Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Tickets, Memorabilia and Gear
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010   #1
HOUFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden cover
Default TriStar Event -Andre Johnson added

Just noticed Andre Johnson whas been added for the Tristar show in June in Houston along with Brian Cushing who had to cancel his appearance in January. No prices have been set yet but what would be the best item to have signed from Andre... Authentic Jersey?
HOUFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: TriStar Event -Andre Johnson added

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUFan View Post
Just noticed Andre Johnson whas been added for the Tristar show in June in Houston along with Brian Cushing who had to cancel his appearance in January. No prices have been set yet but what would be the best item to have signed from Andre... Authentic Jersey?
Yes - have him sign on the number. Better mail order one now.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #3
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TriStar Event -Andre Johnson added

Quote:
Where is it going to be, and how much is it to get in?
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Yes - have him sign on the number. Better mail order one now.
I'm about ready to be in the market for a signed jersey myself. Probably will try to get it done myself at all-access. Why is it better to have him sign on the number?
Old 02-17-2010   #5
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I'm about ready to be in the market for a signed jersey myself. Probably will try to get it done myself at all-access. Why is it better to have him sign on the number?
If it is authenitc numbers are the best spot. If replica (iron on numbers) have him sign the jersey itself (so get a white one) because Sharpie blurs on the iron on material).

Be ware of Tri-Star. I have never been - but make sure you read the fine print before you pay any money. I know there are all kinds of restrictions or no guarantees until you pay a certain level of money.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 02-17-2010   #6
HOUFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 HOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden coverHOUFan could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
Where is it going to be, and how much is it to get in?
I believe it is going to be at George R Brown...it will probably be about $8 to get in and then like $8 or $6 to get an authentication ticket for your item. Then on top of that you have to have an item and also buy the autograph ticket. I'm assuming Andre will be close to the $100 mark. It also depends on the item, some people charge different $ for different items... like for example...$40 for flat items (cards, photos) and $90 for Jerseys and footballs. Not all sports stars charge the same...they range from $20 - $400. I know Cushing charged $40 to sign anything in January...not sure if this will be the same for June. At the same show Colt McCoy was charging over $100 for some stuff...just crazy in my opinion for a college player.

Prices are not up yet...but just google tristar show to find the info.
Old 02-17-2010   #7
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe it is going to be at George R Brown...it will probably be about $8 to get in and then like $8 or $6 to get an authentication ticket for your item. Then on top of that you have to have an item and also buy the autograph ticket. I'm assuming Andre will be close to the $100 mark. It also depends on the item, some people charge different $ for different items... like for example...$40 for flat items (cards, photos) and $90 for Jerseys and footballs. Not all sports stars charge the same...they range from $20 - $400. I know Cushing charged $40 to sign anything in January...not sure if this will be the same for June. At the same show Colt McCoy was charging over $100 for some stuff...just crazy in my opinion for a college player.

Prices are not up yet...but just google tristar show to find the info.
Thanks!
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2010   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I have a football AJ signed for a charity that I'm very involved with. It's the centerpiece of my football room.
Old 02-18-2010   #9
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I have a football AJ signed for a charity that I'm very involved with. It's the centerpiece of my football room.
Waaaaaaaaaaait - AJ signed a ball for your charity and it is in YOUR man room?
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 02-18-2010   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Waaaaaaaaaaait - AJ signed a ball for your charity and it is in YOUR man room?
Yep. I outbid everyone for it in our silent auction.
Old 02-18-2010   #11
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Yep. I outbid everyone for it in our silent auction.
LOL - awesome.

