Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2005   #281
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
As much as I like him Jaime Sharper is on the decline, aging and overpaid (which he will be next year, with his current contract); and no taking measures to either fix the contract or the position leads to the kind of cap hell that Tennesse, the Niners and soon to be the Colts are in. There are times when it is better to make teh tough choice and cut the palyer and move on, look at how the Steelers and the Pats have re-vamped their LB corps, and as much as we may want him to stay this is that time for Sharper. Also I can't seem to shake teh feeling that either Sharpers comments at the end of the season, or something else, is also factoring into this decision.

This is a decision that sucks form all side; the player, the coach, the GM, the owner and the fans.
I agree Sharper is overpaid but when I look at the Texans roster I see names like Walker, Wong, McKinney, Wiegert, Coleman, Foreman, Glenn, Payne, Brown and I see some big salaries that we aren't always getting a good return on. Sharper is just in the bad position of being in the last year of his contract at a critical time for the Texans $ wise.

Last edited by bckey; 03-10-2005 at 12:23 PM.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #282
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Becasue the Jets front office wouldn't trade away a future Pro-bowler for even our first round pick. Much less an aging over-paid LB, and a fourth round pick.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #283
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I don't see how this is a black eye, and Boselli was already injured so if you consider that a disaster you were expecting way too much. Cap casualties for older players are common.
Just my opinion about Jamie Sharper, and I feel very strong about it. As for Boselli, yes he was injured BUT they had brought him in, expecting him to play at some point. So it was a disaster.
My point was .. totally different story lines .. but equally bad endings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
I think it is the fact that Sharper has been with us from the start and has played his butt off. He hasn't been injured and isn't rehabbing either. He is still a great player. I understand that this move is all about $ but it really has a sour taste to it right now. This reminds me of the Lawyer Milloy move in New England except they brought in a pro bowler to replace him named Rodney Harrison. Greenwood may prove to be that kind of replacement but that is just it, he will have to come in and prove it. Harrison was already proven.
Sour taste ..yes. The bottom line to me is this.. it just is not going down very well right now, being the way it is going down.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #284
Texans32
Rookie

then how about we go out and sign ed hartwell and then either trade sharper on keep him on 'till next year
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #285
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyTexan
Sour taste ..yes. The bottom line to me is this.. it just is not going down very well right now, being the way it is going down.

I agree with you Sassy.

Last edited by bckey; 03-10-2005 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2005   #286
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just my opinion about Jamie Sharper, and I feel very strong about it. As for Boselli, yes he was injured BUT they had brought him in, expecting him to play at some point. So it was a disaster.
My point was .. totally different story lines .. but equally bad endings.

I think the Texans expected him (Boselli) to play, but I would be very shocked if they weren't thinking that it was always a possibility that he couldn't play. It was a gamble that was worth it in my book.

I have trouble deciding where I stand on the Sharper issue. I hear that he is willing to renegotiate and I hear that he refuses to do so. I hear that he wants out of Houston and I hear that he figures he would stay here for his whole career. Teams that hold on to players beyond their usefulness just because they are big name players end up in cap hell. I don't think Sharper is there yet, but in a 3-4 defense there are probably 20 LBs in the league that could do what Sharper does at a much lesser cost.

I would be surprised if he is released outright. If the Texans can't trade him he would still be better on the roster than not, unless they have other plans already or feel that Babin, Peek, Wong, Greenwood would be as good as Babin, Wong, Greenwood, and Sharper. They cost less which would give us the money to find that #2 receiver or an upgrade on the DLine.

Last edited by TexanBacker93; 03-10-2005 at 12:32 PM.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #287
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You call it a disaster, I'll call it taking a chance on a player who was the best at his position when we already knew he may not play. The only think we lost was Bob McNairs money. It's not like it cost us another player.
Quote:
It's going down fine by me. I'm glad we are making a move to revamp the linebackers. They have been over hyped and over-rated from the start here and our defense has been 'bad' the last two years. Our linebacker play was not exceptional in the middle. It was average.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2005   #288
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17175 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84
You know, deep down...you gotta feel for these guys.

