Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2005   #261
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot It did'nt take long for Minnasota to dump Moss . Whats up with that .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #262
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

I bet that phone will be ringing off the wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
.. My gut feeling is the Texans will be at least as good as they were last year on defense .
I would hope that they would be looking to improve, not stay status quo. Maybe there is a "method to the madness" of the coaching staff, but at the moment they are only leaving Jamie Sharper fans MAD!
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #263
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Lets assume for a second that we cannot trade Sharper for whatever reason(s). If we cut him, we get $6 million to spend elsewhere. If we don't cut him, we spend $6 million for a guy that will almost certainly leave after the season anyways.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #264
TexanAggie
Rookie

I was wondering why the
Texans signed the LB from Miami. I thought maybe foreman would hit the dirt but Sharper that is a terrible mistake, he has way too much football in him..

Bye bye Foreman but Jamie WOW talk about a hit in the gut.......

I dont see the Texans getting anybody good for Jamie unless they are trying to change his contract around, damn i sure hope so. Jamie has been a mainstay in the defense since day 1 and has been a overall stud
TexanAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #265
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Lets assume for a second that we cannot trade Sharper for whatever reason(s). If we cut him, we get $6 million to spend elsewhere. If we don't cut him, we spend $6 million for a guy that will almost certainly leave after the season anyways.
You have to deduct the dead money to get the cap space the team saves so the Texans would have about $4.75 extra cap space if they release Sharper. Releasing Foreman gives about $200k in cap space but also clears $2.2 and $3.1 off in later years.
Old 03-10-2005   #266
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

From earlier this morning:

Quote:
Bengals | Interested in Sharper? - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:20:55 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Cincinnati Bengals are interested in possibly trading with the Houston Texans for LB Jamie Sharper, who will likely cost a middle round draft choice.
So is a fourth(hopefully a third) enough for Sharper; and is it probaly safe to say Foreman will just be cut? For me it is, I just don't get why we arn't resturcting Jaime's contract. Did something sever go on behind closed doors, or is this all a PR game.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #267
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
What is the alternative to Payne ? Don't say no gain .
Rocky Bernard? Marques Douglas? About as well known as Greenwood. Actually I believe Pat Williams would have been a good short term alternative until we bring a draft pick in (this year I hope) to fill the spot. He is older but we are taking a big risk with Payne because of his past injury problems. That is most likely what we will do with Payne if he can stay healthy. Have him bring along whatever dl we draft kind of like Glenn did with Dunte last year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2005   #268
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

However this all plays out .. I say in the end, it's the biggest black eye on the Texans since the Boselli disaster.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #269
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot If BJ Symmons came in and showed more than Carr I'd say trade Carr . Carr is the face of the franchise but thats only for today . Sharper is 30 and gets paid alot of money so don't be scared of change .
Old 03-10-2005   #270
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how this is a black eye, and Boselli was already injured so if you consider that a disaster you were expecting way too much. Cap casualties for older players are common.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #271
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems to me the Texans' brain trust is looking for more out of their LBs. I don't think Sharper and Foreman are going to come out of nowhere and get better next year. We can't stay idle. We may hurt a little by the change next year, but I think change has to come...I just hope this is the right time.

I am wondering if organizations who want Sharper may be inclined to offer a higher draft pick if they know he would be released. If they really want him seems their odds of getting him drop a lot if he were released being that he can go where he wants then...just a thought though.
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #272
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

So basically the front 2 runners in trading for Sharper are Seattle and Bengals, which gives the edge to the Bengals since it's his former coach.
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #273
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

:woot Look we can get Greenwood to grow dreadlocks OK . The Texans have not had enough success top get a major black eye . When you start winning you really have to make tough decisions . Your players are gonna want to be paid .
Old 03-10-2005   #274
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I don't see how this is a black eye, and Boselli was already injured so if you consider that a disaster you were expecting way too much. Cap casualties for older players are common.
I think it is the fact that Sharper has been with us from the start and has played his butt off. He hasn't been injured and isn't rehabbing either. He is still a great player. I understand that this move is all about $ but it really has a sour taste to it right now. This reminds me of the Lawyer Milloy move in New England except they brought in a pro bowler to replace him named Rodney Harrison. Greenwood may prove to be that kind of replacement but that is just it, he will have to come in and prove it. Harrison was already proven.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #275
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Would ya'll trade Sharper for Donnie Edwards ?
Old 03-10-2005   #276
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently when the Texans reviewed the game tape they weren't real happy. We have no cap problems and if they don't think Sharper is worth nearly $7 million dollars this is the exact moment to do this. You don't wait till next year and just let him walk. Its my gut feeling that this is going to be some sort of draft day trade. I've posted in the past (speculation) that we would rebuild our linebackers in year 4.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #277
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I like him Jaime Sharper is on the decline, aging and overpaid (which he will be next year, with his current contract); and no taking measures to either fix the contract or the position leads to the kind of cap hell that Tennesse, the Niners and soon to be the Colts are in. There are times when it is better to make teh tough choice and cut the palyer and move on, look at how the Steelers and the Pats have re-vamped their LB corps, and as much as we may want him to stay this is that time for Sharper. Also I can't seem to shake teh feeling that either Sharpers comments at the end of the season, or something else, is also factoring into this decision.

This is a decision that sucks form all side; the player, the coach, the GM, the owner and the fans.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #278
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, this makes sense after I thought a bit about it. He is 30 years old, cost 6 mill, wont be here after the 05 season unless a sever restructure happens and we wouldn't want to sign him for a 4-5 year contract like I am sure he would want. Could he play and be a good contributer this year....of course, but it would be better to move on now, bring in a younger replacement and get them a year in the system. That way your looking at a solid play off run in the 06 season with a young, but experienced LB core. Make sense, just don't like seeing Jamie go, but that's football.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #279
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

"All's fair in love, war and free agency."
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #280
Texans32
Rookie

what about trading him for a younger ILB in stead of a draft pick. that way you get someone who can come in and contribute right off the bat instead of waiting for them to develop. maybe we could trade him and a 4th rounder to the jets for jonathan vilma, the 2nd year linebacker out of miami
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read