Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-03-2005   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible trade between Cards and Vikes?

LINK

I read this at the Jags MB and since I know nothing about fanball.com I don't know how reliable this story is...

The Vikings have the money to pursue the top remaining free agent receiver Plaxico Burress (Steelers). The problem with such a move is that Burress has a reputation for being a Moss-like head case with half the talent of the former No. 84. Team officials are scheduled to meet with Travis Taylor (Ravens), which would be a dramatic downgrade from Moss.

Trade rumors indicate that the Vikings are considering the idea of sending running back Michael Bennett and a second-round pick to the Cardinals in exchange for wideout Anquan Boldin. Team officials failed to address these rumors during a Thursday press conference, so it's hard to say how serious the talks have been.
Old 03-03-2005   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt the Cards would give up Boldin, but D. Green has done strange things before.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #3
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

Boldin is a up and coming wide out... why would the Cards even think of trading him?!
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #4
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

He wants alot more money for his lone good season than the Cards want to pay him. Makes sense to me. They get a good RB, a high draft pick and they still have Larry Fitzgerald.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #5
AndroidRaider24
Rookie

If they do the Cards will be kicking them selfs in the near future... this guy has the mold of TO his rookie year, and if he didnt get hurt last year he would of had another good season.... i just see him as one of the best WR's in the NFL in a couple of years..
AndroidRaider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #6
Rosusu
All Pro

Up and coming wideout vs a RB who hasnt really accomplished much?

I dont think so.
Old 03-04-2005   #7
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

sounds like a portis-bailey situation from last year. the cards have to make sure that bennett is healthy, though.
Old 03-04-2005   #8
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty steve
sounds like a portis-bailey situation from last year. the cards have to make sure that bennett is healthy, though.
Naw, The Portis-Bailey deal actually made sense for both teams.This one is just highway robbery given the depth of the Vikes at RB.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #9
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Why is Boldin considered an "up and comer" after just one good season but Bennett isn't? He put up a 1200+ yard season his 2nd year in. The wild-card would be him remaining healthy.

For Minnesota, they give up one of their RBs (they've got plenty) and get a promising WR (which they could use).

For Arizona, they get a homerun hitting RB (when healthy) as well as a 2nd round pick. They lose a promising WR but have a star in Fitzgerald and another first round draft pick in Bryant Johnson.

How would this be a bad trade for either team?
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #10
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Why is Boldin considered an "up and comer" after just one good season but Bennett isn't? He put up a 1200+ yard season his 2nd year in. The wild-card would be him remaining healthy.

For Minnesota, they give up one of their RBs (they've got plenty) and get a promising WR (which they could use).

For Arizona, they get a homerun hitting RB (when healthy) as well as a 2nd round pick. They lose a promising WR but have a star in Fitzgerald and another first round draft pick in Bryant Johnson.

How would this be a bad trade for either team?
Think of it this way...if Boldin can go for 1350+ yards with Jeff Blake and Josh McCown throwing him the ball, what would he do with a Culpepper??
Old 03-04-2005   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Was he going to go for 1350+ again with Larry Fitzgerald on the other side of the field? He won't in Minnesota with Kelly Campbell and Nate Burleson either.

I'm not saying Minnesota would get the short end of this deal. Just saying it'd be a fair trade because Bennett is a player in his own right.
Old 03-04-2005   #12
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Was he going to go for 1350+ again with Larry Fitzgerald on the other side of the field? He won't in Minnesota with Kelly Campbell and Nate Burleson either.

I'm not saying Minnesota would get the short end of this deal. Just saying it'd be a fair trade because Bennett is a player in his own right.
Oh how I hope Fitz turns into a bust....ugh, thats another story.

Both are semi-risks. Bennett cant seem to stay healthy and Boldin is "unproven" as well.However, it is far harder to find a 1200 yard(projecting last years totals out, adding 2003s stats and dividing by 2...) WR than it is to find a 1000 yard back. Even then, Bennett hasnt proven he is a 1000 yard back.
Old 03-04-2005   #13
dirty steve
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 dirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVPdirty steve was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to dirty steve

what i meant was the holdout equation. portis (2 years experience) was prolly going to hold last year, and boldin (2 years experience) is a likely holdout this without a new, more lucrative, deal. i don't think it is as much as one sided as people think. it seems both teams would be dealing from a strength.

vikes- slew of RB's (bennett/ o. smith/moore)
cards- a decent stable of WR's (boldin/johnson/fitzgerald)

i would rather have onterrio smith than bennett, though.
Old 03-04-2005   #14
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32

You've opened the can of worms now....spill it.

Fitz is a great guy, why would you hope he busts?
Old 03-04-2005   #15
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradK10
You've opened the can of worms now....spill it.

Fitz is a great guy, why would you hope he busts?
Let's just say, from certain issues that have happened in my life, I have issues with anything that comes from in/near/around/through Pittsburgh... Classy, mature player...still got that Pitt stink on him though
Old 03-04-2005   #16
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

You went to Penn State didn't you?

My ex's mom is from Pittsburgh, went to PSU, and still chants "Eat **** Pitt!"
Old 03-05-2005   #17
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Both are semi-risks. Bennett cant seem to stay healthy and Boldin is "unproven" as well.However, it is far harder to find a 1200 yard(projecting last years totals out, adding 2003s stats and dividing by 2...) WR than it is to find a 1000 yard back. Even then, Bennett hasnt proven he is a 1000 yard back.
Bennett went for over 1200+ his 2nd year in the league.
Old 03-05-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Bennett went for over 1200+ his 2nd year in the league.
Yes, he had ONE good season. He hasnt been able to stay healthy since. His career projections would be an 857.5 yard per season back.
Old 03-05-2005   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yes, he had ONE good season. He hasnt been able to stay healthy since. His career projections would be an 857.5 yard per season back.
As opposed to Boldin who's had several?

Explain to me again how Bennett can put up 1296 yards in one season but still not prove that he can be a 1000 yd RB.

Last edited by Huge; 03-05-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2005   #20
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
As opposed to Boldin who's had several?
Boldin averages 20.6 more yards per game RECEIVEING, than Bennett does RUSHING the ball.I mean runningbacks get the ball 20-25 more times per game than a WR does...Also taking into consideration who'd been throwing him the ball, he's easily the better player now by leaps and bounds.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read