Things like this seperate this "game" from a "business".

Good luck to both of them...its gonna be extremely strange not seeing 55 with the dread-locks not on the field.

Another team was faced with a similar decision with a well-loved #55 a couple of years ago. You think Sharper is the face of the defense? How about the Chargers and Seau? That guy was the face of the team for 13 years. It was a tough first year, but it was the right move in the long term and they won a division and got to the playoffs. Granted, it was in the AFC West, but still.
Old 03-10-2005   #289
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

he said he would restructure i say we keep him
Old 03-10-2005   #290
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

From John Clayton:

March 9, 2005
Sharper drawing interest
There seems to be trade interest in Texans inside linebacker Jamie Sharper. The Bengals and Seahawks are among the teams most interested. It will cost a middle round choice -- possibly a fourth -- to get Sharper, who is being replaced by Morlon Greenwood.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #291
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

While I do believe some change in the linebacker corps is necessary, I believe the complete overhaul approach is probably not the best way go about it. We already know that Grenwood will be playing inside next season, his first in the 3-4. If Sharper leaves and Wong moves inside, then we have another player with only limited experience playing inside in the 3-4. If we draft a replacement then there will be even less experience. If Wong does move inside, that means a new player will be playing outside, possibly Peek, who has very little starter and every down experience. That would leave Babin, who was a rookie last year, as the only player to stay put. I personally think so much instability cannot be the best way to address our LB issues. Sorry if that's a little long winded.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #292
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how Sharper saying he would restructure his contract should mean anything. For all we know, he wants even more money and/or a 4-5 year deal...neither of those options is going to be good for the Texans because we must get better at LB. So even if he took a little less money and wanted a long term deal...I don't know if it would be good for the Texans. We know what he can do. I don't think we will see him step his play up another notch from what he has averaged over the last three years, and other than the OLBs making sacks, Sharper is supposed to be the big play LB right? Isn't the mac LB supposed to be the headhunter or something along those lines. He doesn't quite fit that bill to me. It is starting to look like now is the time to move on. Feelings may be hurt but that is a part of life. Our LBs must get better...not stay the same.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #293
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot Sharper for Ricky Williams . Vinny do you remember when the Oilers were phasing out Brazile and Bingham ? People were going crazy because they from the Bum era . Sharper was not as good as Brazile but apparently he's more popular .
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #294
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a big Dr Doom fan. He was LT before LT was LT. I still think he should have more consideration for the Hall of Fame. He was one of the first 240-250 stand up edge rushing linebackers with great speed.

Old 03-10-2005   #295
Htown34s
Veteran

Robert Brazile was my favorite guy on D in the 70's. He definately deserves more attention as one of the best ever!

That being said, I was hoping for at least a 3rd rounder. But if its between a 4th rounder and just cutting him...
Old 03-10-2005   #296
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 150814 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I read where Brazile has the record for stuffs in a season . In 79 he had 41 for losses of 63 yds. He also was a 7 time pro bowler in 10 seasons . John McClain needs to start pumping him up for the Hall of Fame .
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #297
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You call it a disaster, I'll call it taking a chance on a player who was the best at his position when we already knew he may not play. The only think we lost was Bob McNairs money.

It is sad that Boselli kept the money in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2005   #298
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
It is sad that Boselli kept the money in my opinion.
Would you have given it up?

He signed a contract. Also he restructured it to help the team. I honeslty can't seem to get why so many people make Boselli out to be a bad guy in all of this.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #299
Vinny
shiny happy fan

He was going to take it from the Jags. Nobody forced us to take the risk. I have a hard time blaming Tony B. on that one.

Old 03-10-2005   #300
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm glad we are making a move to revamp the linebackers. They have been over hyped and over-rated from the start here and our defense has been 'bad' the last two years. Our linebacker play was not exceptional in the middle. It was average.
How about the outside? Surely you aren't implying that Sharper was the weakest link of the 4 starters.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read