Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-13-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Have we designated a transition player?

Saw that Feb 11th was the day all teams can designate a transition player for the Franchise Player option. Didn't know if I missed something.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Have we designated a transition player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Saw that Feb 11th was the day all teams can designate a transition player for the Franchise Player option. Didn't know if I missed something.
You haven't missed anything. I don't expect us to use the tags at all this season if it's not on Dumbta. We should know something concrete fairly soon. Can someone confirm when FA begins? I believe it to be March 3rd but i'm only going off the top of my head.
Old 02-13-2010   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
You haven't missed anything. I don't expect us to use the tags at all this season if it's not on Dumbta. We should know something concrete fairly soon. Can someone confirm when FA begins? I believe it to be March 3rd but i'm only going off the top of my head.
I heard the 5th.... don't hold me to it though.

*edit: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ffseason-dates
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
I heard the 5th.... don't hold me to it though.

*edit: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ffseason-dates
I appreciate that. Thanks! So it looks like we should know by the 25th of this month. Offseason's chugging on. A nice spread out offseason schedule. It's not football Sunday but i'll take it.
Old 02-13-2010   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

The transition tag is almost useless and very rarely used.
Old 02-13-2010   #6
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, I think I've only seen it..... once in 3 years?
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #7
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Then what's the point of it? It's a sincere question. I'm not sure exactly. I think that the transitions and franchising are very expensive and similar. Would i be wrong in thinking that?
Old 02-13-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Then what's the point of it? It's a sincere question. I'm not sure exactly. I think that the transitions and franchising are very expensive and similar. Would i be wrong in thinking that?
With a franchise tag there is a right to match an offer sheet. If you don't match then you get an incredibly steep payment of 2 1st round picks. With a transition tag you get a right to match but if you don't there is no compensation at all. With creative contract writing you can make matching almost impossible. Just insert a clause like you will be highest paid on the team when you know the original team has Peyton Manning on it or if you play more than 5 games in TN you get a bonus of $20 mil.
Old 02-13-2010   #9
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

The "Poison Pill" hasn't been used since the Hutchinson/Burleson FA season. I haven't seen any official announcement on the NFL's decision, but with its lack of current use, my guess is the NFL contract arbiter was told to not allow those contracts, and the owners were made aware of the change.

There must be something that happened to ban it's use. Otherwise you would think that a low pick team would be happy to give up a 1st and 3rd for a player like Demeco Ryans. (Think of the saints giving up the slightly higher value of a 2nd and 4th for a pro-bowl LB in his prime.)

The concept of the transition tag, is that team and player are disputing the player's value, but the team really wants to sign their guy. The transition tag allows the open market to set the price of the player, without draft compensation getting in the way.

The transition tag saves just a million or so on the one year payout (average of top 10, rather than top 5), but there is no draft compensation if financial terms are not matched. The real advantage in the 2010 season is that teams can apply two tags, rather than one.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
The "Poison Pill" hasn't been used since the Hutchinson/Burleson FA season. I haven't seen any official announcement on the NFL's decision, but with its lack of current use, my guess is the NFL contract arbiter was told to not allow those contracts, and the owners were made aware of the change.
It hasn't been changed but one would think it would be part of the new CBA talks.
Old 02-14-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets put the tag on C.Brown

LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read