• (OT) Charles Brown, USC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (WR) Damian Williams, USC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blake

MMQB
Just for fun. If all of these players were available at our pick in the first round, which would you choose?

Robinson has not been resigned.
Daniels and Ryans have been resigned.

Feel free to write in a selection.

If Dunta does nor get re-signed or tagged, I see us going with CB Kyle Wilson. If Dunta's back this season I'd go with DT Dan Williams.

I chose Dan Williams in the poll because I think Dunta's back for at least this season.

Until the Senior Bowl I would have said Mike Upati but he looked horrible there.

Fo me it comes down to two players - Dan Williams and Earl Thomas , in this scenerio Dunta hasnt been resigned and that would make me lean twards the DB. I dont think I would be upset with either player.

I voted safety. I would rather fix the free safety position, and worry about my corner in round 2, where I could luck out and get someone like Perrish Cox, Franks, or Ghee.

CB Kyle WIlson without or with DR. You do not allow this type CB get past you. I have a FS later that will train behind Eugene Wilson.

Dan Williams has the biggest value if he's available but Kyle Wilson fills a bigger need, especially if Dunta leaves.

Dan Williams has the biggest value if he's available but Kyle Wilson fills a bigger need, especially if Dunta leaves.

I voted for Williams, but if DR leaves I could go with Wilson. Right now it's a toss up with me between Williams, Thomas, and Wilson. Whoever is there at 19/20 is fine. But if DR leaves, I think Wilson becomes more of a priority.

If Thomas is still there then I would take him. I would take Kyle Wilson, Dan Williams or Brian Price ahead of Mays though.

Donovan Warren for me. With coaching and veteran support, I have high hopes for Warren and I expect him to be able to compete in this league and surpass the likes of Marlin Jackson and Leon Hall. I like his height, 6'1", and if he could gain some muscle and get up to 200-lbs we will no doubt have one of the best DBs in the draft.

large_082108donovan.jpg

I voted Dwyer

I think it will come down to Williams,Thomas and Dwyer. If all three are there the Texans should be able to trade down a litte and get one of these guys.

If Dwyer had been on last years team the Texans would've had the opportunity to win the Jax and Ariz games plus maybe he can throw a HB pass LOL.

Dwyer would have the most impact on this team more quickly. It will take Thomas and especially Williams longer to get adjusted to the speed of the NFL game.

Quick, name one RB back currently on the roster you feel confident depending on next year to be a major contributor.

Foster or Moats? No thank you. Slaton? Are you confident enough in his come back and a later round pick to risk the season on them? We dont just need a starter we need depth too.

Quick, name one RB back currently on the roster you feel confident depending on next year to be a major contributor.

Foster or Moats? No thank you. Slaton? Are you confident enough in his come back and a later round pick to risk the season on them? We dont just need a starter we need depth too.

So what's your point? You want a RB taken in the 1st? I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.

So what's your point? You want a RB taken in the 1st? I'm pretty sure that won't be happening.

I think Spiller for sure maybe Dwyer depending how he runs are 1st round picks .

In the 2nd you can get Matthews , Best , Gerhart , Dixon , and someone that I've forgot .

After that you still have a host of folks including Blount .

I think Spiller for sure maybe Dwyer depending how he runs are 1st round picks .

In the 2nd you can get Matthews , Best , Gerhart , Dixon , and someone that I've forgot .

After that you still have a host of folks including Blount .

I was referring to the possibility of the Texans taking a RB in the first round. I just don't see it happening.

Iupati does not fit into the ZBS so I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. Especially with a guy like Mike Johnson available in the 2nd round. We also do not need to waste a 1st on a RB or WR. Dan Williams is a nice pick and if he's not available then Brian Price is okay. If Dunta leaves in FA then we need a CB, but CB is deep this year. If Thomas is available we need to take him. Weatherspoon is interesting. He would play WLB for us and in 2-3 years that would give us one of the best LB corps in the league. We have bigger needs though.

Nope ... that's probably not a bad thing either .

Is it me or is Peterson starting to feel all the hits after 3 years .

I reckon he probably is, just like any RB would than runs the way he does. Maybe it's just me, but I think RB's can be had throughout the draft. Unless there's a "once in a lifetime RB", I'll pass on choosing one in the 1st.

