract . The Texans are not Super Bowl contenders so their not playing for 1 year . If they got a good deal why not trade him before he becomes a free agent .

I like the idea, i believe we could get something very good out of this. What i don't know, but we obviously have something big in store for us and we are long over do for it.

Anyone remember during the season when Sharper spoke out against the team. . . Stating "Something" needed to change. Anyone think he might be fed up with the Texans style and wants to move on while he feels he still has the chance of being successful?

Behind the scenes what this may mean is the Texans are contrary to their m.o. already working on an extension for Sharper and have made him an offer he is not ready to sign. Rather than let him hit FA next year they have let him see what his value is this year in the hopes that it encourages a deal getting done rather than actually expecting a trade. Could be a good cap move to get Sharper's last NFL contract prorating now rather than a year down the road.

I think this is a win-win situation for us.

what could happen:

Sharper stays and reworks his contract.. giving us more cap room and getting him signed up and ready to retire here in houston.

Sharper gets traded for a player or two that we could really use.. like Olinemen or Dlinemen. We grab another ILB in the draft.. Thurman in the Second.. or Davis in the first and convert him to ILB.

Sharper gets traded for a first rounder and we trade up to grab Derrick Johnson

Sharper gets no offer.. we do not rework the contract.. and nothing changes. But as Infantry says.. he gets an idea of what he can get when he becomes an FA and it makes negotiations easier down the road.

smart move by Casserly.

:thumbdown

our old, expensive ILB and our young promising tackle for an old expensive tackle.

no thank you.

Bottle-O-Bud said:
Sharper's contract will be a big hit for us next year. That LB crew has underachieved greatly last year. Instead of patching it, we might be cleaning house since there seems to be oodles of tweeners in the draft.
Interesting thought. Drafting two linebackers early. Haven't considered it but in lieu of this news I'm gonna put my Einstein Jr thinking cap on. This may be the mock I spew out soon. Ought to draw out tons of objections across the board. You my man, iz brilliant.

Vinny how can you justify that you think Walker might have had only a down year and think he will bounce back and yet you think Sharper is declining when he has his down year? Sharpers play wasn't spectacular last year but it was far from bad. Our course a veteran like Sharper is going to have a big salary in his last year, not too many veterans don't. They just resign and stretch out the rest of the contract. He's 1 season removed from a great year and then all of the sudden he's trash. I don't get that.

Oh be careful what you wish for.

Thomas Davis and Odell Thurman. That would be interesting.. not as interesting as getting DJ though :).

SESupergenius said:
Vinny how can you justify that you think Walker might have had only a down year and think he will bounce back and yet you think Sharper is declining when he has his down year? Sharpers play wasn't spectacular last year but it was far from bad. Our course a veteran like Sharper is going to have a big salary in his last year, not too many veterans don't. They just resign and stretch out the rest of the contract. He's 1 season removed from a great year and then all of the sudden he's trash. I don't get that.

Oh be careful what you wish for.
I'm not wishing for anything. Just idle speculation. Why do I think Walker will bounce back? Because talented two-gap tackles have pretty long careers and are effective deep into them. I think Walker has an ideal football temperament and is going to work hard and play with some pride next year. Apparently the entire Texan fan nation has written him completely off as a viable player. Count me out on that one. Sharper plays a position that has a different dynamic, and I thought he looked like a player that could be in decline. This is not the first time I have mentioned this. Not anything worth arguing over since its just some random, idle speculation. Take it fwiw only.

ps I never said Sharper "all of a sudden was trash". that was you stating that I implied it. I clearly state that I think he is still a good LB.

My advice to the Texans...trade them somewhere where they can't kill us but once every 4 years.

I agree with Vinny tho...Sharper wasn't as good as I seen him in 02/03. That being said, Sharper is somewhat the leader on defense, but we may be able to get some good for Sharper....but this may be something to make J-Sharp fix his current deal. :thumbup

Bottle-O-Bud said:
you lost me :wacko:

I just dont get where I said that we need to draft 2 LBs. I dont even know that I mentioned the draft at all..... this escapes me Vin, mind explaining?
You said "there seems to be oodles of tweeners in the draft".

I said, Interesting thought. Drafting two linebackers early. <That was my thought, that wasn't me doing an impression of you. ;) I was in agreement that there are "oodles of tweeners", so that made me think of an interesting posibility...drafting two linebackers early.

I am kinda split down the middle on this. I'd love to see Sharper back because I dont think he skills have dimished like some say...but on the other picking up Johnson, an extreme talent, is making me want the season to start NOW!

The only positive thing about seeing Sharper gone is:
ESPN.com also confirms that the Texans notified Kailee Wong before the signing that he would also be moved to inside linebacker, possibly freeing up the right outside linebacker position for Antwan Peek.

I agree with Grid. I cannot see us losing Shaper without trying to get Johnson.

Also I may be alone on this...but I think if we give Carr enogh time in the pocket ( O-line upgrade) he could still utilize Gaffney.

if we trade Sharper.. id like to see us pick up an Oline upgrade, a Dline upgrade, or a 1st round pick.

any of those three would be worthwhile in my book.

and when i say upgrade.. im talking about a talented YOUNG player that fits us and will be a starter for years.

I feel bad talking about what we can get for Sharper :(.. I love the guy.. but lets face it he is a big cap hit, and if he doesnt restructure, we are better off getting what we can for him now so that we have a better shot at replacing his talent down the road.

I am very optimistic about Greenwood and I could see him and DJ side by side for years to come...WHAT A TANDEM!

It will take some getting used, though, to see that Sharper isnt leading our defense. He has helped so much and when we are in the playoffs this year it just will not seem right without him.

Back