Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-04-2005   #121
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
How silly that you left Derrick Brooks off that list...
Listed the top 3 from each conference.

Quote:
Pssssst the Pro Bowl OLBs also had 3 Sacks, 5 INTs, 4 FFs and 17 PDs(Spikes)... 10.5 Sacks and 1 FF(Suggs)...7 Sacks, 3 FFs, 12 PDs and 1 INT(Porter)...2.5 Sacks, 2 FF, 3 INTs(Brooking)...I could continue...but the trend is rather obvious...
Psst, can you say 3-4 vs. 4-3? Can you say $7 mil per year instead of $4 mil. Wasn't saying Greenwood was as good as those guys, just that saying he didn't have enough tackles is dumb. Care to seriously argue that point? Try reading the quote above a post and it will give you a lot better idea on the point being responded to.
Old 03-04-2005   #122
MikeMc
All Pro

Zach Thomas, arguably the Fins best LB and perrenial Pro-Bowl player, has not had the "playmaker" numbers that people are saying Greenwood lacks as well.

Zach career numbers (9 seasons/ 133 games):

Sacks: 13.5
FF: 10
FR: 6
INT: 15

Tackles: 1259

Seems to me that either the Dolphins' defensive scheme is centered around LBs making tackles, not "plays", or that Zach is a "tackles-only" kind of LB!

What do you think??

Contrast that with the other highly touted Defensive player on the Dolphins:

Jason Taylor:
(8 seasons/ 124 games)

Sacks: 80.5
FF: 22
FR: 19
INT: 4

Tackles: 461 (342 solo)

And for the size issue, Morlon has 1 inch on Zach and about 8 pounds!!
Old 03-04-2005   #123
cadahnic
All Pro

By the way Dude I have been doing scouting for years, and I get paid a good wage for it. I am just a big fan of the Texans because I am from Houston and played ball at A&M. I want to see them make smart moves not pass on good players and reach on bad ones. I also have waited years for the Houston to get a team and I am dont want to wait and listen to piss ant excuses about why they did not make the playoffs. We are getting rid or restructuring alot of contracts next year so we need to win now.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #124
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Psst, can you say 3-4 vs. 4-3? Can you say $7 mil per year instead of $4 mil. Wasn't saying Greenwood was as good as those guys, just that saying he didn't have enough tackles is dumb. Care to seriously argue that point? Try reading the quote above a post and it will give you a lot better idea on the point being responded to.
Yes, I can say 3-4 vs 4-3, because we are moving a 4-3 linebacker into a 3-4 system. Wanna know something about the majority of those Pro Bowlers?? They also played in 4-3 systems...so if they were able to force turnovers or get sacks, why couldnt Greenwood??

7 mill??? Suggs is going to make a base salary of 380k next year. 3.2 mil for Brooking. That Porter guy?? 3.5 Mil. The only LBs who made the Pro Bowl making more than 4 mil are Spikes and Brooks...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #125
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
By the way Dude I have been doing scouting for years, and I get paid a good wage for it. I am just a big fan of the Texans because I am from Houston and played ball at A&M. I want to see them make smart moves not pass on good players and reach on bad ones. I also have waited years for the Houston to get a team and I am dont want to wait and listen to piss ant excuses about why they did not make the playoffs. We are getting rid or restructuring alot of contracts next year so we need to win now.
Big freaking deal. So what, the internet scouts can't agree on the value of this move. I don't even think the real NFL team scouts would share a unified opinion. What we know for sure is that the Texans scouts and staff obviously like Greenwood. Since I don't much more about the guy than what I know from NFL2K5, I'll just trust the Texans on this one.

Here's some reality about free agency: you always overpay. Casserly has repeatedly said it. That is why the Texans try not to break the bank for the (fan) consensus top guys and tend to focus on the draft. This team is in no position to mortgage its future cap space just to win now. Look at NE. They usually don't make exciting offseason moves or throw crazy money at big name players. They usually puzzle people by signing seemingly average and obscure guys. But they win. That is what the Texans are doing. Getting players who fit their team best so they can win.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #126
MikeMc
All Pro

By the way, ILBs in a 3-4 are looked upon to shore up the run defense first, cover second, make plays third. Athletic/fast LBs succeed in the 3-4 D, so maybe the Texans brass wanted a LB that fits their system, not one that has looked good on paper.....besides, those Pro-Bowl players you mention:

Spikes, Suggs, Porter, and Brooking...they all play OLB! Porter & Suggs play OLB in a 3-4!

