Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2005   #61
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBblitz
why dont we sign the dancing banana? lol
Possible Defensive lineup:

Dancing Bannana / Wong / Greenwood / Babin (Peek)

...I like it...
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #62
Rosusu
All Pro

Dancing banana reminds me too much of Matt Stevens, I dont want him.
Old 03-04-2005   #63
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

From the Chronicle:
Quote:
Sources said Thursday night that linebacker Jamie Sharper has been given permission to seek a trade, a move that would clear space at an overstocked position and rid the Texans of Sharper's $6.13 million salary-cap hit for 2005, the final year of Sharper's five-year contract the Texans acquired from Baltimore in the 2002 expansion draft.

Texans coach Dom Capers said Greenwood, who signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with a $7 million signing bonus, would play one of the two inside linebacker positions, but Capers had not decided if it would be on the strong side, where Jay Foreman has played the past three seasons, or the weak side, which has been occupied by Sharper.

There also has been speculation about a possible move inside for outside linebacker Kailee Wong, raising questions about the status of Foreman, who could be aimed toward the same path as Sharper.

But the Texans denied an Internet report that Wong has been told he'll be moved inside next season. Wong also said the report was inaccurate.

This much is certain: The Texans didn't give Greenwood, 26, a $7 million signing bonus to be a reserve, and he will start at one of the two inside positions.

"It gives us a lot more possibilities," Capers said of adding Greenwood, 6-0 and 238 pounds. "Every year we've been here, we've had more variations, more possibilities. Morlon's speed and athletic ability may give us a chance to do some things we couldn't do last year. Any time you have speed and quickness, you upgrade your chances to make plays on defense."

The Texans, who announced the re-signing of nose tackle Seth Payne on Thursday, have placed an emphasis on adding speed to their defense over the past two offseasons, acquiring players such as Antwan Peek, Dunta Robinson and Jason Babin. Speed and cover ability are said to be among Greenwood's biggest strengths. As for which position he plays, Greenwood said it didn't matter.
Full Story Link

Bold letters: *cough* ESPN *cough*
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #64
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
Dancing banana reminds me too much of Matt Stevens, I dont want him.
How can that be?? The Dancing Bannana Doesn't have all those cool tattoos!! (sarcasm)
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #65
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

all i'm going to say is this...if we trade foreman no big deal...if we trade sharper, a corner stone in this defense since we began, i will be pissed...i've tried to give capers and casserly every chance to prove that they know what they are doing but trading your best defensive player isn't it...i don't care if sharper made comments to the media that pissed capers off because towards the end of the season we were losing games we should have won due to his conservative play calling...greenwood starting in place of foreman great...put him next to wong and move sharper to the outside if it makes that much of a difference...either way sharper is our best defensive player maybe our best player period...i can't see us trading him...and if we do not just a 1st round pick will do it needs to be a top 10 pick in my mind with what he means to this team and this community
Old 03-04-2005   #66
LBblitz
Veteran

did anybody get the dancing banana's results from the combine? just curious...it might be all hipe.lol
LBblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #67
MikeMc
All Pro

Polk has been getting some love as the next ILB on the Texans, so maybe the angle is there. Have Polk & Greenwood at ILB, draft an ILB for the future.....save tons of $$$ by trading Sharper.

Plus, that "we need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games" crack may have been his ticket out. Nothing like challenging the Coach's ability to the press!!

Nip it in the bud!
Old 03-04-2005   #68
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I second that keyfro.

I don't know what's going on here. I personally wanted to see Foreman gone, and Wong move to the inside with Babin/Peek on the outside, Sharper staying inside. Now it seems like we are in some type of cluster here. I don't know what the Texans are planning...but I don't like it if involves getting rid of Sharper.
Jamie is a leader, and has been from day 1. He won a superbowl along side Ray Lewis and the stout Ravens defense. He knows the game...and if we lose him, I'm gonna be completely baffled.
BTW, I find all this stuff odd considering I sent my check to the Texans today for season tickets. They immediatley blew my payment.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #69
MikeMc
All Pro

Let's keep Sharper's heavy contract much like we did Hakeem's, Biggio's & Bagwell's simply for "hometown" love.

Come on, this is a business, if you can get two for the price of one....you do it! Trade Sharper's talent and experience for two "younger" players that can help the team in the future.

