Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-14-2010   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default What do our strongest units rank against rest of league?

I'm assuming everyone will think our strongest units for offense/defense are WR/LB respectively...

Where does our WR unit and LB unit rank in comparison to the rest of the NFL? Top 10, top 5, number one?

Do not just take into account the starting unit, but also the depth of competing units. The Texans are deep at WR/LB!!!
Old 02-14-2010   #2
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What do our strongest units rank against rest of league?

W.Rs has to be second to only the Pats. Pats have Moss and Welker and then don't forget Edleman that ripped up our defense last time. Our LBs have to be the best in the league. Demeco and Cushing? Thats just sickening.
Old 02-14-2010   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Can't forget about the Cards. Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet. Eagles with DJax, Maclin, Jason Avant. Pack have Driver, Jennings, James Jones. I'm probably forgetting a couple of other ones, too. I think the Texans are probably top 5-7 in WR.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys really think very highly of our WRs. Andre Johnson is in a class of his own but Walter and Jones have not accounted for as much as one would think considering Schaub's gaudy numbers. Our passing attack relies on our RBs and TEs just as much as our WRs. I'd rank us between 7 to 10 but what the hell do i know. I just don't think we have as an elite corps as it's beginning to sound. Mainly because the Texans could easily decide to upgrade some of our WRs in the upcoming draft. We could use improvement.
Old 02-15-2010   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
You guys really think very highly of our WRs. Andre Johnson is in a class of his own but Walter and Jones have not accounted for as much as one would think considering Schaub's gaudy numbers. Our passing attack relies on our RBs and TEs just as much as our WRs. I'd rank us between 7 to 10 but what the hell do i know. I just don't think we have as an elite corps as it's beginning to sound. Mainly because the Texans could easily decide to upgrade some of our WRs in the upcoming draft. We could use improvement.
I agree. After Andre, we don't have alot going for us besides Owen Daniels. Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones work for right now, but we don't have any young guys looking to get PT. Andre Davis is not doing anything anymore, and David Anderson will probably always be a strictly situational guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a WR in the 4th or 5th round this year, especially if we are able to somehow trade back and get more picks. Last year I thought they might pull the trigger on Jarrett Dillard out of Rice. He seemed like a savvy guy who could take advantage of this system.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, Nitro. We have a beast in AJ, then a handfull of your average WR's. I don't know if we'd use a pick on a WR, but I'd like to see a little upgrade there too. Will JJ continue to progress into a solid #2? Will K-dub bounce back if we were to re-sign?

I just noticed that we only have 6 WR's on the roster, including the PS. So, I expect we'll be bringing in a couple few more. Hopefully somebody can win the #2 outright.
Old 02-15-2010   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

The LB and WR unit are at least in the discussions for sure.

Anyone else agree that TE could very well be up there as well? I thought Dreessen was actually pretty good in the open field. Then you have potential in Hill and Casey. But it was Open Daniels who was lighting up the league with league leading numbers before he went down.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2010   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

In the top ten for both WR and LBs if you also include all the backups at those spots. Maybe even top five.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
In the top ten for both WR and LBs if you also include all the backups at those spots. Maybe even top five.
Again only referring to WRs... I think it's our backups that drag us down. Andre Davis, Glenn Martinez, David Anderson and Jacoby Jones are an average backup corp. To be called elite... You can't be worried about the TEAM if Andre Johnson goes down. Davis filled in admirably two years ago but he didn't do any running after the catch. I'd call that us undervaluing Matt Schaub more than anything else back then.
Old 02-15-2010   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

is QB a unit? cuz if so that's the strongest offensive unit...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #11
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
is QB a unit? cuz if so that's the strongest offensive unit...
That was my immediate thought then i reread TRJ's post. We have to consider our depth. Our depth there looks pretty gross and i mean that literally.
Old 02-15-2010   #12
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
That was my immediate thought then i reread TRJ's post. We have to consider our depth. Our depth there looks pretty gross and i mean that literally.
Zing!

But if you think about it, our 2nd and 3rd string QBs are both former starters, one was a starter in a SB. That has to account for something. At least we don't have two players who haven't played in a game before.
Old 02-15-2010   #13
Bronco Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 29 Bronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedBronco Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Bronco Texan Send a message via Yahoo to Bronco Texan

Quote:
Yeah, but except for maybe the Vikings and Eagles the rest of the League's depth is pretty bad too. So in that case I'd say we are at least in the top 10 for QBs.
Bronco Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

QB - top 7

WR - top 5 (MIN, ARI, PHI, GB other 4)

TE - top 5

LB - the best 4-3 LB crew, top 5 in NFL if 3-4's are factored in

DE - top 10
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Truth be told... The QB position is not really a unit therefore it cannot be fairly ranked.
Old 02-16-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Truth be told... The QB position is not really a unit therefore it cannot be fairly ranked.
I shoulda put an asterisk stating your starting QB is a one man unit. You don't wanna have a quarterbacking unit I suppose-whats the saying, if you have 2 quarterbacks you don't have any?
Old 02-16-2010   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I shoulda put an asterisk stating your starting QB is a one man unit. You don't wanna have a quarterbacking unit I suppose-whats the saying, if you have 2 quarterbacks you don't have any?
Then i think you've got Matt Schaub ranked a little low. Note that i said Schaub not the Texans QBs. Schaub's pretty good.
Old 02-16-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Then i think you've got Matt Schaub ranked a little low. Note that i said Schaub not the Texans QBs. Schaub's pretty good.
I've gained a rep for being a bit too much of a so I'm trying to scale back a bit. This is what I'm working on this offseason haha.
Old 02-16-2010   #19
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
QB - top 7

WR - top 5 (MIN, ARI, PHI, GB other 4)

TE - top 5

LB - the best 4-3 LB crew, top 5 in NFL if 3-4's are factored in

DE - top 10
Are you talking about the 1 and 2 WR tandems from teams? Or are you factoring in all WR options as a corps?
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
Are you talking about the 1 and 2 WR tandems from teams? Or are you factoring in all WR options as a corps?
I know you're responding to m5kwatts. I'd like to chime in. I 'm going to assume your question has to do with the Saints not being on his list. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about tandems or corps when it comes to the Saints. They definitely should be ranked right up there on top either way. Brees has a lot more to do with the Saints ariel attack because of his immaculate accuracy but how does a team find gold like they did with Colston in the 7th round and not be in the talks. The Saints have a great great WR corps for today's NFL. They're definitely super!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read