Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2005   #101
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

they guys over on the miami mb's dont seem to sad to see him go. they were calling him the invisable man, said we over paid. hope they are wrong.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #102
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Considering the state of their team, I wouldnt put to much weight on what they say
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #103
MikeMc
All Pro

What will the LB corps look like in 2005??

Starters:
OLB Jason Babin
OLB Antwan Peek
ILB Morlon Greenwood
ILB Jaime Sharper

Reserves:
ILB Jay Foreman & DaShon Polk
OLB Kailee Wong & Charlie Anderson
Old 03-03-2005   #104
ginessey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc
What will the LB corps look like in 2005??

Starters:
OLB Jason Babin
OLB Antwan Peek
ILB Morlon Greenwood
ILB Jaime Sharper

Reserves:
ILB Jay Foreman & DaShon Polk
OLB Kailee Wong & Charlie Anderson
I don't think Greenwood was picked up to be an immediate starter. He is a little too undersized right now to be and outside or inside linebacker. He is a coverage linebacker. He has tremendous upside though. Right now we'll probably see him in 3rd down situations, nickel, 3-3-5, and maybe dime packages. But we must not forget the clever defensive mind of Dom Capers. In the playoffs the Patriots started using a lot of defensive formations that the Texans used this year and last year. Picture this its, 3rd and long and the Texans come on the field with Sharper, Greenwood, Peek, Babin, Wong, Foreman, and Polk. Who's coming and who's dropping in coverage? If I'm an offensive lineman I sure would be confused with 0 D-lineman and 7 linebackers all showing blitz. It's schemes like this that make me think this pickup was a good one. For the starters I would say OLB Peek/Babin ILB Wong/Sharper. But I wouldn't be suprised if they go after Derrick Johnson in the draft and throw him in the rotation also.
ginessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #105
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginessey
I don't think Greenwood was picked up to be an immediate starter. He is a little too undersized right now to be and outside or inside linebacker. He is a coverage linebacker.
He is the same size as our starting ILB for the last three years that he will be replacing--Foreman. And the texans didn't pay that kind of money for a situational LB.

FYI from the Texans roster:

Greenwood 238 lbs
Anderson 243 lbs (and 4" taller)
Foreman 240 lbs
Polk 242 lbs
Sharper 240 lbs
Old 03-04-2005   #106
MikeMc
All Pro

Here Here infantrycak!

With a $7mil signing bonus and avg of $4mil a year, he better play all special teams, start at ILB and be the holder on FGs & PATs!

Not start??? Hell, there are several LBs in FA that would kill to have that signing bonus & contract...all of them are projected starters!

He is also rated as the #31 FA this season and #5 LB. At 26 and only 4 years in the league, I'd say he is the ILB of the future!! He is just starting to show what he can do. Here are his tackles thus far:

2001- 70
2002- 70
2003- 85
2004- 133
Old 03-04-2005   #107
SESupergenius

Here's what the Dophins fans have to say:

Huh?

