Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2005   #61
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayern
I hear this guy is awesome and totall underrated

Greenwood signs five-year, $22.5 million deal
You're kidding, right? If this guy and Payne are the big offseason moves it's gonna be another long year.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #62
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Not only that, but his production picked up because Seau went down. I know he was a total non-factor in both of the Fish games vs the Pats last season.
Actually, Seau plays LOLB and Greenwood plays ROLB. Seau didnt give him any tackles when he went down

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/MIA

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #63
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

This one we need to trust the Texans & Casserly on. I'm sure they've been targeting him from the beginning, now Miami is turning into our farm system. I'm sure its our gain & their loss, just like Todd Wade last year.

Now having said that one point that needs to be made is this- doesn't competition breed excellence? Clearly this makes the LB's the strength of the Texans team both talent and depth wise and isn't this suppose to be the bread and butter of the 3-4 defense. I'm not real familar with Marlon either but I am a draft junkie and I know he was a 3rd round pick out of Syracuse (88th) in 2001. Since we just had the combines some of you might be familar with these specifics 6ft, 237, 21 reps and ran a 4.67 40. I mean this kid sounds like a human flying cannonball. Last year he registered over 100 tackles.

The only problem I see is how there are going to be enough tackles to go around for all the linebackers to supplement their diets. Remember that little problem last year with stopping opposing offenses from converting 3rd downs? Watch cannonball run :woot
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #64
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyfro
another thing...a lot of people on this board have been wanting derrick johnson to be our first round pick...and projected him to the ILB position...we all agreed that johnson wasn't big enough to really project well in the 3-4 system and johnson and greenwood have similar bodies...just a thought
DJ has 4 inches and 4 years(younger) to get bigger than Greenwood. This isnt even taking into consideration the difference in the two's playmaking abilities..
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #65
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I think he came here to play inside linebacker (the buc), so this would not effect Peek.

From what i heard on the ride home switching between 610 and 790 this will move Wong Inside and have Greenwood taking his old position outside . which doesnt directly affect Peek but there was talk of moving Wong inside before this which wuold have moved Peek up the depth chart . Looks to me the odd man out is Foreman
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #66
DoCt3rJ
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to DoCt3rJ

You think we paid too much for Greenwood, look at Cowboys. They gave Anthony Henry a 5 year deal worth 25 mil and a 11mil signing bonus..... :O
DoCt3rJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
From what i heard on the ride home switching between 610 and 790 this will move Wong Inside and have Greenwood taking his old position outside . which doesnt directly affect Peek but there was talk of moving Wong inside before this which wuold have moved Peek up the depth chart . Looks to me the odd man out is Foreman
The Texans are having a press conf soon so that should clear it up.

Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2005   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
DJ has 4 inches and 4 years(younger) to get bigger than Greenwood. This isnt even taking into consideration the difference in the two's playmaking abilities..
Greenwood is the same size as Foreman (one inch shorter and the same weight).

Old 03-03-2005   #69
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Actually, Seau plays LOLB and Greenwood plays ROLB. Seau didnt give him any tackles when he went down

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/MIA
...Production in 8 games with Seau playing...Seau = 57 tackles, Greenwood = 42 Tackles.

Greenwood production in 8 games without Seau = 66.

I stick to my story, since I get about 10 Fish games on regional broadcast even without Sunday Ticket.
Old 03-03-2005   #70
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He had 108 tackles last year and was second on the team behind Zach Thomas. The Dolphins also had one tough defense although the rest of the team blew.

Greenwood is also 240 pounds so I'm not shure how you define "small" (Foreman is 240 also). That is plenty big for the Buc postion in our defense.
He is more of a speed player, really, I'd rather see him on the outside. Besides, the Miami run defense wasn't too great (31st in the league).

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #71
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Greenwood is the same size as Foreman (one inch shorter and the same weight).
???? Who said anything about Foreman??? The post(er) I quoted was talking about Derrick Johnson...sigh.
Old 03-03-2005   #72
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan281
He is more of a speed player, really, I'd rather see him on the outside. Besides, the Miami run defense wasn't too great (31st in the league).
We need speed at all our linebacker spots. Have you noticed how much we put them in coverage?

Old 03-03-2005   #73
Sarg01
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Who's said we'd start Greenwood over DJ? Let's get realistic though, the only shot we've got at DJ is if he hurts himself before the draft or we trade away our whole first day to get him.
Sarg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #74
Bayern
Veteran

Ahhh we're speculating both ways. No one here saw what Casserly and Co. saw in this guy at the workout the other day. I'm sure most of us as well didn't tune into enough games that this guy had with the Dolphins to make an accurate assessment. Lastly, as most of us know, a sold 3-4 goes after talent at the linebacker position EVERY year.

Trust Casserly and our scouts! They are excited about him and I'm excited to see what this guy can do.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need speed at all our linebacker spots. Have you noticed how much we put them in coverage?
Greenwood hasn't had too many sacks in his career, but I personally think he'd be a better 3-4 OLB because he has the potential to be a better pass rusher rather than a run stuffer. He isn't the world's greatest tackler. He would definitely be an improvement inside, though. That can't be denied. I just don't think we will place him there.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #76
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
The only problem I see is how there are going to be enough tackles to go around for all the linebackers to supplement their diets.

putting numbers in the win column will solve this problem .
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #77
tiger06
Veteran

Great signing! Our LB corps get stronger...
tiger06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #78
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

first i think putting in some speed in our linebacker corp is a great idea...after this past season our underachieving linebackers are getting shook up a bit...wong is getting to that unmagical number 30 and foreman hasn't lived up to be anything special unless your talking about special teams...greenwood is 26, fast, athletic, and is a new face in the texans linebacker corp...now we dont' know just yet if he's gonna be an ILB or an OLB but either way we just got a lot fast which is always a good thing because speed kills
Old 03-03-2005   #79
SESupergenius

This is going to be yet another very interesting preseason for the linebackers. I'm betting that Peek just isn't cutting it and so they are bringin in guys to fill that void. Wong is a smart player and yes he can cover very well so I think knowing that he is going to be at the ILB spot will give him more time to adjust. He's been the LOLB, ROLB, and ILB in 3 seasons now.

I still think we should have gone after Kendral Bell if we are going to shell out that kind of money for a LB. Bell still has very good upside and since he plays inside, one of major weaknesses, I thought it would be a natural fit. That would have left Wong happier on at the ROLB spot and Peek to prove himself in minicamp. Now, once again we are shuffling one of our linebackers and may end up with 2 spots on in our linebacking that were not there last year.
Old 03-03-2005   #80
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This was a much better pickup than Bell or Hartwell. Those 2 would have commanded $5 million this year alone along with whatever signing bonus it would take. Greenwood was never going to get the press in Miami with Thomas and then Seau in that LB group. Just because he wasn't a probowl player doesn't mean he isn't good. Dunta Robinson anyone?? I don't imagine Foreman will be on the team this year.

OLB- Babin, Peek, Greenwood, Anderson
ILB - Sharper, Wong, Polk, Orr

I'd rather go with the younger and less costly backups instead of Foreman.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read