Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2005   #361
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

This was posted on KFFL today. So it isn't impossible to trade Sharper and move up and take Derrick Johnson or to at least get a 3rd rounder for Jamie.

Vikings | Made Two Offers for Jaguars' Darius - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:45:28 -0800

Bart Hubbuch, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Minnesota Vikings gave two trade proposals to the Jacksonville Jaguars regarding Jaguars SS Donovin Darius. Both trade offers were turned down by the Jaguars. According to the report, the Vikings first offered the Jaguars their No. 7 overall pick for the Jaguars No. 21 pick and Darius. The team's second offer was reportedly a third-round pick for Darius.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #362
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

If you haven't read Ajs 'Voice of the Fan' on the main page .. it's a great read.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ne...php?PRKey=1585

Losing the most popular player in the team's short history will be felt.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #363
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up

Thanks Sassy. That was a very good read.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #364
TexansNFL
Rookie

Default Thanks Jamie Sharper!!

Sharper is the Texans player that I admire the most. He is a leader on and off the field and he will be missed. Leaders say and do what is needed even though it is not politically correct. Leaders stand up and fight when necessary.

The real reason that Sharper was told to seek a trade is because he said “somebody has to show us the way” and “we need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games.” I said amen to that. I respect Sharper for having the guts to tell it like it is, and I am sure that some of the young players on the team also respect him for that.

The Texans are a team in turmoil after only 3 years of starting play!! CC said that he came to Houston to build a team...I wonder how getting rid of the best defensive player on the team, who is still young, is accomplishing that?? What kind of message it sends to other veteran players? Shut up or be traded? How is that building a team? Who is next? Wong said after the last game of the season that the "coudn't understand why Texans got away from what was working" does that mean he is next?
TexansNFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #365
Caw Daddy
Rookie

Default Bounce That Fool Up Out Of Here

hes old, just like pace. i think we trade him for some youngins and maybe some picks.
Caw Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005   #366
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

send sharper to the Rams for pace, we prolly have to throw in project LT wand and a 3rd rounder but its worth it.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #367
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn
Default #55

I think losing Sharper will be a big blow to our defense, 139 tackles,...6th in the league,...I hope they can work it our because our D was really starting to click.
HardCoreTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-15-2005   #368
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNFL
Sharper is the Texans player that I admire the most. He is a leader on and off the field and he will be missed. Leaders say and do what is needed even though it is not politically correct. Leaders stand up and fight when necessary.

The real reason that Sharper was told to seek a trade is because he said “somebody has to show us the way” and “we need somebody to direct us to wins instead of close games.” I said amen to that. I respect Sharper for having the guts to tell it like it is, and I am sure that some of the young players on the team also respect him for that.

The Texans are a team in turmoil after only 3 years of starting play!! CC said that he came to Houston to build a team...I wonder how getting rid of the best defensive player on the team, who is still young, is accomplishing that?? What kind of message it sends to other veteran players? Shut up or be traded? How is that building a team? Who is next? Wong said after the last game of the season that the "coudn't understand why Texans got away from what was working" does that mean he is next?
You've spoken with Casserly and Capers? What else did they tell you? It could be that the Texans are trying to trade Sharper because he spoke out. It could be they want to trade him because he is overpaid as a LB in a 3-4 defense. It could be they want to trade him because he is turning 30, wants a 5 plus year extension and hasn't shown that he will improve over the next 5 years. It could be they want to trade him because they can get someone that's faster in the middle.

The 3-4 defense forces the ILBs to make tackles. Foreman led the league in tackles for us one year. I guess he's better than Ray Lewis since he made all the tackles. Sharper was a very good LB for the Texans. I liked watching him and I liked the way he played, but he isn't a franchise player. The Ravens wouldn't have let him go if he was. Do you honestly feel he is the best player on the defense? Is it just because you see his jersey everywhere in the stands and he is the most vocal? I think Robinson and Babin have more upside and more overall talent. They play more difficult positions and did very well as rookies.

