Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2005   #181
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The one player i wish they would tell to seek a trade is G-Funk .... GROSSLY OVERPAID .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005   #182
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

well if we traded g-funk what would you think we would get in return and who would want him with that heavy of a salary...not to mention the huge cap hit we would suffer for it
Old 03-07-2005   #183
TMac48
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TMac48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drefan80
...Oh yeah, I forgot. Andre Johnson is the next Randy Moss.
This is true only if you mean better than Randy and minus the bad attitude and smart mouth.
TMac48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #184
MIGHTYTEX
Veteran

I'm not for trading him but if we do, we better get a player around the same caliber or a lineman, (off. or def.) and a second round pick or higher
Old 03-07-2005   #185
Ranger
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Ranger

I've been thinking about his for a while--and I'm ready to open my mouth.

I hate to say because I love Jamie Sharper, really I do, but I think its a GOOD idea to trade him. Think about it--he's 30. Yeah he has been the cornerstone for our defense, but he's 30. He can only be a cornerstone, and a good one, for the next 2 years. After that we just got a guy who's at best a backup gettting paid say $6 mil a year in his new 5 year contract. That don't help us much. Who's to say that he will work out a contract anyway? There seems to be a little friction between the two sides and he may want to test out the market so he may up and leave us. If we put him on the trading block now and see what his value his, he may come down on his wanting price and find out he may not be the hottest thing on the market. We get rid of him this year for a 2nd round pick (and a 2nd round pick is the highest we would get for him if not lower say a high 3rd) that gives us one more young player to fill a hole and an extra $5 to play around with in free agency this year or years to come.

Everybody is convinced that Greenwood is a signing that won't effect our defense very much. This is a guy thats very productive. He puts up 125 tackles every year playing alongside Zach Thomas and Junior Seau. I think we got us a special young player here that can come in and is ready to step up and give us 175 tackles and be consistant and to start making big plays. I think that the Greenwood-Wong combination would work. Yeah it don't look good on paper, but it doesn't matter whats on paper. If we can get rid of Sharpers contract and get close to the same production, then yeah I'm happy. I just think we overlooking the effect of Greenwood. Besides what has been are defensive ranking the past 2 seasons with Shaper? It ain't been to good. Its hard to imagine it could get any worse without him.

I'm all for it. Greenwood-Wong is an exciting combination. If we can get a 2nd for Sharper and can an extra player to fill a hole this year, and $5 mil in cap space, then why not. I think its a good job of Casserly to think outside the box.
Old 03-08-2005   #186
tiger06
Veteran

I love what Greenwood brings to our LB corps - a good, young, productive guy who should make an impact right away. I don't know if I like the idea of Wong starting beside him if Foreman and/or Sharper leaves.

I'd be ecstatic if we got a 2nd rounder for Sharper. We'd then have two 2nds and two 3rds, leaving us in great position to fill our team with young depth or package a couple of those picks along with our 1st rounder to possibly move up and grab DJ.

But even if Sharper does stay, I'll be happy. He can still play and he brings a lot to our defense. I trust Casserly and our management enough to do whatever benefits our team the most.
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #187
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I like Sharper. He is a solid LB, but he is not worth what he makes. In order to be worth his salary, he must have more big plays. Yes he has lots of tackles and I like that, but I really wish the NFL had some sort of tackles per 4 downs type of ratio. This would give a better comparison of production to other NFL players. The Texans' defense was probably on the field a bit more than most other teams, thus Sharper should get more tackles. If we only get a pick for Sharper, I would be happy with a second. The problem with picks is that you are not guaranteed a solid player, seems like a bigger risk than a veteran. I would rather we pick up a solid young veteran that fills a need position, but that is easier said than done. Ultimately I hope we retain Sharper but at a smaller contract. Sharper is good, but in my book, he is not as good as some people give him credit. He has to make more big plays to get big bucks...he gets around 0-3 fumbles, 2-5 sacks, and no interceptions a year right now...and he makes a little over the franchise value for LBs indicating he is one of the highest paid LBs in the league.

If anyone has a link that compares number of plays on defense each team incures throughout the season, I would love to see it. Thx
UberDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2005   #188
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDork
The Texans' defense was probably on the field a bit more than most other teams, thus Sharper should get more tackles. ... He has to make more big plays to get big bucks...he gets around 0-3 fumbles, 2-5 sacks, and no interceptions a year right now...and he makes a little over the franchise value for LBs indicating he is one of the highest paid LBs in the league.

If anyone has a link that compares number of plays on defense each team incures throughout the season, I would love to see it. Thx
Here is your
Link .