I've done that before - secured an item I think is awesome for a charity event and I end up buying it/winning the auction.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 02-18-2010   #12
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a question, why do people pay for an autograph?
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
Just a question, why do people pay for an autograph?
In my case, because it was a charity item where all the proceeds went to the kids. In many other people's cases, it's an investment of sorts, since somewhere down the road they may be able to sell the autograph for more than what they paid.
Old 02-19-2010   #14
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In my case, because it was a charity item where all the proceeds went to the kids. In many other people's cases, it's an investment of sorts, since somewhere down the road they may be able to sell the autograph for more than what they paid.
I get the charity aspect of it all....anything that goes for helping any cause is a great thing...But to do it to sell later on in life... that is the part I think is odd..That is why I had asked why do people buy something in hopes to make a profit down the road...if I had to pay someone to sign their name, a name, well IMHO, I would rather put it somewhere else where it would work for me a lot better.. If you cannot get it for free, and mind you, it is a name on a ball, shirt, photo, well then , I guess I am one of the minority. I buy a ball to play with, a shirt to wear, not to see if it will make me more money in 10 years..
I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but I guess once I got past the age of 15 I thought that I was too old to be chasing down other peoples name on a ball or card.
For those of you who have cashed in in the past, outstanding... I have a closet full of stuff that I have got that probably wont see the light of day again, and if it wasn't for my wife, I would have probably tossed them by now.
Anyways, , everyone have a great weekend !!
Old 02-19-2010   #15
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie View Post
For those of you who have cashed in in the past, outstanding... I have a closet full of stuff that I have got that probably wont see the light of day again, and if it wasn't for my wife, I would have probably tossed them by now.
Anyways, , everyone have a great weekend !!
I agree with you - I do it because I have a man cave littered with my items and I'm proud of them (although some mock me ). I don't get the collectors (I know a lot of them by site) who line up and wait for an evet for 4, 6, 8+ hours to get a guy to sign 3 or 4 items. Sure, maybe you can sell the Andre Johnson stuff - but let's say you have 3 people, 1 item each which will resale for $100 each.

$300 profit, 18 man hours. That's $16.66/hour at BEST. Any other player and you're looking at much less....

The ONLY items I have that I have paid for: Joe Marciano breast cancer awareness ball cap and a signed Andre Johnson pink gatorade towel (though it was a chairty auction throguh NFL.com) - and that was because you could ONLY get pink items on their website and my wife wanted a few
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 02-19-2010   #16
hobie
Site Contributor

Quote:
I agree with you - I do it because I have a man cave littered with my items and I'm proud of them (although some mock me ). I don't get the collectors (I know a lot of them by site) who line up and wait for an evet for 4, 6, 8+ hours to get a guy to sign 3 or 4 items. Sure, maybe you can sell the Andre Johnson stuff - but let's say you have 3 people, 1 item each which will resale for $100 each.

$300 profit, 18 man hours. That's $16.66/hour at BEST. Any other player and you're looking at much less....

The ONLY items I have that I have paid for: Joe Marciano breast cancer awareness ball cap and a signed Andre Johnson pink gatorade towel (though it was a chairty auction throguh NFL.com) - and that was because you could ONLY get pink items on their website and my wife wanted a few
Yankee... thanks for clearing that up for me... that is what I meant all along, the collectors who spend hours in line for that.. Yeah, for $16.66 an hour... not even worth my time spending waiting all day for a signature.. Again, thanks for putting it like that, as that is how I was meaning it to come across...
Old 02-19-2010   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If it is authenitc numbers are the best spot. If replica (iron on numbers) have him sign the jersey itself (so get a white one) because Sharpie blurs on the iron on material).

Be ware of Tri-Star. I have never been - but make sure you read the fine print before you pay any money. I know there are all kinds of restrictions or no guarantees until you pay a certain level of money.
Awesome and useful info to keep in mind about the signings! Thanks! Another question... Why is an authentic jersey the best item? What about helmets and other types of memorabilla?
Old 02-19-2010   #18
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

16.66?! Man! That's more than DOUBLE what i made for 12 years! Shit. I was in the wrong business.
Old 02-19-2010   #19
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
16.66?! Man! That's more than DOUBLE what i made for 12 years! Shit. I was in the wrong business.
My example was Andre Johnson - what do you think a David Anderson ball re-sales for? lol

You can have ANY item you like signed. But as far as jerseys, if the player is high caliber (i.e. you want the item around for a while maybe even framed) and it is a hard autoigraph to get, authentic jerseys are the best.

For mini-helmets make sure you let the marker dry before tossing it some where - Sharpies can smudge. When you display it, make sure it is not direct sunlight or high heat, the decals can start to peel off.

Academy has mini helmet cases for I think $8 and football display cases for about $16. They'r cheap, but they're also cheap and serve their purpose. You may haveto hunt through the store to find them, but they are around.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 02-19-2010   #20
HOUFan
Rookie

Also, more than half of the stars that participate in these signings are retired athletes....and some have some specific rules. I know for the January TriStar show Randy Johnson, the pitcher, would not sign a jersey unless it had 5 autographs already on it! Some of these guys hardly sign autographs so they make rare appearances and charge a lot more.
For Andre, I would get an Authentic jersey because as someone mentioned he is a high talent and more than likely a future HOF. IMO, I just want the item to be best when I display it in my designated sports room...especially if I had to pay for the autograph and it has an authentification. I really don't plan on ever selling it but if I ever had to, it would get more money than an autograph replica jersey.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Tickets, Memorabilia and Gear
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read