As for the ILBs from the Pro-Bowl:

AFC:
Lewis - 147 tkls, 1 sack, 1 FF, 0 INT
Farrior - 95 tkls, 3 sacks, 3 FF, 4 INTs
Bruschi - 120 tkls, 4 sacks, 2 FF, 3 INTs

NFC:
Dan Morgan - 102 tkls, 2 sacks, 1 FF, 2 INTs
Trotter - 61 tkls, 1 sack, 0 FF, 0 Int

So then Farrior is the stud in the bunch: Greenwood would be between Lewis and Trotter! According to numbers.
Old 03-04-2005   #127
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, I can say 3-4 vs 4-3, because we are moving a 4-3 linebacker into a 3-4 system. Wanna know something about the majority of those Pro Bowlers?? They also played in 4-3 systems...so if they were able to force turnovers or get sacks, why couldnt Greenwood??
Funny of the 4 you mentioned, 2 (those with the highest sack totals) play in 3-4 defenses. Ya think, maybe it was because Greenwood played behind Jason Taylor and the system wasn't set up for him to get the sacks (Miami's OLB's combined for 1 sack last year and the team was still a top defense)?

Quote:
7 mill??? Suggs is going to make a base salary of 380k next year. 3.2 mil for Brooking. That Porter guy?? 3.5 Mil. The only LBs who made the Pro Bowl making more than 4 mil are Spikes and Brooks...
We aren't talking about acquiring those guys as draft choices so their cap numbers are reasonable, we are talking about free agent value. Edgerton Hartwell is asking $6 mil/yr. So call it $6+ for those guys as free agents.
Old 03-04-2005   #128
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 446 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not all 4-3s are the same. You know that. Were those backs in a 4-3 zone blitz scheme (similar to a 3-4 zone scheme)? Were they cover-2 guys? What were they asked to do? Those questions matter. Greenwood was asked to tackle and be a run-stopper. Miami depended upon their D-line for sacks and their excellent secondary for pass defense. The LBs were dedicated run-stoppers. The stats for the Miami defense bear that out.

FYI, Sharper, despite starting all 16 games each season, never got over 100 tackles until his 5th year in the league. He only has 2 career interceptions and his sack numbers have been in decline since he became a Texan.
Old 03-04-2005   #129
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Funny of the 4 you mentioned, 2 (those with the highest sack totals) play in 3-4 defenses. Ya think, maybe it was because Greenwood played behind Jason Taylor and the system wasn't set up for him to get the sacks?
Brooking played a 4-3, had some sacks and INTs. Spikes played a 4-3 and had 5 INTs. Both those guys had good Dlines and still made plays.

Quote:
So call it $6+ for those guys as free agents.
If 2+ million dollars will add 10 takeaways and a pro-bowler to our defense...I'm in.
Old 03-04-2005   #130
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoX
Not all 4-3s are the same. You know that. Were those backs in a 4-3 zone blitz scheme (similar to a 3-4 zone scheme)? Were they cover-2 guys? What were they asked to do? Those questions matter. Greenwood was asked to tackle and be a run-stopper. Miami depended upon their D-line for sacks and their excellent secondary for pass defense. The LBs were dedicated run-stoppers. The stats for the Miami defense bear that out.
Atlanta and Buffalo ran the same type of system..
Old 03-04-2005   #131
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

FYI, Sharper, despite starting all 16 games each season, never got over 100 tackles until his 5th year in the league. He only has 2 career interceptions and his sack numbers have been in decline since he became a Texan.

That is because our dl has never been more than average at best. And guess what, nothing is changing on the dl.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #132
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
If 2+ million dollars will add 10 takeaways and a pro-bowler to our defense...I'm in.
Mojo hit the nail on the head and you can't sign FA pro-bowlers to every position. You try to draft your pro-bowlers and fill in needs with solid FA's. There just isn't enough cap to sign Kendrell Bell, Orlando Pace, Plaxico Burress and keep the guys you are growing like AJ & Dunta.
Old 03-04-2005   #133
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
That is because our dl has never been more than average at best. And guess what, nothing is changing on the dl.
He is refering to the Sharper's first 5 seasons in the league while he was with the Ravens.
Old 03-04-2005   #134
MojoX
Veteran

Quote:
Atlanta and Buffalo ran the same type of system..
The question is whether those linebackers were depended on to perform the same duties as Miami's linebackers. Stop skirting the issue just to be argumentative. Bottomline is that none of us know what Greenwood can do beyond what Miami's coaches asked him to do.