The Texans were 8th in fewest plays on D last year. It was a good theory, just didn't pan out.

Sharper playing like he did in 2004 was not worth his contract. Sharper in 2002, 2003 definitely was. In 2004 it wasn't the lack of "big" plays IMO--ILB's don't get as many sacks and their opportunities for sacks or INT's really depends on the schemes called. Sharper's play last year was off IMO on being a tad late to seal the corner, a little loose on coverage and on less sure tackling (too many plays he put his shoulder on the guy but did not wrap the arms). Players have off years without it meaning they have hit some sort of physical decline marking the end of their career so my bet would be on Sharper coming back to 2003 form. That said because of the cap getting him to restructure or exploring potential trades (doesn't mean you have to actually trade him) seems smart.
Old 03-08-2005   #189
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
.....Wong,Greenwood,Peek and Babin.....
One thing about that lineup, it would bring us the kind of speed to our LB corps that we haven't had up to now, and many say that's what that
group needs most of all to increase pressure on QBs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #190
UberDork
Veteran

Rep Power: 216 UberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respectedUberDork is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks infantrycak, I definately should have found those numbers myself...heh...just didn't see them...oh well. After looking at the numbers, I think my little theory is mostly bogus, but last year we were near the top and Sharpers production was down some. The two prior years we were near the bottom and Shapers production was up some. As far as the schemes affecting his opportunities for "big" plays is concerned, I sort of feel that if he were a big play waiting to happen, the coaches could alter schemes to allow him those opportunities. Granted, what I just said is somewhat short sighted and probably B.S., but I just don't see a Franchise ILB in Sharper. I see a very solid, does his job well, but doesn't challenge the coaches to alter schemes to suit his dominant play type of LB.
Old 03-08-2005   #191
keyfro
Hall of Fame

the only way i can be ok with trading sharper is that we trade him and our 1st round pick for cleveland's 1st pick and draft derrick johnson
Old 03-08-2005   #192
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There also was word out of Houston on Monday that linebacker Jamie Sharper, granted permission late last week by the Texans to seek a trade, might be talking to the Bengals. Lewis was Sharper's defensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens for five seasons (1997-01).
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...503080381/1066

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #193
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
the only way i can be ok with trading sharper is that we trade him and our 1st round pick for cleveland's 1st pick and draft derrick johnson
If we could somehow get Clevelands #3 overall in exchange for our #13 +
Sharper - don't even think about it - do it, forget about DJ. Then keep it for Johnston or trade back and get a gob of picks to give us 2-3 additional starters.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #194
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8706 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

If Sharper is indeed talking with the Bengals, then I would love to see this scenario: Sharper and one of our 3rd round picks for their 17th pick. Man having two first round picks would definitely address some major needs. Just a little wishful thinking.

Last edited by alphajoker; 03-08-2005 at 10:37 AM.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #195
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
If we could somehow get Clevelands #3 overall in exchange for our #13 +
Sharper - don't even think about it - do it,
Anyone in their right mind would do that deal in the from the Texans prospective , but why would Cleveland do this ? Makes no sense to me for them to take Sharpers contract (not to mention he's gettin a bit long in the tooth) and pass up a potential player like DJ . Sure they get Sharper and the 13 pick ..... just doesnt seem likely unless someone in their front office has been smokin ......
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #196
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

:woot Sharper for draft picks no baggage .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005   #197
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDork
As far as the schemes affecting his opportunities for "big" plays is concerned, I sort of feel that if he were a big play waiting to happen, the coaches could alter schemes to allow him those opportunities.
I think we have just seen the Greenwood change to allow that to happen more. Weak links affect more than just the weak player on a team. Foreman not getting the job done in run support makes Sharper try to take up the slack. Walker not getting it done last year didn't make Babin's rookie season any easier. Foreman not covering well puts extra pressure on the safeties. Part of what makes the Patriots so good without superstar defenders is everyone is solid so the guy next to them doesn't have to be a superstar to take up the slack and they have a lot of flexibility for schemes.
Old 03-08-2005   #198
UberDork
Veteran

Good point.
Old 03-08-2005   #199
cptnbreakdance
Veteran

Go to the Browns message board, they love this idea, they love sharper and they dont want the #3 pick, check for yourself if you dont believe me.
Old 03-08-2005   #200
keyfro
Hall of Fame

that and they seriously need linebackers if they are going to do the switch to a 3-4 defense...if they do this trade they won't get dj...but they will get sharper and probably merriman or d. cody

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read