Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2010   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default OD might skip training camp

He's still upset about his contract situation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/

Quote:
This year, Daniels will be a restricted free agent again, due to the uncapped year and the shift of the minimum years of service for unrestricted free agency from four years to six. He recently told Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio that, even though a torn ACL will be healed by May, Daniels might wait even longer this year before signing.

"I might not even do training camp," Daniels said.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: OD might skip training camp

I'd be interested in hearing the entire interview to put that into context. The way it reads it's as if he's working under the idea that there's no chance a long-term contract is executed.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I didn't hear the interview, he doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he needs to re-prove himself after a pretty significant injury....Rick Smith and the org. won't have much sympathy I'm guessing
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Would you consider the Texans wrong to offer OD less money than he did last year or with more contingencies in it? I think that is reasonable but it sure might be a sticking point with OD. Would not at all be surprised to see him get a highest RFA tag or out of respect even a franchise tag ($5.9 mil for TEs).
Old 02-18-2010   #5
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

damn that suck!
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #6
D-Frank
Veteran

Rep Power: 97 D-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedD-Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

good, more reps for casey
D-Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard the entire interview, and it was more tongue in cheek, but you could tell by his tone in his voice that he will not be happy if he is not given a long term contract. He also said that Tony Hill don't take crap from no one. And that he can't really run any routes but he is a ferocious blocker.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2010   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great....another Texans player coming back from injury that doesn't think he needs the Training Camp reps to get himself ready. I hope the Texans get his situation under control faster than they did w/ Dunta, or we'll have the same crappy scenario all over again.

I've got no problem w/ the Texans franchising OD, he's definitely top-5 material (pre-injury).
Old 02-18-2010   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Great....another Texans player coming back from injury that doesn't think he needs the Training Camp reps to get himself ready. I hope the Texans get his situation under control faster than they did w/ Dunta, or we'll have the same crappy scenario all over again.

I've got no problem w/ the Texans franchising OD, he's definitely top-5 material (pre-injury).
No kidding. OD has more to prove this year than last year. Knee's arent anything to be ****ed with.
Old 02-18-2010   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice to see dunta's leadership at work, j/k
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

And here we go again................
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I don't think he should do TC. He outperformed his contract, asked for a new deal that better reflected what he brought to the organization, and wanted to look out for what his main concern was (injury). Well, he was proven correct in his concerns, and he's also proven that he's one of the best TEs in the league. I'd tell the team that they can have TC when they fairly compensate. Then, when the season started, I'd play because I'm under contract, as crappy as it is.

Players get paid a pittance in TC. Coming off injury, it's definitely not worth it.
Old 02-18-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's too early to tell if OD really means this. If we see him mention it a few more times in other interviews, I think there will be cause for concern. As it is now, he is trying to get a good contract for multiple years from the Texans, so this is just a bit of indirect negotiating.
Old 02-18-2010   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I don't think he should do TC. He outperformed his contract, asked for a new deal that better reflected what he brought to the organization, and wanted to look out for what his main concern was (injury). Well, he was proven correct in his concerns, and he's also proven that he's one of the best TEs in the league. I'd tell the team that they can have TC when they fairly compensate. Then, when the season started, I'd play because I'm under contract, as crappy as it is.

Players get paid a pittance in TC. Coming off injury, it's definitely not worth it.
If he's under contract in TC, and gets injured during a TC practice that extends into the regular season, is he not paid his existing contract $$?
Old 02-18-2010   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 263584 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
And here we go again................

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How many players go to thier front offices and request a pay cut when they under perform when compared to thier contract?

I love me some OD, but it's a bidness and it works both ways. I didn't see Dunta give McNair a rebate check this year for bieng a $2 million dollar player as opposed to a $9 million dollar CB. I believe that it is in the Texans best interested to give OD a new deal because he did out play his original contract, but he is coming off a major injury. Why do the Texans or any franchise "have" to tear up a guys contract when they outplay it? It's the option of the Front Office.
Old 02-18-2010   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 246932 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
How many players go to thier front offices and request a pay cut when they under perform when compared to thier contract?

I love me some OD, but it's a bidness and it works both ways. I didn't see Dunta give McNair a rebate check this year for bieng a $2 million dollar player as opposed to a $9 million dollar CB. I believe that it is in the Texans best interested to give OD a new deal because he did out play his original contract, but he is coming off a major injury. Why do the Texans or any franchise "have" to tear up a guys contract when they outplay it? It's the option of the Front Office.
I didn't say how I'd handle it if I were in the front office. I agree, it's a business for both sides. If I'm OD, I'm viewing it exactly like a business deal and doing everything I can to protect my interests. Sorry if that doesn't line up with the front office, but the FO is going to do everything they can to protect their interests, regardless if it lines up with the players.

Fans are the ones left in the lurch, but they have to realize that the FO doesn't care about the fans anymore than the players.
Old 02-18-2010   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fans are the ones left in the lurch, but they have to realize that the FO doesn't care about the fans anymore than the players.
Oh, they care about the fans...the paying ones, at least.

I think it'll get worked out, though. OD is too valuable to this offense, and replacing him is nowhere near as easy as many fans have suggested.
Old 02-18-2010   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Oh, they care about the fans...the paying ones, at least.

I think it'll get worked out, though. OD is too valuable to this offense, and replacing him is nowhere near as easy as many fans have suggested.
We only have 3 real playmaking receivers on the team in AJ, OD, and Slaton. I hope the FO knows we can't afford to lose OD. Same goes for AJ, god forbid we ever lose him.

Knee injuries are tricky. You never really know how well someone is going to come back from it. The good thing about keeping OD here is that we have backups who can help ease him in or take over if he doesn't play well.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We will now draft two TEs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read