Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-13-2010   #1
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10190 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected
Default free agents that caught my eye

theres is alot of good free agents that i would take a look at if i was smithak

heres just a few

rbs

1 Chester Taylor, RB, Vikings. Age: 30.
Chester Taylor has been one of the top reserve running backs in the NFL over the past few years. He can run in between the tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield. The problem is that he'll be 31 in September.

2 Kevin Faulk, RB, Patriots. Age: 34.
A reliable third-down back, Kevin Faulk averaged 5.4 YPC and caught 37 balls in 2009. Even at 34, Faulk should be brought back as an important piece in New England's offense.

WR
1 Brandon Marshall (RFA), WR, Broncos. Age: 26.
Brandon Marshall is one of the most talented receivers in the NFL. He's a head case, but he's well worth the trouble. I DOUPT HE would wana be a #2 wr tho

2 Nate Burleson, WR, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Nate Burleson is coming off a very solid year, catching 63 balls for 812 yards in 13 games. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that once Burleson signs an overpriced contract, he'll revert to Sloth Mode.

center

1 Kevin Mawae, C, Titans. Age: 39.
Even at 39, Kevin Mawae just keeps getting it done. He's not the center he once was, but he's still playing at a high level.

he is a must sign

defencive tackles
these dt are beter then what we could get from the draft

Casey Hampton, NT, Steelers. Age: 32.
Casey Hampton isn't the player he used to be, but he's still one of the top nose tackles in the NFL. He'll be 33 on Sept. 3.

Aubrayo Franklin, NT, 49ers. Age: 30.
Aubrayo Franklin had a great year - something that pretty much came out of nowhere. Was he playing for a big signing bonus?

Ryan Pickett, NT, Packers. Age: 30.
Ryan Pickett thrived in Green Bay's new 3-4. He'll be a hot commodity; talented nose tackles are rare and always in demand.

cb

Leigh Bodden, CB, Patriots. Age: 28.
What I wrote last year: "One of the top press corners in the NFL, Leigh Bodden struggled last year because Matt Millen foolishly decided that Bodden could play in a zone scheme. Chad Ochocinco recently called Bodden the top corner in the NFL." Well, Bodden just had an amazing season and should be awarded with a massive contract.

safty

Darren Sharper, FS, Saints. Age: 34.
Darren Sharper's age is a concern, but he still has one or two years left of top productivity. Sharper is one of the smartest defensive players in the NFL, and would be a huge upgrade for almost any secondary.

kicker

Sebastian Janikowski, K, Raiders. Age: 32.
Sebastian Janikowski nailed 24-of-27 field goal attempts in 2009, including a whopping 6-of-8 from 50-plus. Kind of makes you wonder how all of those teams in the first round passed on him before he fell to Al Davis.

Jeff Reed, K, Steelers. Age: 31.
Jeff Reed has failed to hit at least 82.8 percent of his field goals only once since 2004. This is really impressive considering that he's kicking at Heinz Field, one of the toughest kicking venues in the NFL.

guard

Bobbie Williams, G, Bengals. Age: 33.
At 345 pounds, Bobbie Williams is a dominant mauler. He's also a great guy in the locker room. The only concern is age (34 on Sept. 25).

Rob Sims, G, Seahawks. Age: 26.
One of the few bright spots on Seattle's offensive line.
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #2
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 1808 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: free agents that caught my eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
theres is alot of good free agents that i would take a look at if i was smithak

heres just a few

rbs

Chester Taylor has been one of the top reserve running backs in the NFL over the past few years. He can run in between the tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield. The problem is that he'll be 31 in September.

A reliable third-down back, Kevin Faulk averaged 5.4 YPC and caught 37 balls in 2009. Even at 34, Faulk should be brought back as an important piece in New England's offense.

WR
Brandon Marshall is one of the most talented receivers in the NFL. He's a head case, but he's well worth the trouble. I DOUPT HE would wana be a #2 wr tho

Nate Burleson is coming off a very solid year, catching 63 balls for 812 yards in 13 games. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that once Burleson signs an overpriced contract, he'll revert to Sloth Mode.

center

Even at 39, Kevin Mawae just keeps getting it done. He's not the center he once was, but he's still playing at a high level.

he is a must sign

defencive tackles
these dt are beter then what we could get from the draft

Casey Hampton isn't the player he used to be, but he's still one of the top nose tackles in the NFL. He'll be 33 on Sept. 3.