Greenwood has'nt made a meaningful play in four years. Yes he made some tackles when Zach got hurt but in our system a traffic cone would get some tackles...it is about PLAYS...and Morlon has'nt made one in four years.
---------------
He's a very solid player. I don't know if I'd say "playmaker". But I'll be interested in seeing what he can do in a more aggressive scheme (such as Houston's 3-4).
---------------
MG is indeed a sold LB who I believe will improve over the next few years as he is still young, but when you look up Playmaker in the dictionary your def not going to find a picture of Morlon Greenwood
---------------
It's funny how his named is never heard in a game.
---------------
Kinda boring wasn't he...at least he wasn't a big penalty maker..
---------------
If Morlon Greenwood was so solid ..... Can anyone name or place one big play he made over the last four years?? Like turnover,cause a fumble or big sack or INT!! You can't because in 4 years he never had an INT, a fumble recovery,forced fumble!! I mean we are talking about linebacker and four years!! NO BIG TIME PLAYS IN 4 YEARS!! NOTTA!!The price we paid for this clown rapper was way too much! He was a bust! I mean you sometimes luck out and even cause a turnover or even recover a fumble,especially at linebacker.Morlon had ZERO in four years!He's a ZERO! Trust me, The Texans did us a huge favor!
----------------
Greenwood was the same way here at Syracuse...tons of athletic ability, but he never made any plays here either. When we drafted MG, I was still giving Wanny the benefit of the doubt, but it seriously made me question why we gave up a 2nd round pick the next year for a guy who never made any plays in college.
----------------
He's a solid starter, but nothing special. Texans definitly overpaid. I don't see how he fits into the 3-4 either.
----------------
the texans problem with there D is there so slow in the linebacker area...jamie sharper is fast but everyone else is slow...jason babin is fast and so is morlon greenwood...will help them more than it did us
----------------
Texans need an inside linebacker more than anything, not sure why they went for Greenwood
-----------------
Their GM must be asking Ricky for advice. Morlon Greenwood is an ok player, they're paying him like if he was a game changer. They're on crack, they overpaid big time.
-----------------
I still don't get it. He doesn't fit their scheme at all. They should have at least looked at Ed Hartwell or Kendrell Bell. I would be pissed if I was a Texans fan.
-----------------
alot are saying it was a great signing because of his upside, and because he can play both outside and inside(not my words from the Texans message board on nfl.com) I'm cotemplating registering and telling them that in the course of 1 month, Moore, Pope, AND Ayo made more meaningful plays than Morlon did in 4 years here.
[
Sponsored links
Old 03-04-2005   #108
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

*shrug*.. has he ever played in a 3-4? as an ILB? its completely different. if he has the coverage skills and tackling ability that he is supposed to have.. he could be really good for us.

Im going to trust Casserly on this one.. and we have 3 years to decide if we want him or not before his contract really makes a difference.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #109
MikeMc
All Pro

Hell, making tackles and stopping big plays (gains of 20+ yards) is just the same as getting a FF,FR or INT. It is part of the game. The Texans "other" LBs have lacked fundamentals....if Greenwood can get the job done w/o the flash (i.e. tackle) then I'm all over that.

Hell, Matt Stevens would of needed a 15 INT season to compensate for all of his missed tackles! Too many people only care about the "flashy" play, HomeRuns & TOs, but the real playmakers make the "simple" plays!
Old 03-04-2005   #110
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

This guy is a joke. As someone who lives in Miami and watches the Dolphins as my "second" team, I can assure you he's never been part of a big play in his entire career. If memory serves, his career stats include the following highlights:

No sacks EVER
No forced fumbles EVER
No INTs EVER

And only a significant number of tackles 1 of 4 years. Even with a GREAT DL and GREAT secondary in Miami, he was still invisible. The sports media here was crucifying the Texans yesterday for this move and I totally agree.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #111
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Sporting news radio said that the sportingnews him ranked very high as I was listening to their broadcast this last night. They were praising the move and said he had a rating with up with Claiborne and Gold (couple of pretty good linebackers). They had him rated at 7.something on their rating scale, and that rating figure was fairly high from what Kevin Wheeler was relaying. Juinor Seau's best sack year in the last 7 years is 3.5 The Dolphins do not ask their linebackers to sack the quarterback (the DE's do in a 4-3). Run and chase is what they wanted out of Greenwood. btw, Greenwood was the second leading tackler last year on a pretty good defense. Only Zach Thomas had more tackles.

Looks like the other higher rated LB's were asking for the moon.
Quote:
Thursday, the Chiefs entertained Jeremiah Trotter, who passed his physical, and even brought in Kendrell Bell. They previously had Ed Hartwell in for a visit but his contract demands seem quite high according to several teams $10 million to sign and $6 million average.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3437464

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #112
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

wow, 10 million to sign and 6 mil avg is alot - sorry ed, too rich for our 'battle red' blood

contrary to dolphins and other people unassociated with the texan org i believe he was a good pickup and hope him and _______ (whoever he will be playing with at ILB) become a strong point for our defense.
Old 03-04-2005   #113
SESupergenius

But is this really an upgrade to Foreman??
Old 03-04-2005   #114
cadahnic
All Pro

