Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2005   #21
Doom Capers
Veteran

I think Starling would make a great deep threat in our passing game. He is fast, and during preseason, I saw him open a lot. I think he deserves to try out for the #2 spot in training camp. Armstrong does too. I think Gaffney is a good #3. He got the ball a lot more in the slot, than as a #2. I saw let Armstrong and Starling battle for the #2, and we will go from there.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #22
H-TownRules
Veteran

I think we keep Gaff in the slot, and for #2 make a rotation between Armstrong and Starling, that way they can stay fresh.
Old 03-04-2005   #23
Rosusu
All Pro

Why are people just suddenly high on Starling? He has proven nothing to me, and obviously nothing to the team because he got ZERO playing time last year. If he shows something in training camp and pre season he may get a few catches next year, but we still have Armstrong who was a solid 4th reciever. I hope we draft a WR on the first day and have him be our number 2 with Gaff, then Armstrong then Starling. (not resigning Bradford)
Old 03-04-2005   #24
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
Why are people just suddenly high on Starling? He has proven nothing to me, and obviously nothing to the team because he got ZERO playing time last year. If he shows something in training camp and pre season he may get a few catches next year, but we still have Armstrong who was a solid 4th reciever. I hope we draft a WR on the first day and have him be our number 2 with Gaff, then Armstrong then Starling. (not resigning Bradford)
All Im going to say to that is keep an eye out for him(#17 i think) in the preseason
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #25
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd just be happy to see him continue to develop as a special teams stud. if he can beat out Moses for return duties (meaning show more than he did last preseason), Houston frees a roster spot. Even if he's lower than #3 on the WR depth chart, at least he COULD play WR in a game, unlike JJ.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #26
THEFUTURE
All Pro

maybe vinny or someone might know this... whats starling's 40 time? i know it doesnt tell everything about a player, im just curious
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

4.38 - Pro Day 40

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2005   #28
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Acoording to NFL.Com, Starling ran a 4.32 40...
Old 03-05-2005   #29
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps one is the combine and the other is his pro day. Either way, its not much difference.
Quote:
Kendrick Starling
Wide Receiver - Position Rank: #17
San Jose St.
5'11" - 190 lbs
4.38 - Pro Day 40
http://2004.otcdraft.com/news/articl...ckStarling.php
Quote:
Kendrick Starling Pro Day - from www.OTCDraft.com
Monday, March, 8 2004 | 2:10 PM CST - Posted by Larry Larmeu

Kendrick Starling (6-0, 196) ran the 40 twice on grass with football shoes for an average of 4.39. He added a 33-inch vertical jump and did not do a long jump nor did he do any shuttles since he had done them at the combine. In his positional workout, he ran a lot of routes and had his quarterback, Scott Rislov, throw passes to him. Not surprisingly, this is one of the hot players right now. Private workouts have been scheduled with the Jaguars, Cardinals, Packers and Eagles, among others.
http://2004.otcdraft.com/quickhits.p...AVFpuFjfDkhbtR

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Old 03-05-2005   #30
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

True, there isn't much of a difference...

We posted at the same time, and I wasn't trying to prove you wrong, merely posting what I had found...

That said, how could a guy with sub 4.4 speed, decent size, and good hands go undrafted?

Oh well, that's everyone else's loss and our gain...
Old 03-05-2005   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Didn't really mean anything. Just making a comment (Im often sloppy with my wording). Here is an interesting write up mentioning attitude as the reason he may have went undrafted.

Quote:
Kendrick Starling, Texans

Starling is an undrafted rookie out of San Jose State that has initially impressed the Houston coaching staff in mini-camp with his athleticism. Starling was the star of the JUCO circuit with a total of 111 receptions, 2305 yards, and 26 touchdowns in two years. He decided to attend Marshall after several higher profile schools sought him out. But Starling left Marshall, took a year off, and resurfaced at San Jose State where he didn't have performances that nearly matched his talent level.

The 6-1, 194 lb. Starling has been compared to Randy Moss in terms of his athleticism, playmaking ability, and unfortunately, attitude. Since The Gut Check has never seen Starling play, he'd have to say that comparison is not fair to either player. Starling could very well turn out to be a great one, but if this happens then we all have to wonder what Starling did, or didn't do, to go un-drafted.

Most likely it has to do with Starling's approach to the game or his attitude off the field, because to put up the kind of JUCO stats he did, and then barely gain just a little over a third of the total yards at San Jose State raises some eyebrows. Any of the negatives attributed to Starling from The Gut Check are purely speculation because he hasn't seen much about the player other than the sound bites about attitude problems without any documentation to justify the label. Otherwise, the only two things The Gut Check can imagine other than attitude/off-field concerns is that Starling either had been playing with an injury or he's had difficulty picking up the mental part of the game and relied too much on his physical gifts-again, purely speculation.

One thing that can't be argued is Starling can flat-out run. He consistently timed at 4.4 or better and he supposedly ran a 4.38 at San Jose State's pro day on a grass field with cleats!
http://www.fftoday.com/articles/waldman/gc_radar.htm
Old 03-05-2005   #32
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone know what Sloan Thomas' 40 time was? I've heard numerous times that he was faster than Roy back at Texas and wondered just how fast. I still think given time and training, he is gonna end up the better of the two.

I'd be pretty happy with an AJ, Starling, Thomas, and Armstrong lineup for '06. Not to say Gaffney isnt a decent WR, but I really don't think he has the potential the others have...
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #33
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

nevermind, found his 40 time, which was 4.55

Not that great, but that doesnt really mean anything. Reading some of the negatives they give Sloan, I could see why he may need a while to develop...

This one made me LMAO

Quote:
Seems to "chicken fight" when asked to block (flails his arms around, getting whatever piece he can of the defender).

*edit*
Starling's bio is basically says he needs some work as well...

Quote:
Has limited academic potential, needing time to digest the playbook.
Are we talking Forrest Gump slow?

Last edited by scourge; 03-05-2005 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2005   #34
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

can one of those guys take legitimate heat off of AJ?
Old 03-05-2005   #35
scourge 
Digression King

While I do like both of those guys potential, I dont see either one being a great #2 just yet... And with everything thats been going on lately, I strongly feel that Troy Williamson is gonna be our #13 this year if Pac-Man and DJ arent there, and they shouldnt be.

Old 03-05-2005   #36
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP

a gamecock as our top pick 2 years in a row? no prollem with that.
Old 03-05-2005   #37
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

id think Merriman would probably be above Williamson on our draft chart. everything im hearing about him is that he is a very fast and very powerful tweener. He could be awesome for us opposite of Babin. Merriman/Wong/Greenwood/Babin. looks good to me.

grab an ILB such as Thurman in the second... let Wong go next season.. and we have a very young and talented LB core. Course.. this would use both of our high draft picks on LBs. But there will still be alot of good Olinemen and Dlinemen available in the 3rd and 4th (hopefully.. with everyone switching to a 3-4.. big dlinemen may be a hot commodity)
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #38
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

where is a. peek in the equation?
Old 03-05-2005   #39
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

same place he has been the last two seasons. passing downs.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005   #40
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

i just see alot of people on this MB saying peek should be a starting LB next year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read