Aubrayo Franklin had a great year - something that pretty much came out of nowhere. Was he playing for a big signing bonus?

Ryan Pickett thrived in Green Bay's new 3-4. He'll be a hot commodity; talented nose tackles are rare and always in demand.

cb

What I wrote last year: "One of the top press corners in the NFL, Leigh Bodden struggled last year because Matt Millen foolishly decided that Bodden could play in a zone scheme. Chad Ochocinco recently called Bodden the top corner in the NFL." Well, Bodden just had an amazing season and should be awarded with a massive contract.

safty

Darren Sharper's age is a concern, but he still has one or two years left of top productivity. Sharper is one of the smartest defensive players in the NFL, and would be a huge upgrade for almost any secondary.

kicker

Sebastian Janikowski nailed 24-of-27 field goal attempts in 2009, including a whopping 6-of-8 from 50-plus. Kind of makes you wonder how all of those teams in the first round passed on him before he fell to Al Davis.

Jeff Reed has failed to hit at least 82.8 percent of his field goals only once since 2004. This is really impressive considering that he's kicking at Heinz Field, one of the toughest kicking venues in the NFL.

guard

At 345 pounds, Bobbie Williams is a dominant mauler. He's also a great guy in the locker room. The only concern is age (34 on Sept. 25).

One of the few bright spots on Seattle's offensive line.
Good Post Kid , good to see ur paying a little more attention in class.Id love to have Brandon Marshall but never gonna happen.Nice to dream tho.............
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #3
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearSuperMario View Post
Good Post Kid , good to see ur paying a little more attention in class.Id love to have Brandon Marshall but never gonna happen.Nice to dream tho.............
agreed he'd be ridiculous to have across from Dre but ole Bob doesn't do questionable character and drama queen receivers.

i'd love to have Janikowski most out of that list in all honesty.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #4
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatonisabeast View Post
kicker

Al Davis was the only personnel man crazy enough to take a kicker with a
1st round draft pick, although Janikowski was a phenom coming out of
Florida State.
Old 02-14-2010   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Pats don't franchise him (which is not very likely) we could pry him away from the Pats. For the money that we will have put out to franchise Dunta Robinson x 2 years, we can throw some decent money to a top notch CB.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #6
Line_Producer
Party Rocker

Rep Power: 120 Line_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respectedLine_Producer is a quality contributor and well respected

rbs
Both these backs are over aged 3rd down backs, though Taylor used to have 1000 yard rushing seasons. No thanks. We've tried that.

WR
I'd love to have either of these guys actually, though the Broncos will get something in trade for Marshall. And part of the reason that Nate caught so many balls is that the only other weapon on their offense is John Carleson.

center
he is a must sign <-- for the Titans. To get him we'd have to throw a multi year contract at him. Not going to happen at 39.

defencive tackles
Stop me if I'm wrong, but don't all of these fellows play in a 3-4?

cb
I would love to get this guy away from the patriots. I don't know if he would arrive any cheaper than Dunta, but he sure as hell ain't injured.

safty
He fits the Saint's scheme perfectly. Not only is he older, but I don't believe that he would match up as well in a different scheme. Greg Williams uses him perfectly.

kicker
Bring Sebas here! No way that the raiders get rid of him. He's actually the highest scoring Raider...ever...
Only one bad season? That's what they said about Kris Brown too...

guard
I don't know anything about this guy. Just sounds older and he'd have to learn a new blocking scheme.

Hmm...again, don't know him, count me in.
Line_Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #7
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans will not sign any free agents of any significance, certainly not a starter. We have too many of our own future free agents that need or will need new contracts.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2010   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The Texans will not sign any free agents of any significance, certainly not a starter. We have too many of our own future free agents that need or will need new contracts.
That was the case last year as well and we still signed Antonio Smith.

Guys I like:

Leigh Bodden
Antrel Rolle (he's likely to be cut!)
Ryan Pickett
Aaron Kampman
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That was the case last year as well and we still signed Antonio Smith.