This is a dumbass move by the Texans. I mean they have the opportunity to grab Derrick Johnson in the draft and the money they spent on Greenwood could have went to Kareem McKenzie the offensive tackle that we desperately need. He can also play guard. Greenwood is small and rangy, but he cannot get away from a block and in four years as a starter only last year did he finally get over 100 tackles. A terrible move and a complete reach by the Texans that is the worst move since drafting Babin instead of a big time saftey or OL.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #115
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
This is a dumbass move by the Texans. I mean they have the opportunity to grab Derrick Johnson in the draft and the money they spent on Greenwood could have went to Kareem McKenzie the offensive tackle that we desperately need. He can also play guard. Greenwood is small and rangy, but he cannot get away from a block and in four years as a starter only last year did he finally get over 100 tackles. A terrible move and a complete reach by the Texans that is the worst move since drafting Babin instead of a big time saftey or OL.
Your right, ship em outta here. They obviously dont know what they are doing so LA can have its franchise!!!! *note blatant sarcasm*

Dude, these people get paid lots of money to make these decisions and Im willing to bet they know more than you do on the subject. Let it play out before we start calling it a bad move.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #116
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Let it play out before we start calling it a bad move.
I agree, you never know how a guy will react in a new system. We need to give this guy a few games or a season to show what he can do and how he will fit in before we label this move good or bad.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #117
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Sporting news radio said that the sportingnews him ranked very high as I was listening to their broadcast this last night. They were praising the move and said he had a rating with up with Claiborne and Gold (couple of pretty good linebackers). They had him rated at 7.something on their rating scale, and that rating figure was fairly high from what Kevin Wheeler was relaying. Juinor Seau's best sack year in the last 7 years is 3.5 The Dolphins do not ask their linebackers to sack the quarterback (the DE's do in a 4-3). Run and chase is what they wanted out of Greenwood. btw, Greenwood was the second leading tackler last year on a pretty good defense. Only Zach Thomas had more tackles.
Come on...dose of reality time...you got 3-4 people here who get to watch Miami games all the time(myself included), telling you he's not worth it. You got a group of Fins fans on another BB, telling you he's not worth it.Most of the time when a team loses a good-great player, the fans will say "MANAGEMENT!!!! ", I'm seeing none of this.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #118
MojoX
Veteran

Rep Power: 447 MojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Come on...dose of reality time...you got 3-4 people here who get to watch Miami games all the time(myself included), telling you he's not worth it. You got a group of Fins fans on another BB, telling you he's not worth it.Most of the time when a team loses a good-great player, the fans will say "MANAGEMENT!!!! ", I'm seeing none of this.
All those Miami fans have only said that Greenwood is not a playmaker. But the reality is that none of the Miami linebackers are statistically dominant playmakers because the Miami system doesn't ask them to be. Miami asks their LB core to stop the run and tackle. Greenwood did that.

Greenwood brings speed and coverage to the ILB, something that has been missing at the LB position. The guy is a solid tackler, has pursuit speed and can cover. That alone makes him an upgrade over Foreman. On top of that, in Capers scheme, just being fast will make him a legit blitz threat from the inside. So where is the complaint? Let's not be too hasty. Let's just see what else happens this off season. Given the draft, there is ample opportunity to further upgrade the LB core at both/either the inside or the outside.
MojoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005   #119
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Greenwood is small and rangy, but he cannot get away from a block and in four years as a starter only last year did he finally get over 100 tackles.
Horrible move--while we're at it, what were the pro-bowl people thinking. The pro-bowl OLB's this year only had 107, 101, 96, 62, 60 & 53 tackles--bunch of worthless hacks.

Psst--Morlon Greenwood 108 tackles.
Old 03-04-2005   #120
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Horrible move--while we're at it, what were the pro-bowl people thinking. The pro-bowl OLB's this year only had 107, 101, 96, 62, 60 & 53 tackles--bunch of worthless hacks.

Psst--Morlon Greenwood 108 tackles.
How silly that you left Derrick Brooks off that list...

Pssssst the Pro Bowl OLBs also had 3 Sacks, 5 INTs, 4 FFs and 17 PDs(Spikes)... 10.5 Sacks and 1 FF(Suggs)...7 Sacks, 3 FFs, 12 PDs and 1 INT(Porter)...2.5 Sacks, 2 FF, 3 INTs(Brooking)...I could continue...but the trend is rather obvious...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read