Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-01-2005   #1
Paragon Blue
Veteran

Default Ron Dayne

Adam Shefter from NFL network was reporting that the Texans were interested in aquiring Ron Dayne. What do you guys think? Change of pace from DD.
Paragon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #2
TheTim5125
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TheTim5125

he was a first round pick who in my opinion never got a shot to play playing behind tiki barber... i think it'd be a good pick up
Old 03-01-2005   #3
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdantexfan
Adam Shefter from NFL network was reporting that the Texans were interested in aquiring Ron Dayne. What do you guys think? Change of pace from DD.
I saw that too, they would share a good amount of time together in my opinion, unless the unthinkable happens and DD comes out and puts up 2000 yards next season Lmf@o. I really like how Wells ran the ball last year though, he proved to me that he is a solid backup and I would like to see him stay especially once the O-Line takes that next step and improves more on the run blocking.
Old 03-01-2005   #4
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

If people around here think DD is a goalline back...I wonder what that would make Dayne with us...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless he comes cheap.. I dont like it. Im not sold on his talent.. and im not so sure he would be better than wells.

Wells has the funky "spin move power running" style.. Dane has a funky "feet shuffling, slow hole hitting power running" style.

give me LaMont Jordan or giving me no one at all.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #6
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Unless he comes cheap.. I dont like it. Im not sold on his talent.. and im not so sure he would be better than wells.

Wells has the funky "spin move power running" style.. Dane has a funky "feet shuffling, slow hole hitting power running" style.

I drool at the thought of Jordan and DD as running backs for us.
Old 03-02-2005   #7
TexansJunkE
Veteran

I really think we won't pick a back up in FA. I think that they are hoping to nab a back in the draft. Dare a say .............Benson? He may fall with the great work outs by the other two backs.
TexansJunkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2005   #8
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Well then you shall recieve nothing..

Quote:
-- Jordan Flying to Oakland --
Wed Mar 2, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Oakland Raiders contacted free-agent RB LaMont Jordan (Jets) and convinced him to fly to Oakland to try to get him signed today. The Jets have a very strong offer on the table to keep him, but the Dolphins and Bucs are also in pursuit. The Raiders are currently $2.3 million under the cap, but they have to clear more space to fit in the Moss contract and even more to do Jordan. Among the guys who could get cut are DT John Parrella and OG Ron Stone.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Dayne would be a good pick up. I agree with Grid about Lamont Jordon though.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #10
Gilly
Rookie

I agree with Grid on this one. I think Wells did a heck of a job last year and prove to be a Quality back up. unless he comes really cheap, No Thanks.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #11
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

That LaMont Jordan thing was finished when he said he wanted to be an every down back...he wouldn't get every down here. Grid, I know u have a man-crush on L-Jordan, but sadly, he won't come here.

LIKE I SAID IN DECEMBER...DRAFT Kay-Jay Harris and shut up about Running Backs.
Old 03-02-2005   #12
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I would rather have A-train from chi town, he is younger and has had a lot more play time than Dayne.
Old 03-02-2005   #13
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I would rather have A-train from chi town, he is younger and has had a lot more play time than Dayne.
Depends on who costs more. I think Dayne is a better fit. The guy had a great preseason last and seemed to be refreshed. I'd go after him if not just as an upgrade to Wells alone.
Old 03-02-2005   #14
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

you know the thing about jordon and thomas is they want to come in and be the main back...and they want main back money...dayne will come for the vet. minimum with a contract with bonuses stating that if he gains such and such yards he gets more money...dayne has a lot to prove to the nfl...he took a great step this past season showing up to griants training camp slimmer and more fit...i think if he can keep his weight in check he can be a real monster of a runningback...but i also think going with harris in the draft would be the better option...the only thing to remember there is no garentee you can get a certain back in the draft...casserly might be thinking better to get this guy than hope for this other guy to be there in the draft
Old 03-02-2005   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure that I see enough of a performance difference to make this a good thing to do. Wells did fairly well last year in the backup role and Dayne did well in pre-season, but neither one is outstanding or feature back qualified IMO. So, do we go through this drill just for another "OK" backup type back? Or, might we be 86ing Hollings? In truth, Hollings has shown squat IMO and the coaches may be done with him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Next years backs will be Dom, Hollings and _______ and _______. No way they have given up on Hollings. Hollings was in a ton of special teams packages last year and that is exactly how the Bronco's groom their backs early in their careers.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Id say Wells and that other RB that looked so good in preseason last year that got hurt . cant ever remember his name.

Anywho.. about Jordan. if we were to sign him he WOULD be an every down back. Well.. close enough anyway. He would be our Curtis Martin, and DD would be our LaMont Jordan.

If the Raiders sign him that will suck.. but oh well.. there are other backs to be had. And besides.. if our runblocking continues to work like it did at the end of the season, then DD will be all the back we need.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #18
titan hater
Veteran

i disagree on hollings vinny....dude gets hurt getting out of bed...if they can get rd they should...however, if wells stays he is a good enough back up untill dd gets off ir.
titan hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005   #19
SESupergenius

Hollings is on the verge of being a bust. Can't stay healthy and may tend to cough up the rock. No need to drag it out any further.
Old 03-02-2005   #20
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Close to Acquiring Dayne - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:43:35 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Houston Texans are close to acquiring RB Ron Dayne (Giants) from the New York Giants. A deal could be announced as early as Wednesday, March 2.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read