I've know idea what point you were trying to make, so I checked the LB stats for both Atlanta and Buffalo. Lets just say I wasn't impressed.
Old 03-04-2005   #135
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
The question is whether those linebackers were depended on to perform the same duties as Miami's linebackers. Stop skirting the issue just to be argumentative. Bottomline is that none of us know what Greenwood can do beyond what Miami's coaches asked him to do.

I've know idea what point you were trying to make, so I checked the LB stats for both Atlanta and Buffalo. Lets just say I wasn't impressed.
Which is why I said, YES, BUFFALO AND ATLANTA RAN THE SAME TYPE OF 4-3.I dont know what's so hard about that... Both teams had solid DLines and used the DBs for pass coverage and used the LBs for run stopping, yet both Brooking and Spikes still made plays.

To your second point...hey, if you'll take a guy with 10 or so more tackles and 10 fewer takeaways/sacks, that's your call....I'm willing to be the even casual football fan would choose otherwise.
Old 03-04-2005   #136
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is refering to the Sharper's first 5 seasons in the league while he was with the Ravens.
FYI, Sharper, despite starting all 16 games each season, never got over 100 tackles until his 5th year in the league. HE ONLY HAS 2 CAREER INTERCEPTIONS AND HIS SACK NUMBERS HAVE BEEN IN DECLINE SINCE HE BECAME A TEXAN.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #137
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
FYI, Sharper, despite starting all 16 games each season, never got over 100 tackles until his 5th year in the league. HE ONLY HAS 2 CAREER INTERCEPTIONS AND HIS SACK NUMBERS HAVE BEEN IN DECLINE SINCE HE BECAME A TEXAN.
Well gee, sorry don't go all caps on me. If you are talking about his INT and sack numbers going down it is because he moved from OLB to ILB primarily. That is also why his tackle numbers went up dramatically when he got here.
Old 03-04-2005   #138
MojoX
Veteran

Quote:
Which is why I said, YES, BUFFALO AND ATLANTA RAN THE SAME TYPE OF 4-3.I dont know what's so hard about that..
Complete sentences help.

Quote:
Both teams had solid DLines and used the DBs for pass coverage and used the LBs for run stopping, yet both Brooking and Spikes still made plays.

To your second point...hey, if you'll take a guy with 10 or so more tackles and 10 fewer takeaways/sacks, that's your call....I'm willing to be the even casual football fan would choose otherwise.
But did they do it like Miami? That is the issue here. And it isn't a matter of getting 10+ tackles for -10 takeaways/sacks. So stop exaggerating. Not one linebacker on either team had more than 3.5 sacks. The only outstanding "playmaker" was Spikes with 3 sacks and 5 ints. The rest of the linebackers on either team had under 3 sacks.

My point is the same: even those teams didn't run the scheme like Miami did. Heck, I wouldn't expect the LB that plays behind Jason Taylor to rack up the sacks. You have to compare Greenwood's performance to what he was asked to do. You can't get a sack if the coaches don't blitz you. It is just that simple.

At the very least, Greenwood is an upgrade over Foreman who had no sacks, no ints, and only 79 tackles.
Old 03-04-2005   #139
MojoX
Veteran

Quote:
Well gee, sorry don't go all caps on me. If you are talking about his INT and sack numbers going down it is because he moved from OLB to ILB primarily. That is also why his tackle numbers went up dramatically when he got here.
This is what I am trying to demonstrate here. All this stat and playmaker stuff is too one-dimensional. Sharper has been a great defender. To understand his play, you have to understand more about the role he played and the team he was on. Sharper didn't become a worse blitzer. Our Dline was weak. Sharper didn't become a better tackler. His role in the D was to be the primary run stopper. Looking at stats alone one could argue that Sharper is a playmaker in severe decline, but it may not be that simple.

Its a similar thing with Greenwood. We gotta measure is production in terms of his role as much as we can. I am sure the Texans have done that.
Old 03-04-2005   #140
titan hater
Veteran

Thumbs up

MArlon at LIL.
Wong at RIL.
Babin at ROL.
Peek at LOL.

Marlon is fast and can cover. Can any of you remember the SD game. Thier TE killed us. In fact our D made most Opossinf TE look like Pro-bowler.

Speed kills! Although, Peek does get some stupid penalties he still has a tremendous upside. Every time he was in the game he caused the other guys QB to have to move a some. I truley beleive he is the real deal.

Wong is OK on the outside, but he is built like a prototyoical IL. If SHaper goes somewhere else Wong can do the job!

Babin was learning a new position last year. This year he will improve 5 fold!!

I am excited over this signing. It will be even better if we can get a 2nd rounder for Sharper...
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read