Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

View Poll Results: Round 1 Selection
(C) Maurkice Pouncey, Florida 0 0%
(OG) Mike Upati, Idaho 8 13.56%
(OT) Charles Brown, USC 0 0%
(WR) Damian Williams, USC 0 0%
(RB) Jahvid Best, California / Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech 6 10.17%
(NT) Dan Williams, Tennessee 10 16.95%
(DT) Brian Price, UCLA 1 1.69%
(OLB) Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri 1 1.69%
(CB) Patrick Robinson, Florida State / Donovan Warren, Michigan / Kyle Wilson, Boise State 14 23.73%
(S) Taylor Mays, USC / Earl Thomas, Texas 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First Round Selection Consensus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
So what's your point? You want a RB taken in the 1st? I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.
I think Spiller for sure maybe Dwyer depending how he runs are 1st round picks .

In the 2nd you can get Matthews , Best , Gerhart , Dixon , and someone that I've forgot .

After that you still have a host of folks including Blount .
Old 02-16-2010   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think Spiller for sure maybe Dwyer depending how he runs are 1st round picks .

In the 2nd you can get Matthews , Best , Gerhart , Dixon , and someone that I've forgot .

After that you still have a host of folks including Blount .
I was referring to the possibility of the Texans taking a RB in the first round. I just don't see it happening.
Old 02-16-2010   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was referring to the possibility of the Texans taking a RB in the first round. I just don't see it happening.
Nope ... that's probably not a bad thing either .

Is it me or is Peterson starting to feel all the hits after 3 years .
Old 02-16-2010   #24
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Iupati does not fit into the ZBS so I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. Especially with a guy like Mike Johnson available in the 2nd round. We also do not need to waste a 1st on a RB or WR. Dan Williams is a nice pick and if he's not available then Brian Price is okay. If Dunta leaves in FA then we need a CB, but CB is deep this year. If Thomas is available we need to take him. Weatherspoon is interesting. He would play WLB for us and in 2-3 years that would give us one of the best LB corps in the league. We have bigger needs though.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #25
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Nope ... that's probably not a bad thing either .

Is it me or is Peterson starting to feel all the hits after 3 years .
I reckon he probably is, just like any RB would than runs the way he does. Maybe it's just me, but I think RB's can be had throughout the draft. Unless there's a "once in a lifetime RB", I'll pass on choosing one in the 1st.
Old 02-16-2010   #26
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
I reckon he probably is, just like any RB would than runs the way he does. Maybe it's just me, but I think RB's can be had throughout the draft. Unless there's a "once in a lifetime RB", I'll pass on choosing one in the 1st.
Once in a lifetime backs are a hit away from being a dime a dozen back and that's the problem . Priest Holmes looked like a once in a lifetime back running behind Roaf and Shields . That would be my preference , build a line , but I'm not sure that will happen yet .

Having said this , I hold Earl and Walter in high esteem because they really didn't have much around them at first . They still ran hard and gained yards even though the defense keyed solely on them .
Old 02-16-2010   #27
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Im surpised that many people didnt pick Mike Upati, he is awsome and we need to improve our OL.
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-16-2010   #28
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Changed my mind

If Williams, Iupati and Dwyer are on the board at 20, I would pick Williams. He's going to be a stud.

I would also try to trade back into the bottom 1st rd or top of the 2nd and take Dwyer. I woud offer my 2nd and a 2011 third to move up and take Dwyer.

Rd.1 D.Williams
Rd2 Dwyer After moving up
Rd3 Spievey
Rd4 Petrus or Newhouse
Rd5 T.Skinner
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #29
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like the safety position has a slight lead over corner back. I guess we can all agree the secondary needs some help. Followed by DT and RB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Looks like the safety position has a slight lead over corner back. I guess we can all agree the secondary needs some help. Followed by DT and RB.
Until the Texans get a RB that can carry the ball 20 times, get the tough yards and doesn't fumble RB should be either no.1 or 2. IMHO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #31
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

voted safety but I don't want Mays.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #32
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Until the Texans get a RB that can carry the ball 20 times, get the tough yards and doesn't fumble RB should be either no.1 or 2. IMHO
I dont mind that. I think we can get a really good RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to pair with Slaton and Foster next year.

Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Ryan Mathews
Charles Scott
Old 02-16-2010   #33
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
voted safety but I don't want Mays.
What does everyone dislike about Mays?

All SC does is produce NFL talent.
i think he will be good in the nfl with the proper coaching.
Old 02-16-2010   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Iupati does not fit into the ZBS so I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. Especially with a guy like Mike Johnson available in the 2nd round. We also do not need to waste a 1st on a RB or WR. Dan Williams is a nice pick and if he's not available then Brian Price is okay. If Dunta leaves in FA then we need a CB, but CB is deep this year. If Thomas is available we need to take him. Weatherspoon is interesting. He would play WLB for us and in 2-3 years that would give us one of the best LB corps in the league. We have bigger needs though.
Iupati and Mike Johnson are pretty much same type of bull rush OGs and Iupati has quick feet. I agree that he is not best suited for our O. but neither is Johnson. Asamoah on the other hand
Old 02-16-2010   #35
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Iupati and Mike Johnson are pretty much same type of bull rush OGs and Iupati has quick feet. I agree that he is not best suited for our O. but neither is Johnson. Asamoah on the other hand
I would be fine with Asamoah but I think Mike Johnson would work very well in our system.

They run the same thing at Bama and he didn't seem to have any trouble.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #36
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Mays will do fine in the NFL. I just don't think it will be as a FS so I'm not interested in him.
Old 02-16-2010   #37
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Last season only three backs averaged 20 carries per game over the entire 16 game season (Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, and Steven Jackson).

The days where you need a 25 carry stud to be successful are over. It's great to have one but it is not essential.
Old 02-16-2010   #38
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36745 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Mays will do fine in the NFL. I just don't think it will be as a FS so I'm not interested in him.
What he said. Next to Ed Reed Mays is a Pro Bowler. He can hit like a truck. Texans don't need a hitter though. We need a guy that can cover in space. Mays gets burned on coverage.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #39
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My top 3 are Dan Williams, Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas. I think I'd be happy if we got one of those guys with our 1st. I'm fully on board going with BPA. I just want true studs and playmakers. If the guy is an elite all pro, pro bowl type of player, I say take him. I'm really against a WR/RB in the 1st round... but if the guy is going to be a Chris Johnson or Andre Johnson type of player, we'd be nuts to pass that up (obviously its hard to predict). I'm saying if Kubiak/Smith think this player is a 95-99... top 10 talent. Watch out offense!!

Many people think the 1st and maybe the 2nd round are our only shots at getting quality starters. I think this draft is going to be deep enough at positions we really want that we'll find quality starters and contributors throughout. I can see us getting impact players at DT, CB, FS and RB. Don't think I forgot about OL though. I really do think we're going to get really solid guys much like 2006.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I would be fine with Asamoah but I think Mike Johnson would work very well in our system.

They run the same thing at Bama and he didn't seem to have any trouble.
You think Alabama runs a ZBS like ours?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read