Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-12-2010   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default trade scenario for Texans

Charlie Pallilo recently mentioned on 790 radio that he would not be surprised to see Washington or Seattle throw ridiculous money at Dunta R. I think I have read that if restricted Texans could accept 1st & 3rd picks for him. I do not see any team doing that but..could Smith play these two teams off each other to get the best offer? I sure would like a 2. We don't have to just allow him to walk and can remove the tag for a trade and then use tag for another player. I can see both Owen Daniels and Demeco getting tagged if no deal reached.
Old 02-12-2010   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: trade scenario for Texans

Somebody is going to pay DR. And it wont be cheap. The Texans are in a tough spot here.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not exactly sure how all the tags work but we'd have to work out the trade before we franchised him and Dunta is definitely not worth franchise money. We could put the transition tag on him to save us or the other team some money and make his contract and trade more sensible, then take Kyle Wilson in the 1st round. I think Washington would be more likely to spend stupid money on Dunta and I'd be happy to take their 2nd round pick this year for him.

That would be a major trade deal for Smith to pull off and I just don't see him being able to sell that kind of deal.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I'm not exactly sure how all the tags work but we'd have to work out the trade before we franchised him and Dunta is definitely not worth franchise money. We could put the transition tag on him to save us or the other team some money and make his contract and trade more sensible, then take Kyle Wilson in the 1st round. I think Washington would be more likely to spend stupid money on Dunta and I'd be happy to take their 2nd round pick this year for him.

That would be a major trade deal for Smith to pull off and I just don't see him being able to sell that kind of deal.
My understanding is a team can tag a player and then remove the tag to use on another player if they want to release the player, trade him or sign for a long term deal. If correct, you do not have to work the trade before tagging him as he is restricted. I think this is what we did when we got Schaub who was a restricted FA but not tagged as franchise. We worked out the trade for two seconds.

The other team's position would be to hold out hoping we allowed him to walk. Our position is we paid him once, watch us do it again. If you want him, make the trade.
Old 02-12-2010   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Its Tag day in NFL …
as usual GBN has a little primer on it's front page...no need to "think"

http://www.gbnreport.com/

Haven't you seen enough to believe that he's not worth 9 million ? Uncertainty might just be a better deal in this case.
Old 02-13-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Charlie Pallilo recently mentioned on 790 radio that he would not be surprised to see Washington or Seattle throw ridiculous money at Dunta R. I think I have read that if restricted Texans could accept 1st & 3rd picks for him. I do not see any team doing that but..could Smith play these two teams off each other to get the best offer? I sure would like a 2. We don't have to just allow him to walk and can remove the tag for a trade and then use tag for another player. I can see both Owen Daniels and Demeco getting tagged if no deal reached.
Dunta will not be restricted even under the no cba rules. He has six years in the league. The only option is whether or not to franchise him again. That franchise tag price would be 20% over last year's. The stated compensation would be two 1sts but teams can negotiate that down.
Old 02-15-2010   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dunta will not be restricted even under the no cba rules. He has six years in the league. The only option is whether or not to franchise him again. That franchise tag price would be 20% over last year's. The stated compensation would be two 1sts but teams can negotiate that down.
When I posted that I was thinking five years. I should have checked. But am I not correct that we can franchise and then remove if traded?
Old 02-15-2010   #8
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272750 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When I posted that I was thinking five years. I should have checked. But am I not correct that we can franchise and then remove if traded?
What happens is a team that doesn't want to pay two first round picks will agree in principle to a contract but it will not be signed. Then the team will contact the original team and see if a lower draft pick compensation can be agreed to. If they can the original team will sign the player to the contract terms the new team and player agreed upon and then trade that contract/player to the new team for the agreed upon price.
Old 02-15-2010   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What happens is a team that doesn't want to pay two first round picks will agree in principle to a contract but it will not be signed. Then the team will contact the original team and see if a lower draft pick compensation can be agreed to. If they can the original team will sign the player to the contract terms the new team and player agreed upon and then trade that contract/player to the new team for the agreed upon price.
Agreed. So my scenario of getting a pick for Dunta is possible? I really don't want him on the team but can see him going to Washington.
Old 02-16-2010   #10
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. So my scenario of getting a pick for Dunta is possible? I really don't want him on the team but can see him going to Washington.
No way does Shanny pick up Dunta.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Again I did not originate this, Charlie Pallilo mentioned it. Snyder has paid huge sums to other so-so free agents.
Old 02-16-2010   #12
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again I did not originate this, Charlie Pallilo mentioned it. Snyder has paid huge sums to other so-so free agents.
It wasn't well thought out then. I don't see Shanny overcoming the Denver connection cronyism to pull the trigger. Now, Seattle, maybe... Or a division rival...
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I won't say no way. But I will say it will be interesting three years down the road and compare the Washington roster as of today with the Texans roster of 2006. And then compare the number of player spots differential three years down the road with the Washington in 2013 as to the Texans roster of 2009. I think Shanahan will have to take a wrecking ball to it over the next three years, myself. They are paying for all the reckless drafts of years past. And one untimely death. Which I think will pretty much kill "if a new coach comes in here he won't shake up the roster " argument featured in the pink soap thread.
Old 02-17-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
It wasn't well thought out then. I don't see Shanny overcoming the Denver connection cronyism to pull the trigger. Now, Seattle, maybe... Or a division rival...
Not sure what you mean about Denver connection. Gary says "hey buddy, we like DR but we want to draft a younger guy in the first and don't want to pay the $ or go through the whole PR thing over a long term contract. Give me your second and Snyder will pay Dunta more than McNair."
Old 02-17-2010   #15
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Taggem and baggem. We need as much depth as possible here while working on a DT, interior OL, RB, and safety as priorities.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Taggem and baggem. We need as much depth as possible here while working on a DT, interior OL, RB, and safety as priorities.
How about a trade down getting a lower 1st and another 2nd to go with our own 2nd. Then we get a 2nd for DR. We could easily get 4 very qualified players and the imo draft JD Walton a center from Baylor.
Old 02-17-2010   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about a trade down getting a lower 1st and another 2nd to go with our own 2nd. Then we get a 2nd for DR. We could easily get 4 very qualified players and the imo draft JD Walton a center from Baylor.
If we were offered a second, then I would probably take it. BUT, this team and this coaching staff have to win NOW. If we lose DR, then CB becomes one of the highest priorities in the draft and the unit loses its only real vet and leader other than Reeves. It takes a while for a rookie CB to gain the coaches trust imo... and I just think that this D while may be better off in the long run, would be set back for 2010.

