Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-10-2005   #241
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know what's really sad about this...if this is about the comments sharper made towards the end of the season i can't help but think that capers and casserly are handling this like a bunch of babies...ya'll are grown men can't ya'll act like it...simply releasing sharper cannot be a possibility...they need to find a trade suitor and atleast get a draft pick...better to get a 4th rounder than nothing at all...i really feel for sharper i honestly think that casserly could of handled this a lot better and i hope this isn't a sign of things to come from him
Old 03-10-2005   #242
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Mushin Muhammed was a Carolina Panther fan favorite and he was released after they were unable to get a trade.

Troy Brown was a New England Patriots fan favorite and he was released without a trade.

Fan favoritism ranks very low on a GM's totem pole when managing a salary cap. The results of the team meetings are becoming very obvious. They have evidently concluded that the lack of a pass rush last season was not the fault of the line, but of the linebacking core.

The fact that the moves that the Texans' staff are making are so "surprising", indicates how little we know about what is going on. I would give my left arm to be a fly on the wall inside those team meetings.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #243
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are being to sentimental . Its obvious Capers and Casserly don't believe Sharper and Foreman are vital to get where they want to go . Foreman dropped of the planet last year and I don't believe Sharper is getting any better .
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #244
uga_iv
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Fan favoritism ranks very low on a GM's totem pole when managing a salary cap. The results of the team meetings are becoming very obvious. They have evidently concluded that the lack of a pass rush last season was not the fault of the line, but of the linebacking core.

The fact that the moves that the Texans' staff are making are so "surprising", indicates how little we know about what is going on. I would give my left arm to be a fly on the wall inside those team meetings.
Well said. In addition, Joe Fan complains when changes are made and when the team performs poorly will equally complain about changes that were not made. There is no way for CC, DC and the staff to keep all the fans happy. They (CC & DC) have a strategy and we should sit back and wait and watch. This is a sport for entertainment to the fan, but unfortunately, to the participants it's a business as this event has reminded us.
uga_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #245
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

geez guys, dont forget me. [/quote]

Or me.

I certainly don't know the whole story here but Sharper is still a great player. He is one of the best mlb in the league and he isn't fighting injuries or missing entire seasons to rehab or having a really off year like some players we know. He has been with us from the start and has played his butt off. Sharper even stated that he thought he would spend the rest of his career here and is willing to renegotiate his contract.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #246
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

How much was Foreman's signing bonus? Doesn't he still have 3 years left (including 2005)?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #247
spence425
Rookie

word on the street is that sharper will cost a "mid-round pick". i certainly hope it would be better, but yes, i agree that the texans must be targeting either DJ in the draft (by moving up), or somebody else that would be an impact player on defense.
spence425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2005   #248
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Sharper was on the news last night talking and there are some things he said that yall need to understand.

#1. A trade is not very likely. he isnt getting alot of interest.

#2. He said that he offered to restructure his contract, but that we released him instead.

#3. He said that he wanted to retire a Texan, but that now he wants to be released.

SO.. there is no "why dont we just restructure and keep him".. he will either be released, or traded.

As far as our LB corp goes.. I find it hard to beleive that we decided Sharper wasnt doing his job. I think we released him because we want to redo our LBs.. but also because we figured we could trade him for something. Now we are just going to lose a great LB, and get nothing for it.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #249
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Sharper made the mistake of not toeing the company line with a remark or 2 he made last year about the teams directions and got into managements doghouse and now can't get out. And I'm not surprised they
can't get more than a mid round pick for him - vets like Jamie just don't
fetch that much in the way of college draft picks.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #250
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I think Sharper made the mistake of not toeing the company line with a remark or 2 he made last year about the teams directions and got into managements doghouse and now can't get out. And I'm not surprised they
can't get more than a mid round pick for him - vets like Jamie just don't
fetch that much in the way of college draft picks.

Well then lets get a frickin mid round pick. Outright release is unnacceptable.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #251
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
I think we released him because we want to redo our LBs..
You're a little ahead of the game here--he hasn't been released yet.

Something else for people to keep in mind--just because Sharper says he was willing to restructure doesn't mean his demands were reasonable. Sure he might have done something to reduce his cap for a year or two but he may have been demanding a longer time period for the contract than the Texans were interested in or a really big signing bonus. Sharper may think a 6 year deal with a $12 mil signing bonus and league minimum in the 1st year is reasonable because his cap hit would go down to $2.7 this year but the Texans may not think he has 6 years left in him and if the contract doesn't have a long term you can't pro-rate out a large bonus.
Old 03-10-2005   #252
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

From the Point to Ponder department:

The fact that none of the 31 other teams are beating on Casserly's door seeking a trade for Sharper ought to be an eye opener for some.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #253
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
How much was Foreman's signing bonus? Doesn't he still have 3 years left (including 2005)?
Sharper's dead money for the last year of his contract would be $1.375 mil. Foreman's dead money for the last three years of his contract would be $1.32 mil.
Old 03-10-2005   #254
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe the Texans are building for the long haul . Why not get younger in the middle now as apposed to a couple of years from now . I know he's the best defensive player on a team thats 3 yrs old but you can't say our future is Sharper .
Old 03-10-2005   #255
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so irked at all this.
Jamie was one of FEW Texans players who were consistant. He came to play each game at 100%, something the rest of the team can't say. He should continue to suit up as a Texan and retire here. I need to contact Casserly, how do I do this? I am serious!!!!!!!!!

I find it quite refreshing to hear that some players (not the mouthy ones, but the respectful ones) make comments about how they are being coached and managed. Just goes to show that they are as in tune with it as we (the fans) are. If a good vet player like Jamie makes a comment and is known to be a great guy, kind of makes you stand back and think about what he says more. Is he seeing what we see? Is he saying what we are saying? He gets it in the tush because he is employed by them and is in the spotlight. We get ignored as the uneducated ignorant masses. Guess there is no such thing as constructive criticism in the NFL. It is all about the Benjamins and keeping Jamie is that way too, if you look at it in a WINNING SEASON sort of light. Putting the young talent out there with no mentor is not too smart IMO.
.02 spent /rant
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005   #256
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

The Texans did not have the best defense last year . If Sharper was the leader he did'nt lead to well . I don't think Sharpers rants made a bit of difference . He did'nt play that great . The Texans need to get younger on the front seven ,why noy start now . If the Texans are 7-9 again fans are going to look at Capers and Sharper will be long gone . My gut feeling is the Texans will be at least as good as they were last year on defense .
Old 03-10-2005   #257
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
I believe the Texans are building for the long haul . Why not get younger in the middle now as apposed to a couple of years from now . I know he's the best defensive player on a team thats 3 yrs old but you can't say our future is Sharper .
You can't say it is Payne either but we resigned him.
Old 03-10-2005   #258
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

What is the alternative to Payne ? Don't say no gain .
Old 03-10-2005   #259
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
From the Point to Ponder department:

The fact that none of the 31 other teams are beating on Casserly's door seeking a trade for Sharper ought to be an eye opener for some.
They may be waiting to pick him up after he is cut so it doesn't cost them any draft picks. The Texans probably want too high of a draft pick in return and every team in the league knows that we are going to release him if he can't find a trade. Sharper will play this year.
Old 03-10-2005   #260
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
I am so irked at all this...I need to contact Casserly, how do I do this? I am serious!!!!!!!!!
9 exclamation points? I can see that you're serious!

Address
The Houston Texans
Two Reliant Park
Houston, TX 77054

Telephone (832) 667-2000

email fanfeedback@houstontexans.com

Don't dismiss what effect a groundswell of fan feedback can have on the Texan organization. Good luck with that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read