I fail to see what turmoil the Texans are in. They struggled in the last week of the season against a team with nothing to lose. Teams lose games. There is no difference in 7-9 or 8-8. The Texans didn't lose a spot in the playoffs because of that game. It doesn't affect the outcomes this season. The Texans are looking to dump a few salaries to maintain flexibility and continue to improve the defense. The Patriots released 9 players 2 weeks ago. A few of them guys that started for them. Do you think they are in turmoil? 2 years ago they released their starting safety a week before the season started. Teams get rid of players. If a team wants to win in this league in this day and age they have to be willing to make roster adjustments and make the difficult decisions.
Old 03-15-2005   #369
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNFL

Sharper is far from young?... and just exactly how do you know that his statements are the real reason his is being traded/cut/realesed? You're gonna have to do better than making a few statements that were assumed, give us a link or something.
Old 03-15-2005   #370
LBblitz
Veteran

Initially I thought the idea of trading sharper would be horrible but it makes more sense to me now that an aging LB wanting too much money is not the way to go. He may be a fan favorite but fan favorites do not always mean winning, example:emitt smith in AZ. If we strengthen our D by releasing him by adding more youth I am all for it. Who knows, we may even find a gem in his replacement.
LBblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #371
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

I say try to trade him for a 2nd rounder, and if we sign pace, and give up a 1st rounder, maybe trade later picks for a 1st round like last year
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005   #372
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

sharper for a 2nd rounder? that sure sounds nice but you might have an easier time trying to sell ice to an eskimo.

sources are saying we got played - pace signs a long term contract with the rams so no giving up our 1st.

like last year, we very well might likely trade back into the 1st round
Old 03-15-2005   #373
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Well that sucks. But if we get a good value in return for him it may not suck so bad....
Old 03-17-2005   #374
fresno8
Veteran

If we had made the playoffs last year I'd be more reluctant to trade Sharper. I like this team and I think we can get to the playoffs this year with or w/ out Jaime. It would be nice to get a 2nd for him, but I would be happy with a 3/4 or 3/5 type deal. I think we have enough young veterans who are ready to lead this team so lets trade Sharper, save some cap space and get picks to add more pieces to the puzzle. Babin/Dunta are the face of our D for the future. Glenn Earl is a good young talent too + Peek, Greenwood, etc, see my point here we have some players on D. With the pick we get for Sharper we can find a good D-lineman to help this year and to groom to start in a year or two, or a saftety to replace Coleman in a year or 2, or a db to replace glenn in a couple years. Payne will do fine being a leader for the D and Babin, Peek, Earl, & Dunta have experience now + I like Greenwood and we'll have a couple good rookies. I like Sharper but lets get something for him while we can.
Old 03-17-2005   #375
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well the way i've been looking at the whole sharper issue is this...if we trade or release sharper then we are more likely to start peek who i think we can all agree should be given a chance to start all 16 games...if we don't lose sharper then we keep a cornerstone of our defense but we need to re-sign him to a long term deal...what do i think is gonna happen...i think he'll be part of a draft day trade in order for us to gain another 1st day pick...probably a third rounder
Old 03-17-2005   #376
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

i think the best we can do realisticly is a 3rd or 4th round pick, factoring in his contract age and lack of pro bowl appearances, his price will be driven down.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005   #377
keepsharper05

Default keep sharper

The guy is the best player on our defense. If they do trade him I don't think even a just a first rounder can provide what he does to this team. I am not a big Wong fan, him playing inside isn't as comforting to me than Sharper, a pro bowl caliber player.
Old 03-19-2005   #378
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I have been encouraging the fans of the 2nd best NFL team in Texas to give us that extra #1 as they will only waste it, if they going 3-4 who better to help other players get accustomed to it then our trade bait Jamie Sharper.

On a more personal note last time Texans played in Dallas in preseason. Jamie Sharper was nice enough after game to sign some autographs and talk to a few fans that night
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #379
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn
Default Sharper for Shelton(Cards)?

I think it would be a great deal and it would be a win win situation.
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005   #380
barzilla
Veteran

I think we would have to throw in a draft pick, but Sharper and a third would be a nice deal. Do the Cardinals need a linebacker though?
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read