I reckon he probably is, just like any RB would than runs the way he does. Maybe it's just me, but I think RB's can be had throughout the draft. Unless there's a "once in a lifetime RB", I'll pass on choosing one in the 1st.

Once in a lifetime backs are a hit away from being a dime a dozen back and that's the problem . Priest Holmes looked like a once in a lifetime back running behind Roaf and Shields . That would be my preference , build a line , but I'm not sure that will happen yet .

Having said this , I hold Earl and Walter in high esteem because they really didn't have much around them at first . They still ran hard and gained yards even though the defense keyed solely on them .

Changed my mind

If Williams, Iupati and Dwyer are on the board at 20, I would pick Williams. He's going to be a stud.

I would also try to trade back into the bottom 1st rd or top of the 2nd and take Dwyer. I woud offer my 2nd and a 2011 third to move up and take Dwyer.

Rd.1 D.Williams
Rd2 Dwyer After moving up
Rd3 Spievey
Rd4 Petrus or Newhouse
Rd5 T.Skinner

Looks like the safety position has a slight lead over corner back. I guess we can all agree the secondary needs some help. Followed by DT and RB.

Looks like the safety position has a slight lead over corner back. I guess we can all agree the secondary needs some help. Followed by DT and RB.

Until the Texans get a RB that can carry the ball 20 times, get the tough yards and doesn't fumble RB should be either no.1 or 2. IMHO

Until the Texans get a RB that can carry the ball 20 times, get the tough yards and doesn't fumble RB should be either no.1 or 2. IMHO

I dont mind that. I think we can get a really good RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds to pair with Slaton and Foster next year.

Anthony Dixon
Ben Tate
Ryan Mathews
Charles Scott

Iupati does not fit into the ZBS so I wouldn't waste a 1st on him. Especially with a guy like Mike Johnson available in the 2nd round. We also do not need to waste a 1st on a RB or WR. Dan Williams is a nice pick and if he's not available then Brian Price is okay. If Dunta leaves in FA then we need a CB, but CB is deep this year. If Thomas is available we need to take him. Weatherspoon is interesting. He would play WLB for us and in 2-3 years that would give us one of the best LB corps in the league. We have bigger needs though.
Iupati and Mike Johnson are pretty much same type of bull rush OGs and Iupati has quick feet. I agree that he is not best suited for our O. but neither is Johnson. Asamoah on the other hand :clap:

Iupati and Mike Johnson are pretty much same type of bull rush OGs and Iupati has quick feet. I agree that he is not best suited for our O. but neither is Johnson. Asamoah on the other hand :clap:

I would be fine with Asamoah but I think Mike Johnson would work very well in our system.

They run the same thing at Bama and he didn't seem to have any trouble.

What does everyone dislike about Mays?

All SC does is produce NFL talent.
i think he will be good in the nfl with the proper coaching.

I think Mays will do fine in the NFL. I just don't think it will be as a FS so I'm not interested in him.

Last season only three backs averaged 20 carries per game over the entire 16 game season (Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, and Steven Jackson).

The days where you need a 25 carry stud to be successful are over. It's great to have one but it is not essential.

What does everyone dislike about Mays?

All SC does is produce NFL talent.
i think he will be good in the nfl with the proper coaching.

I think Mays will do fine in the NFL. I just don't think it will be as a FS so I'm not interested in him.

What he said. Next to Ed Reed Mays is a Pro Bowler. He can hit like a truck. Texans don't need a hitter though. We need a guy that can cover in space. Mays gets burned on coverage.

My top 3 are Dan Williams, Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas. I think I'd be happy if we got one of those guys with our 1st. I'm fully on board going with BPA. I just want true studs and playmakers. If the guy is an elite all pro, pro bowl type of player, I say take him. I'm really against a WR/RB in the 1st round... but if the guy is going to be a Chris Johnson or Andre Johnson type of player, we'd be nuts to pass that up (obviously its hard to predict). I'm saying if Kubiak/Smith think this player is a 95-99... top 10 talent. Watch out offense!!

Many people think the 1st and maybe the 2nd round are our only shots at getting quality starters. I think this draft is going to be deep enough at positions we really want that we'll find quality starters and contributors throughout. I can see us getting impact players at DT, CB, FS and RB. Don't think I forgot about OL though. I really do think we're going to get really solid guys much like 2006.

