Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2005   #341
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trade Sharper for James in a heartbeat but it seems unlikely that would happen.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #342
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
He apparently wasn't one of the best defensive players last season,
1 season does not make or break a player. How tough do you think it will be on our defense this year when we will have 3 of our 4 lb's that were not there last year. I am big proponent on cohesion. I understand us having to upgrade our defense, but at 3 positions in our lb group is going to be tough.
Old 03-11-2005   #343
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I will be sick if this happens. The reasons are obvious--they've been thoroughly posted on this thread, and elsewhere I've already repeated my disdain for the Greenwood signing that started this whole mess.

If the Texans didn't see this train wreck coming, I'm scared. And if they DID see it coming, I'm mystified, because I don't understand why this has to happen. Casserly's the expert, not me, so I'll wait to see the outcome after the draft. Signing a no-name free agent to replace a solid, top-notch LB is scary to me. But let's face it--the benefit of the doubt can only be applied to so many busted signings before he starts to lose credibility. Signing a no-name free agent to replace a solid, top-notch LB is scary to me.

Also, what's stuff like this going to do to the Texans' reputation as a place for veterans to want to be? It may indeed be Sharper's PR moves causing all the waves here, but it looks poor.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #344
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans willing to take a 4th round pick for Sharper?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LINK

The Seahawks also are being mentioned as potential landing spots for two more players who are being dangled as trade bait -- New Orleans defensive end Darren Howard, the Saints' franchise player; and Houston linebacker Jamie Sharper.

The Saints and Texans have spoken to the Seahawks about potential deals, with the Saints seeking a first- or second-round draft choice for Howard and the Texans possibly willing to part with Sharper for a fourth-round pick.
Old 03-11-2005   #345
cadahnic
All Pro

If we dont package sharper in a deal to move up in the draft I will be so hurt. I mean he has been the leagues top or top 5 tackler for three years now and he is still relatively young. I know alot of people want DJ who would be awsome but likely not going to happen, but if we could trade for two first rounders or something of that sort and add some serious depth we could be dangerous.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #346
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know exactly what Sharper's value is on the market, but we got a 3rd round pick for Drew Henson and if it is true we are willing to take a 4th round pick for Sharper either something is oging on we do not know about or the Texans want him gone badly...
Old 03-11-2005   #347
uga_iv
Rookie

It's about the $$$$$$$
uga_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2005   #348
texan279
Hall of Fame

If it is about money and the powers that be feel he will make too much this season, they should cut him, personally I don't think his salary is too much if you look at what he has done for us the last 3 seasons, I am starting to feel the people up top want him gone for other reasons.
Old 03-11-2005   #349
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile
Signing a no-name free agent to replace a solid, top-notch LB is scary to me.
If Sharper was so "top-notch" there would be teams knocking down our doors and trying to get him, but guess what they aren't. Don't get me wrong Sharper as been a big part of our team the past 3 years, but the coaches and CC think its time for a change. All we can do is trust them in their thinking until everything plays out at the end of next season, then thats the time to reflect back and see if they made the right decision.
Old 03-11-2005   #350
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If Sharper was so "top-notch" there would be teams knocking down our doors and trying to get him, but guess what they aren't. Don't get me wrong Sharper as been a big part of our team the past 3 years, but the coaches and CC think its time for a change. All we can do is trust them in their thinking until everything plays out at the end of next season, then thats the time to reflect back and see if they made the right decision.
IMO the reason no team has made an offer is A. because of Sharper's cap hit and B. because I have read in a few spots that Sharper will be released soon if he is not traded so teams may be waiting for him to be released so they don't have to give up any picks or players.
Old 03-11-2005   #351
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i always thought Sharper was the one strength that our defense had, i guess i was wrong. Is it me or is our D gonna be missing something when he's gone ???
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #352
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
i always thought Sharper was the one strength that our defense had, i guess i was wrong. Is it me or is our D gonna be missing something when he's gone ???
I'm divided on this.. I like Sharper.. I want him to retire as a Texan, yet he has one year left on his contract and I am assuming (you know what they say about when you assume) that contract extention has stalled and that is what this fuss is about. Well we better get something for him before he leaves us.Only smart thing to do.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #353
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

yeah id hate to see him go as well, but if he does i would like to see us get something for him, i think he is one of the better ILB in the nfl !!!
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005   #354
AndreJ
All Pro

My take on the situation is that we should atleast try and get something with a trade, but im not for realeasing him just to free up some cap space.

Jamie has been wonderful these past 3 years, but he is past his prime and wont get any better. He will either stay the same or his playing ability will decrease as age starts to take a toll on him. I think the texans could use some more youth @ the ILB position which they acheived with Greenwood, but another young backer to go alongside with him would be very nice.

Obviously i would love to see DJ in a Texans uniform and i am all for the trade with the Browns, but i dont know abotut he likelyhood of that. Anywho, I would really like to see Greenwood and another young ILB mature together throughout thier careers and see them tag-team on opposing offenses.
Old 03-12-2005   #355
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

It got really messy when Sharper demanded a release . He took the Texans trading leverage and tossed into Braes Bayou.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #356
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

what about Sharper for Andra Davis on the and maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #357
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default Dallas has two #1's

Everyone knows Dallas is changing to 3-4 because Bill wants 3-4, so why not trade Jamie Sharper to Dallas for one of those early 1st round picks. they get LB who is a consistent player and knows 3-4 and we get an extra pick to get a couple of solid additions like Drob and Babin
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #358
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Everyone knows Dallas is changing to 3-4 because Bill wants 3-4, so why not trade Jamie Sharper to Dallas for one of those early 1st round picks. they get LB who is a consistent player and knows 3-4 and we get an extra pick to get a couple of solid additions like Drob and Babin
Because Sharper is in the final year of his contract, he's almost 31, and he's making $6 million per year... Nobody is going to give us a first round pick in order to take over that situation.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #359
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3474 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Yup. You can't even get T.O. for a first-round pick in the NFL!

It's not gonna happen....MAYBE a 2nd.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005   #360
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224914 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
Because Sharper is in the final year of his contract, he's almost 31, and he's making $6 million per year... Nobody is going to give us a first round pick in order to take over that situation.
People keep acting like Sharper has no trade value because he is in the last year of his contract, but the reverse is true. Trades only get done in the NFL in the last 1-2 years of the contracts because the trading team has to take all the un-prorated signing bonus as a dead money cap hit. The new team just makes the deal conditional on having an acceptable contract extension worked out. For example, Champ Bailey and Clinton Portis both worked on new contracts when traded.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read