Guys I like:

Leigh Bodden
Antrel Rolle (he's likely to be cut!)
Ryan Pickett
Aaron Kampman
That wasn't the case last year, resigning our own was much less of a pressing need which is why we let OD and Demeco dangle in the wind (and still are). Throw in Walter and Pitts, Pollard and Diles will need raises eventually, we have too many of our own that will command raises to be spending any free agent money of significance.
Old 02-15-2010   #10
record
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 record is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respectedrecord is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans will sign at least one FA interior offensive lineman. I think they will draft some in the middle rounds as well, but they won't see much if any playing time as rookies. I don't see them giving a big money contract to a UFA nor do I see them signing a RFA which requires them to compensate with draft picks. Going by their history and stated goals, I would assume it would be someone on the younger side of 30, who they can get at a relatively good price, and has ZB skills. I believe whether they target a G or C in FA depends on where they plan to play Caldwell next season, although where he plays may be determined by who they get in FA. I think someone on the following list will be a Texan next year:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/13/f...linemen/#cntnt

I would love for the Texans to sign Mawae, but I don't see that happening. Who do ya'll think are the most likely OL to be targeted by the Texans in FA?
record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd use the 5th or 6th rounder we got for TJ to get G Chris Kuper if he's tendered that low. I doubt he will though, unless McDaniels under values him.
Old 02-15-2010   #12
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1969 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Aubrayo Franklin, can probably be removed from this list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4916593

Quote:

Only 10 days from the deadline for teams to franchise players, the first prospective free agent is about to be removed from the market.

The 49ers will franchise defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin, according to NFL sources. The franchise tag for defensive tackles this year is $7 million, and teams must designate their franchise players by Feb. 25.

Until the tag is applied to Franklin, the 49ers will try to work out a long-term contract for their standout defensive tackle.

Their newest long-term offer for Franklin is expected to come in this week. However, one league source highly doubted that any type of long-term agreement could be struck and the 49ers will franchise Franklin, who would have been one of the most desirable free agents had he been allowed to test the market.

It is what could be the start in a string of franchise tags for defensive tackles. The New England Patriots are reportedly expected to slap their franchise tag on defensive tackle Vince Wilfork and the Pittsburgh Steelers could do the same with defensive tackle Casey Hampton.

At the age of 29, Franklin specializes in freeing up blockers for 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis. Franklin started all 16 games for the 49ers last season and had 36 tackles.
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=record;1365819]I think the Texans will sign at least one FA interior offensive lineman. I think they will draft some in the middle rounds as well, but they won't see much if any playing time as rookies. I don't see them giving a big money contract to a UFA nor do I see them signing a RFA which requires them to compensate with draft picks. Going by their history and stated goals, I would assume it would be someone on the younger side of 30, who they can get at a relatively good price, and has ZB skills. I believe whether they target a G or C in FA depends on where they plan to play Caldwell next season, although where he plays may be determined by who they get in FA. I think someone on the following list will be a Texan next year:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/13/f...linemen/#cntnt

I would love for the Texans to sign Mawae, but I don't see that happening. Who do ya'll think are the most likely OL to be targeted by the Texans in FA?[/QUOTE]Chester Pitts.
Old 02-15-2010   #14
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Aubrayo Franklin, can probably be removed from this list:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4916593
Didnt realize we were 10 days away from the deadline.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Take Janikowski off the list. He signed a 4 year deal with Oakland.

www.kffl.com
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Not free agent news but DT Kyle Williams of the Bills could be available via trade. He'd fit in perfectly here.

Quote:
Where a talented player like Kyle Williams fits is tough to say as he does not appear to be the typical two-gap nose tackle in a 3-4 system. But those decisions are up to Edwards and his defensive staff and they do not intend to miscast talented players.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...9-62b253d14305

Could be a casualty of not fitting the Bills new 3-4 look.
Old 02-17-2010   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

He's not on this list but if you have him on your list you can scratch off Richard Seymour. Raiders say they are going to franchise him if no long term deal can get done.

Raiders | Will use franchise tag on Seymour if no long-term deal
Comment (0)
Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:19:08 -0800

Updating a previous report, David White, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders will place the franchise tag on impending free-agent DE Richard Seymour if they are not able to reach an agreement on a long-term contract, according to a source.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I do not get why Oakland wants to keep Seamore he is good but I do not think he is in their long term plans. I might be wrong though.
Old 02-17-2010   #19
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

not sold on leigh bodden
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chester Taylor is a shoe in for us. Mark it down. Taylor + Spiller is a good sounding tandem.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read