My top 3 are Dan Williams, Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas. I think I'd be happy if we got one of those guys with our 1st. I'm fully on board going with BPA. I just want true studs and playmakers. If the guy is an elite all pro, pro bowl type of player, I say take him. I'm really against a WR/RB in the 1st round... but if the guy is going to be a Chris Johnson or Andre Johnson type of player, we'd be nuts to pass that up (obviously its hard to predict). I'm saying if Kubiak/Smith think this player is a 95-99... top 10 talent. Watch out offense!!

Many people think the 1st and maybe the 2nd round are our only shots at getting quality starters. I think this draft is going to be deep enough at positions we really want that we'll find quality starters and contributors throughout. I can see us getting impact players at DT, CB, FS and RB. Don't think I forgot about OL though. I really do think we're going to get really solid guys much like 2006.
I agreed on the depth but aftter 3rd round most will not start until end of next season if then. Those are your depth rounds usually as you know but if we can get a starting CB,RB,OL or DT
in first 3 rounds, whoopee!

Last edited:
I agreed on the depth but aftter 3rd round most will not start until end of next season if then. Those are your depth rounds usually as you know but if we can get a starting CB,RB,OL or DT
in first 3 rounds, whoopee!
True most won't start, but I think Kubiak & Smith have a pretty good chance of finding the ones who can.

Take a look at the 4th round on since Kubiak joined us.
-Owen Daniels - 4th round TE, pro bowl calibre
-David Anderson - 7th round WR, solid contributor
-Fred Bennett - 4th round CB, really good rookie year, faded fast
-Brandon Harrison - 5th round S, had lots of PT even as starter
-Kasey Studdard - 6th round OG, decent depth had to start this year due to injuries
-Zac Diles - 7th round LB, starting LB
-Xavier Adibi - 4th round LB, solid depth and decent PT
-Dominique Barber- 6th round S, tons of PT, starting experience
-Glover Quin -4th round CB, arguably best CB on the roster

Some/most of those guys can sure use an upgrade but we've witnessed late round picks maybe immediate impact on our team. I do think this team has gotten better each of the past 4 years but we still sure could use upgrading. Not to mention if we lose some players like Dunta and Walter... and Pitts, it really creates some opportunity for these young guys.

You think Alabama runs a ZBS like ours?

I don't wanna say it is exactly like ours but when I watched Bama there looked to be a lot of similarities between how their o line is asked to block and what we ask our guys to do.

Im surpised that many people didnt pick Mike Upati, he is awsome and we need to improve our OL.

Well pearls before swine there BT. Until he's off the board Iupati makes the most sense to me. I can see the argument for the corner. I can see the argument for the free ranging safety. But taking a RB in the first round from a class generally regarded as low, makes no sense to me. I'd be more in favor of a move back and taking a shot at Pouncey. Fix the Gd o-line. Finally. And be done with it.

True most won't start, but I think Kubiak & Smith have a pretty good chance of finding the ones who can.

-Kasey Studdard - 6th round OG, decent depth had to start this year due to injuries

I think and I don't know how he graded out in the games, but as far as executing on down the field blocks and pass protection, Studard is more than just a back up. The guy is agile and mean. Don't want to break an original Texan's rice bowl. But I think if Pitts gets a big offer they are going with Studard at LG. Pitts walks. Just my guess.

Well pearls before swine there BT. Until he's off the board Iupati makes the most sense to me. I can see the argument for the corner. I can see the argument for the free ranging safety. But taking a RB in the first round from a class generally regarded as low, makes no sense to me. I'd be more in favor of a move back and taking a shot at Pouncey. Fix the Gd o-line. Finally. And be done with it.

My top 3 are D.Williams (I want to get a Tenn.DT Haynesworth and Henderson)

Dwyer finally a RB that can get short yardage and doesn't fumble

Iupati No problem with upgrading the OL, the reason I wouldn't go OL 1st is that Asamoah or Calloway should be there in the 3rd rd.

Calloway is an upgade who's comparable to Marshall Yanda with rhe Ravens.

Thats what I was thinking!

I don't wanna say it is exactly like ours but when I watched Bama there looked to be a lot of similarities between how their o line is asked to block and what we ask our guys to do.
I agree he is a great run blocker but not so sure on his pass blocking skills and we sure throw a bunch. Again, if Pitts is there, I'm ok with just about any OG behind him learning.

Back