You have to weigh it out...would a 1st or 2nd round pick on a CB.... be better for this team THIS YEAR at that position... rather than just keeping D-Rob and seeing if the he can be even better being a full season removed from those devastating injuries. Or do it, and have other positions then take a back seat to the elevated CB priority and resulting in an extremely youthful and unproven CB unit to boot.

To me, this team is better tagging DR and checking that need off the list so to speak and focusing on holes that currently exist. Especially with the youth we have at that posish and with the money we threw at Reeves already.
Old 02-17-2010   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
If we were offered a second, then I would probably take it. BUT, this team and this coaching staff have to win NOW. If we lose DR, then CB becomes one of the highest priorities in the draft and the unit loses its only real vet and leader other than Reeves. It takes a while for a rookie CB to gain the coaches trust imo... and I just think that this D while may be better off in the long run, would be set back for 2010.

You have to weigh it out...would a 1st or 2nd round pick on a CB.... be better for this team THIS YEAR at that position... rather than just keeping D-Rob and seeing if the he can be even better being a full season removed from those devastating injuries. Or do it, and have other positions then take a back seat to the elevated CB priority and resulting in an extremely youthful and unproven CB unit to boot.

To me, this team is better tagging DR and checking that need off the list so to speak and focusing on holes that currently exist. Especially with the youth we have at that posish and with the money we threw at Reeves already.
I think DR has lost his leadership role and his popularity with fans. Be prepared for same routine from him as last year despite his recent comments. He was not worth $10 m this season nor will he be worth $12m next season. Bennett and Quin are two recent rookies who started at CB and Kubes recently was very positive about Quin's ability. There are two CBs for sure that could start game one. Haden and Kyle Wilson. A third possible is Perrish Cox who has the skills but discipline bothers the coaches. The last two will be there for us.
Old 02-18-2010   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
I think DR has lost his leadership role and his popularity with fans. Be prepared for same routine from him as last year despite his recent comments. He was not worth $10 m this season nor will he be worth $12m next season. Bennett and Quin are two recent rookies who started at CB and Kubes recently was very positive about Quin's ability. There are two CBs for sure that could start game one. Haden and Kyle Wilson. A third possible is Perrish Cox who has the skills but discipline bothers the coaches. The last two will be there for us.
Im not really worried about the cost for DR.... especially this year. Its a one year tag. And you dont know if DR will get better or not this year, or if he will regain the fans or if he still has an effect as a leader or not. But typically after a big time injury year 2 is better than year 1.... and DR was a pretty damn good player in my mind before he went down.

Again, this team has to win right now. And tagging DR plays more to that theme than taking him out of the equation and replacing him with more unknowns and risks imo. I am done waiting 2+ years on rookies to hit their stride. We have just enough holes to fill with rookies already without creating another one at the CB position.
Old 02-18-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

McNair recently said he will operate the team budget as if there was a cap this year and it was noted on another thread that Smith has not discussed a long term deal nor the franchise tag with DR.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read