Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-03-2005   #1
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Jonas Jennings (WTH)

Link

"eye-opening deal was the seven years and $36 million the 49ers gave to Buffalo left tackle Jonas Jennings. It included $12 million to $14 million in bonuses, which is amazing considering Jennings is a decent player whose value is up because he happens to be one of the few left tackles available. That had to drive his price up. He certainly isn't worth that kind of money."
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

This is insane. What the hell were the 49ers thinking?
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #3
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
This is insane. What the hell were the 49ers thinking?
Protect the QB at all costs.
Old 03-03-2005   #4
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Protect the QB at all costs
So why spend that much money on an average LT? Why not draft a LT or trade your first round pick for a top tier tackle? or Why not spread that money out and sign a couple of decent linemen over the whole line instead of all that money on one average LT?

Last edited by texan279; 03-03-2005 at 06:16 PM.
texan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #5
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Why not draft a LT or trade your first round pick for a top tier tackle?
They drafted Harris to be their LT a few years ago. Apparently, Kwame Harris has not shown enough promise to be the LT for the 49ers.
Old 03-03-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They drafted Harris to be their LT a few years ago. Apparently, Kwame Harris has not shown enough promise to be the LT for the 49ers.
I know Wags, I guess I did't phrase my words right, my point was why spend $36 million on an average LT in FA when you still have the draft in 6 weeks when you could get a better LT. I was responding to Youngstown Colt who said they did it to protect the QB at all costs, I was trying to get the point across that could have waited or looked elsewhere to sign another LT with more talent.
Old 03-03-2005   #7
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
So why spend that much money on an average LT? Why not draft a LT or trade your first round pick for a top tier tackle? or Why not spread that money out and sign a couple of decent linemen over the whole line instead of all that money on one average LT?
That's where the "at all costs" part comes into play
Old 03-03-2005   #8
texan279
Hall of Fame

All I am saying is paying Jenning that kind of money is like paying Gary Coleman $100 an hour to be your bodyguard when you could get The Rock to do it at $150 an hour.
Old 03-04-2005   #9
Rosusu
All Pro

Sounds like a dumb move to me.
Old 03-04-2005   #10
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Think of the 49ers as the 2002 Houston Texans and it makes some sense. They were so bad last year that they have to way overpay for mediocre talent. They are basically an expansion team. Kind of reminds me of Steve McKinney and Kailee Wong.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #11
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Wasn't Bledso the second most sacked QB in the league last year?
Old 03-07-2005   #12
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
they did draft Harris as a LT, but wanted to move him to RT thinking it might be more natural for him... and with so few LT in free agency... Jennings was able to have more power in the negotiations, so he got more than he or the niners thinks he deserves
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #13
Anishin
Rookie

I could be wrong, but I think the 49ers still have like 24-26 million of dead money on the cap this year. This really shocks me, I didn't expect them to try to get anybody til next year.
Anishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #14
THEFUTURE
All Pro

they do still have a lot of dead money, but they also dont have anyone really with any talent outside of a couple of guys, so with the dead money, their payroll could be like 60 mil around there, but with their talent level, i doubt they are even paying 60 mil to their players
Old 03-07-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Look at the 49ers. That is the Redskins around 2007 or so.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005   #16
THEFUTURE
All Pro

the niners needed somebody, really anybody to protect their QB... but if i was the niners i wouldnt take a QB, the niners are likely going to be in this position again next year and could just pick up leinert

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read