I'm just suprised that the Texans resigned Payne. He better have one hell of a season...injury-free!!!!
Old 03-04-2005   #70
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know even in business there has to be some loyality...how does this sound to the rest of the nfl if we are trading our best defensive player...a player that is respected around the league...his comments against capers were that of a competitive nature...not personal...now if he isn't wanting to re-sign his contract because he doesn't believe the team is going in the right direction that's one thing...but i still want him here...he's a leader...he is one of the few recognizable players on this team...and he's a fan favorite...i don't like the way this is going...on the otherside if you read the article from profootballweekley it simply stats that greenwood is displacing foreman and the lineup will look line wong greenwood sharper babin which i think would be awesome...but if sharper is traded it'll make me wonder about this team and where it's headed
Old 03-04-2005   #71
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The comments are speculation on the part of internet observers. I wouldn't read too much into them. Players with massive contracts that don't play up to them get moved all the time in the NFL. Why should Sharper be an exception?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #72
MikeMc
All Pro

Well, what about the Randy Moss trade? You can't honestly say it is because he is a punk. TO is much worse than Moss, hell that "mooning" incident was WAY overblown....no one got the whole "poking fun at GB" part of it. It's not like he actually mooned people. More of a "respect" for those die-hard fans in GB:

The story goes like this, after a GB home victory, the fans around the visitors bus moon the opposing players.

back on topic....

Teams, more specifically GMs that take "loyalty" into consideration with making business decisions end up FIRED! No one should be so naive to think that just because a player has played and done a good job, he should be given the Golden Ticket. Look at how that backfire with the Rockets & Hakeem....or how it is backfiring with Biggio & Bagwell and the Astros. You end up with over-priced players past their prime.

Sharper has been with the team since inception...3 seasons...it is time to move on with new blood (via a sweet deal!).

Hell, Sharper played 5 seasons in Balt and only 3 in HOU, I think there is more loyalty for him in Balt than in HOU. Maybe he will go back to Balt.....they seem to need another LB with Hartwell leaving via FA!
Old 03-04-2005   #73
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

Obviously our linebacker corps wasn't producing like Capers wanted it too, even with Sharper in there we were not getting pressure or stoping the run. the 3-4 Defense is paramount to having talented linebackers.

Although Sharper is our most talented linebacker at the moment, we need to maybe make a change. The question now is what can we get for Sharper. I think the best we could do is maybe a second round pick from a team like the Chiefs who desperately need defensive players. But more likely it will be a 3rd round pick or so. In doing this our most heralded linebacker will be Greenwood and Babin. Lets hope Babin and Peek can step it up.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #74
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

oh great and i just got my sharper jersey this christmas
Old 03-04-2005   #75
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This mornings Chronicle has much about our LBs

Texans confirm they told Sharper to shop himself, but deny Wong moving inside.
On Greenwood, he says they " They told me more about myself than I even knew." They obviously intend for him to start at one of the inside positions.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3067907
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #76
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody herre seems to love teh PAt's as teh model of how a front office should operate, right? How do you think Pats fans are feeling after they cut Troy Brown? Probaly the teams MVP, and a fan favorite?

Older players with big contracts get cut, re0worked ot trade all the time. Untill we hav e adefinitive report on a trade or something we're all just blowing smoke up each others you know whats.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #77
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

nevermind ........

Last edited by JDizzle; 03-04-2005 at 09:01 AM.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #78
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
or they may have both had personalities that dont fit our team. *shrug*.. Greenwood was obviously the guy that fit us best, otherwise we wouldnt have offered him such a good contract.
I'm not so sure it was his personality. It might have been more of a who's the best value type of scenario. BTW I found this website for Morlon Greenwood after one of the local sports reports mentioned that Morlon Greenwood made a rap/reggae type of song while he was in Miami.

Morlon Greenwood

James Allen anyone? j/k It definately doesn't seem that Greenwood is a low-profile type of guy, but from all accounts he's a quick learner and a team player. I just hope that we don't lose Sharper. I'd much rather see Greenwood and Sharper inside together.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #79
JDizzle
I'm a dude

Rep Power: 7477 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Calm down guys! I wouldn't take that report too seriously, wait until after the draft.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #80
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if Sharper has entered the downside of his career, he's still good. But
apparently the management doesn't think he's 6 mil (his cap # for '05 alone) good.
After you wade thru all the numbers for Greenwood, as was pointed out
most his compensation is deferred/back-end-loaded and his bonus money is all that's really vested. I had reservations, but it's beginning to sound like a descent move. The guys forte is speed, and that was what was missing most
from our LB play last year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read